Summer Hols CC Advice; Existing Clarity or Barclay Platinum?

keasy
keasy Posts: 36 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Hi folks,

I'm off on hols to the Balearic's in June.
It's been almost two years since I last used my Halifax Clarity card back in 2016 when I visited Mexico.
It worked out great back then (despite being very aware of the dodgy ATM's over there) and hardly cost me thing to withdraw cash.

Now the new hols are upon us and I was wondering if it's best to stick with my Clarity card or apply for the Barclay Platinum?

When abroad I always have the money I need in Sterling stored in my current account at home, so when I return I have the full amount covered and pay it off in full within a few days of returning.
It's just that I like the piece of mind of knowing I can withdraw the amount of cash I need as and when required. Not having to carry a fortnight's worth of holiday money is a lot more relaxed.

Any advice welcome, not too technical mind you, I'm an NHS worker! Ask me to rehab you after a new knee or hip and zero problemo but don't get me confused with money! :rotfl:

Thx.

Comments

• keasy
    PS.
    If anyone knows the ATM charges in or around Alcudia I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Thx again.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Assuming you clear balances in full, the Barclays option is marginally better as it won't charge you any interest. Clarity remains decent though, so worth retaining.

Starling Bank current account also a strong contender.

I believe Santander and Sabadell ATMs will charge you. If you are left with no choice, larger withdrawals are better value when the ATM has a flat fee.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    keasy wrote: »
    PS.
    If anyone knows the ATM charges in or around Alcudia I'd appreciate knowing that too.

Thx again.
    Many Spanish banks are now starting to make a charge for withdrawals, eg Santander is €5 I believe. There's a thread on the Overseas board detailing other banks' charges.

Banca March ATMs are still free to use (or were last month in the Canaries).

Be sure to select "without conversion" when prompted.
  • keasy
    Thanks for the reply folks.
  • Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Another vote for using Starling bank debit card. (Monzo would work too but limited cash withdrawals would limit usage)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure