Barclays travel credit card advice

Hi everyone: I've got a Barclaycard Platinum and I've had a Barclaycard for 14 years. I don't use it very often and pay it off in full every month when I do. Barclaycard gave me the no sterling fee bonus until February 2018 but they've not chosen to give me the next one that runs out in 2022. Should I apply for the Barclaycard Travel Platinum, and are there any drawbacks to doing so? Or do you think they might add it to my current credit card if I get in touch with them? My current benefits are about transfer fees which I've never used in my life, only having one credit card. I'm going for the Barclaycard because I'll use it to get cash out as a lot of the places I go on my travels are cash only and I'm a lot more comfortable carrying cash around than using my card all the time.

Comments

• You can currently only have 2 Barclaycards.

If you have one, and the online checker gives you a strong shot, I'd say go for it.

Once you have it, you can move some (maybe all?) of your limit from the old card to the new card.

I had a Barclaycard cashback with a high limit and they gave me something like £500 on the new travel card (cannot remember exactly, but it was very poor). Rang them up, agent didn't know what to do, spoke to a manager who moved some of my credit limit from the cashback card to the travel card.

I now use both as appropriate.

Note: you have everything to gain by calling them up and asking to extend the offer, they might do it... but if not, use your judgement on closing account or opening second one.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Rather than have a card where its benefits will run out in 2022, have you considered Creation or Clarity card which offer exactly the same as Barclaycard's travel card?

https://www.creation.co.uk/credit-cards/creation-everyday-credit-card
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/

If you want to stick with Barclaycard then you should either call them first and see if they'll extend your card to 2022, if not you'll have to close it and then apply for the new one which ends in 2022 because you're only allowed 2 Barclaycards at the moment.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Candyapple wrote: »
    Rather than have a card where its benefits will run out in 2022, have you considered Creation or Clarity card which offer exactly the same as Barclaycard's travel card?

If you want to stick with Barclaycard then you should either call them first and see if they'll extend your card to 2022, if not you'll have to close it and then apply for the new one which ends in 2022 because you're only allowed 2 Barclaycards at the moment.
    What's better? A four year guarantee or the risk of two months notice of a negative change?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Candyapple wrote: »
    A more appropriate view is probably that the benefits of the Barclaycard Travel card are guaranteed until 2022, whereas those of Clarity, Creation etc, are not, and can can change or be withdrawn at any time.

Also the Barclaycard differs to the others in that daily interest does not accrue as soon as a cash withdrawal is made.

A Starling Bank account will give unlimited fee-free overseas cash withdrawals. Don't rely on only one card when travelling, to avoid problems if a card is declined or lost etc.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    What's better? A four year guarantee or the risk of two months notice of a negative change?

I get what you're saying PW, but Creation Everyday card was launched 5 years ago now and I took out a Clarity back in 2012 so that's 6 years (not sure of when Halifax launched it) I highly doubt either company are looking to close those 2 cards down anytime soon. Yes never say never, but it's highly doubtful.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • keletkezes
    keletkezes Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Candyapple wrote: »

Thanks, but I don't like how interest is accrued from withdrawal, as that's how I tend to spend: a lot of my day-to-day purchases are at the farmers' market in a small town which is cash only! The Barclaycard offers me the best deal on cash withdrawal.
    You can currently only have 2 Barclaycards.

If you have one, and the online checker gives you a strong shot, I'd say go for it.

Once you have it, you can move some (maybe all?) of your limit from the old card to the new card.

I had a Barclaycard cashback with a high limit and they gave me something like £500 on the new travel card (cannot remember exactly, but it was very poor). Rang them up, agent didn't know what to do, spoke to a manager who moved some of my credit limit from the cashback card to the travel card.

I now use both as appropriate.

Note: you have everything to gain by calling them up and asking to extend the offer, they might do it... but if not, use your judgement on closing account or opening second one.
    That's really helpful, thankyou. I've messaged them (I despise ringing them) and if the answer's no, I'll probably just take the second one out. I know my credit limit was slashed on my other card, but from like £30k to £15k :D So I'm sure I can amange! I've already paid for large items on my travels anyweay, I just need some spending money :) I'l see what the OH's deal is with his cards and bank too :)
  • Got a response: they'll only issue one credit card now. I think I'll go back to the oldfashioned way and get money before I go :S
  • Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you considered using Starling bank, the debit card has no foreign fee transaction charges when withdrawing money and has the Mastercard conversion rate. You can transfer money into the account on-line using the phone app as and when you require, you also get instant alerts to your phone whenever it is used. Proved very useful on a recent trip abroad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure