New power of attorney guide

Comments

• arthurx1234
    arthurx1234 Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Rosie1980 wrote: »
    It's the registration pack for enduring power of attorney, so if you had one written and signed years ago you can still register and use it.

So are the costs the same £110.00 per form?
    arthur
    BREXIT OOPS
  • Rosie1980
    Rosie1980 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes unless you qualify for any reductions in the fee, more details here:
    https://www.gov.uk/enduring-power-attorney-duties/register-an-enduring-power-of-attorney
  • Rosie1980
    Sorry Conniethecoton I don't know, given they haven't completed the process then the full £800 shouldn't be due and they should only bill for their time so far.
  • arthurx1234
    So are the costs the same £110.00 per form?
    arthur
    Crikey!!! have got the forms--- what a minefield
    Is there a guide for filling them in anywhere?

Arthur
    BREXIT OOPS
  • Rosie1980
    I think there is a guidance PDF in the same location as where you get the forms to print. My advice would be to complete the forms online then copy the completed form onto your paper forms.
  • arthurx1234
    Rosie1980 wrote: »
    I think there is a guidance PDF in the same location as where you get the forms to print. My advice would be to complete the forms online then copy the completed form onto your paper forms.

140+ pages I may be some time
    thanks for advice
    Arthur
    BREXIT OOPS
  • How long does it take to set up a lpa?

(Have a friend who recently diagnosed with terminal illness - 3 to 4 months max life expectancy)

I am worried that it will take too long to arrange?
  • My LPAs were drafted by my solicitor on 18 December 2015. They didn't send them off for registration until 31 March 2016. On 2nd August 2016 they received the Health & Welfare LPA from the OPG but they are still waiting for the Financial LPA to come back.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    A family member is currently in a nursing home after being diagnosed with cancer and also dementia.

We do not have a power of attorney set up, but we need to sort something out as soon as possible in order to arrange to pay costs for the care home.

They have funds in multiple accounts, but with no access to his accounts it is now critical that we can sort something out.

He has already written a will - but I'm not sure if this would also have arrangements in it for this type of situation, or whether it is purely on death - I don't know how we would find this out either.

Can anyone suggest the best way to proceed with this, as we don't know where to start ?

Thanks in advance
  • Firstly, please accept my deepest sympathies. Dealing with ill family members is emotionally and physically draining. Dealing with care homes is exhausting and dealing with the finances just adds further strain. I hope you are not alone and there are plenty of family to support one another. I wish you all the best and hope that this forum can help you as much as possible.

With regards to the LPA, if the person in question still has the mental capacity to do this then it's easy enough to get it filled in online, printed, signed, paid and sent. Although it will take a few weeks for it to come back. But the sooner you do it the sooner you'll have it.

However if said person no longer has the capacity to nominate someone to take care of things for them then you need to go down the route of becoming a deputy. I know nothing about this, other than it's harder and takes longer than an LPA, but you can get more info here: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2478

As an aside, now that you are experiencing first hand the difficulty in not having an LPA get one drawn up for yourself ASAP, spouse, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, inlaws - you get the idea, everyone should have one!

And finally do you know anything about Continuing Healthcare Funding? It doesn't matter how much money a person has if their primary need is a health one then the NHS should pay for their care. I can give more info on this if you are interested.

All the best, remember you can only be most helpful when you are well, take care of yourself.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback