Gas tank

Options
I have a 2nd viewing of a property shortly. The property is empty (probate sale) and the agents know little.

Boiler is supplied by a gas tank in the garden.

I am hoping to be able to switch the boiler on (I know - optimitic!), but is there a way to tell if there's gas in the tank? Do they have a guage? On the tank or in the property?

Anything else I should look at/for?

I'm familiar wth oil (and may consider switching depending if the boiler looks new or old), but have no experience with off-grid gas.

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've had bulk LPG for the past 30 odd years.

Our first tank was a 2000 litre one and the gauge was a knob at the end of the tank that you rotated until a probe touched the top of the liquid gas in the tank, once you had opened a small valve. It was very crude, but gave a reasonable indication of the amount in the tank.

The replacement tank was a standard Calor 1200 litre one which has a gauge on the top. There will also be a safety cutout on the top of the tank near the first HP regulator. This may have tripped. Instructions on how to reset it are here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9jZg4g64Bc

Assuming the house is a probate sale, then I would suspect that there are no supply contracts in place anymore. This means that you are free to shop around, but you will need to find out who is the current owner of the tank.

Prices vary considerably but as a new customer you should be able to get a good deal, including some free gas.

We currently pay 30ppl with a small local independent.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ta Mr G.

On the video, I assume the yellow handle is a manual shut off. At the start of the vvideeo it is virtical (paraallel tto tthe downward pipe) which I assume is 'on'?

When the regultor is being re-set I notice it is horizontal (off?), and assume it needs turning off before re-setting, and turning on again afterwards?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Indeed.

On my installation the yellow handle shut off valve is on the side of the house where the pipe comes out of the ground, rather than on the tank.

From a safety point of view, it's good practice to have it off while you do the reset.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Mine has a gauge on top (under a cover) measured in %
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts