PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Really healthy eating on a budget

Comments

• JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I feel really inspired by all your replies. Am compiling a collection of healthy recipes from Jack Monro website and others. Going to print and laminate them and then they're a handy reminder and they will survive being used in my messy kitchen!!!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Jenny another idea might be to put the printed recipes in plastic folders in a ring binder. It's amazing how many recipes you can fit into a binder! It's how I store my recipes. Think I might have to start another soon! Either that or go through it and ditch some of the recipes I've never tried for one reason or another.

Denise
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JennyP wrote: »
    I don't enjoy soup. Hardly ever. I like the idea. And it's cheap and healthy. Need to get into it.

I love stew so not sure why soup is any different.

Is it the texture of soup that puts you off? Are the veggies larger chunks so still have some bite?

As you probably know, some supermarkets have good offers on tomatoes, canned chick peas, dry lentils and coconut milk during Eid and Diwali so, if and when you have enough storage, it's worth keeping an eye open and stocking up. I will confess to buying tinned pulses, simply because of the convenience.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • JennyP
    joedenise wrote: »
    Jenny another idea might be to put the printed recipes in plastic folders in a ring binder. It's amazing how many recipes you can fit into a binder! It's how I store my recipes. Think I might have to start another soon! Either that or go through it and ditch some of the recipes I've never tried for one reason or another.

Denise

That's exactly what I was planning with my laminated sheets. I thought then I could add to it with magazine cut outs!
  • JennyP
    short_bird wrote: »
    Is it the texture of soup that puts you off? Are the veggies larger chunks so still have some bite?

As you probably know, some supermarkets have good offers on tomatoes, canned chick peas, dry lentils and coconut milk during Eid and Diwali so, if and when you have enough storage, it's worth keeping an eye open and stocking up. I will confess to buying tinned pulses, simply because of the convenience.

I don't know. I like the flavour. There's nothing wrong with the texture. I think maybe if it's a blended soup, I feel cheated. Like I haven't had a proper meal if I haven't chewed anything.

I know that sounds weird!
  • Cottage_Economy
    Cottage_Economy Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2018 at 7:46PM
    I have an autoimmune issue and have been gluten-free for three years.

The first year I whole-heartedly embraced all the gluten-free alternatives. Not only did I spend a fortune, I also put on over a stone in weight because the alternatives are loaded with fat for flavour and moistness. The penny dropped when I compared the calorie content of my husband's pain au chocolate treat with my own - 190kcals vs 520kcals. That's not a treat, it was a whole meal.

Fast forward to today and I have eliminated a lot of processed foods entirely. I could not get to grips with baking at all so gave up after I spent too much money trying and produced little that was edible, even using a breadmaker.

I now stick to meat, poultry, fish, fruit and veg, pulses, dried fruit and some grains, about 95% of the time. I extensively use herbs and spices. Soups, salads and jacket potatoes are good standbys.

Occasionally I have the odd pizza that I make myself from GF bases, tortillas if we have fajitas, and pasta, although with the latter I ring the changes by having a chunky sauce on a jacket potato probably half the time. Ditto chilli, which I prefer on a jacket potato rather than rice. About once a month or so we go out for afternoon tea somewhere and I have a GF cake.

Breakfasts were a problem with me to start with, as I couldn't fathom a filling breakfast without cereals or bread. Now I generally cycle between:
    • scrambled eggs with grated cheese, usually with a fresh tomato
    • yoghurt with fruit and nuts/oats
    • bacon and eggs
    • porridge with stewed fruit
    • turkey sausages and beans (sometimes I peel the sausages and flatten them into a sort of round)
    • An omelette with grilled toms, basil and sea salt (usually summer when I have a glut of toms)
    • hash browns with a dry-fried egg
    • leftovers from the night before - lazy and very naughty!

Going gluten-free is a big change and very frustrating until you master what you can and can't eat. I get quite rapid unpleasant effects from eating gluten within minutes, so I had a very clear indication when I had eaten something I shouldn't.

Eating out is difficult as you have to place a level of blind trust in restaurants that they will be careful with your food, and I've been lucky enough to only have one incident in the three years.

Good luck!

Edited to add: I buy my fruit and veg from either town markets or Lidl/Aldi as I find it generally too expensive at the normal supermarkets. I also try and grow my own. I always buy in bulk where possible, and stash yellow sticker bargains when I can. I keep meals simple but flavourful with herbs and spices. I'm also careful with portion sizes. I should also confess to keeping two chickens, so have 1-2 eggs a day but they have to go between three of us.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Just sidling in to say that unless your oats are 'gluten-free', then they may well be contaminated! If you are gluten intolerant, then that will most likely cause you no problem, but if you have coeliac disease, then normal oats will cause problems. And pure-gf oats aint as cheap as normal ones!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Another thing to add is that a lot of the specially marketed 'healthy' foods are no more healthy than normal foods, but cost a lot more. There was one of the Dr-led health/food programmes in January which looked at things like blueberries, kale, goji berries etc, and found they are nutritionally no better than things like apples, greens and citrus fruit respectively. Annoyingly I can't remember what it was called.

On this basis, don't be afraid to go for cheaper seasonal fruit rather than blueberries.
  • JennyP
    firebubble wrote: »
    Another thing to add is that a lot of the specially marketed 'healthy' foods are no more healthy than normal foods, but cost a lot more. There was one of the Dr-led health/food programmes in January which looked at things like blueberries, kale, goji berries etc, and found they are nutritionally no better than things like apples, greens and citrus fruit respectively. Annoyingly I can't remember what it was called.

On this basis, don't be afraid to go for cheaper seasonal fruit rather than blueberries.

I might try and find that programme - wonder if it was Trust Me I'm a Doctor. We don't watch it because hubby is a doctor and talks back to the telly.

Can't do multiple quotes but am not worried about oats being contaminated. I don't have coeliac disease. Cottage Economy, thanks for the breakfast ideas. It is breakfast that has me most stumped. At a friends house this morning and have succumbed to normal toast!
  • JennyP wrote: »
    I might try and find that programme - wonder if it was Trust Me I'm a Doctor.
    It might have been this - really interesting. Not yet available to watch. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07dxmyk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure