Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SirFreddy wrote: »
    My Eon fixed 1 year V14 finishes on January 26th and the best quote online going forward from Eon is the V16 but that is £240 per annum more expensive.
    I would love to stay with Eon but not for £240, anything I can do before I use the Energy Club? TIA

Hi SirFreddy

Sorry we've nothing better for you at the moment. Your current tariff (Fixed 1 Year - version 14) was a discounted product and only available for a limited time. If you haven't already, you'll be receiving a renewal notice to let you know it's about to end. As I mentioned to molerat above, if you've registered for Price Alerts, we'll also be in touch if a new version of your tariff becomes available. This would be separate from the renewal notice.

Thought it might help to let you know a bit about the Price Protection window that kicks in when fixed term contracts like yours are about to end. The window's open from the date on the renewal notice until 20 working days after the contract ends. During this time and provided we're told, we'll make sure you're protected against any price changes that aren't in your favour whilst a change of supplier goes through. We'll work out which prices are cheapest, either the existing ones or the new prices, and charge these from the point the current tariff ends until a switch is complete. Switching usually takes about two and a half weeks. Also, exit fees don't apply whilst the Price Protection window is open.

If we don't hear from you, the account will automatically default to our standard plan once the fixed term contract ends.

Sorry I can't help more at this particular time SirFreddy but hope this is of interest.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    edited 23 December 2015 at 6:37PM
    Options
    user_234 wrote: »
    Hello,

My girlfriend currently uses the E.ON service for her electricity. Today she has received an e-mail stating that her monthly payment is to increase from £27 to £77. The e-mail states that she owes £100 because her monthly payments have not covered the amount of electricity used. So, E-ON want to increase her payment so she doesn't have to owe any more in future. Does this seem correct to anyone? She lives in a flat on her own. Any help would be brilliant, thank you.

Hi user234 and welcome to the Forums.

Already some excellent advice from Hengus. Thanks Hengus. Thought it might help if I added a bit more information about how these arrangements work and how your girlfriend can keep on top of her usage/payments going forward.

Payments are based on current prices and past usage. Changes to either can trigger a request for a new amount like the one she's received. Our Monthly Direct Debits aim to achieve as near as possible to a zero balance by the time of the annual review. To help, we review arrangements regularly but will only make changes at the mid-point and annual reviews. If previous payments haven't been covering usage and a debt has built up, this will be included in the ongoing arrangement and spread up to the next review. Once the debt has been cleared, payments can be lowered to cover the ongoing usage only. If it's possible to clear the outstanding balance or part of it earlier, we can reset the payments to cover the usage only or usage plus the remaining balance.

As Hengus says, make sure the account is billed up to actual meter readings and not estimates. If it is estimated, ask your girlfriend to let us have readings. We'll be happy to rebill and review her payments.

One of the tools on our website that Hengus mentions is the 'Direct Debit Manager.' This gives customers more control over arrangements including being able to change the amount. Comes in handy should circumstances change. Provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the change we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit if the payments are altered but usage doesn't change as expected.

Taking regular meter readings is a great way to help your girlfriend better understand her ongoing usage. Might help identify any particular high usage appliances and to see if any cut backs can be made. This will help her save money by saving energy. There's lots of information and tips on our website to help with this. They're on the 'Saving Energy' pages.

As Hengus says, make sure she's on the best deal for her. Pop the usage in kWh on to the independent comparison sites. This will list her options both with us and with the other suppliers.

Has she opted in to receive E.ON Rewards? She'll be able to earn up to 1500 points each year. These can be exchanged for either Tesco Clubcard points or High Street Shopping Vouchers. It's a free scheme but she'll need to opt in. This can be done online or over the phone.

Hope this helps user234. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • SirFreddy
    Options
    My V14 finishes on the 20th so I am going to see how much the new Eon plan which comes out on the 12th will cost me, hopefully not too much more, then I will stay with Eon. Too much and it is change via the Cheap Energy Club.
    Happy New Year All.
    Options
    Hi SirFreddy

I've been trying to find out a bit more about the new tariff you mention but the final details haven't been signed off. With people still away for Christmas and the New Year I don't expect to find out much more before the tariff goes live on 12 January 16.

With your current fixed price tariff finishing on 20 January 16, your prices will be protected for up to 20 working days after as you'll be in the Price Protection window I mentioned earlier. Should be time to have a look at the new tariff, see if it's any good and start a switch if it isn't.

Happy New Year to you too SirFreddy.

Malc
  • mallyboy5
    mallyboy5 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can honestly say i have found EON to be the best energy co both on price and communication as who wpuld complain if they offer to halve your bill after 6 months and before joining EON i was with one of the small companies who said my payment was £44 when i joined them but 2 months later increased my payment to £56 but when i got a quote from EON was told £46 but since my last reading THEY have dropped it to £23 and i send in readings every monthand its a digital meter so its easy to read so all i can say is a big thanks to EON
    Options
    Hi mallyboy5 and thanks for the feedback. Glad you're happy with the way we're looking after your account. Don't know if you're aware but there's an online tool to help you keep on top of the account including making sure payments continue to cover the ongoing usage. It's the Direct Debit Manager. It lets you make changes to the monthly payments and comes in handy should circumstances change.

Provided the account is billed up to the latest meter readings, payments can be changed by up to 20 per cent up or down. By up to 5 per cent up or down without readings. Before confirming the new amount, we'll let you know by how much we anticipate the account will be in credit/debit by the time of the annual review if payments are changed but usage doesn't alter as expected.

Thanks again for the kind words mallyboy5 and hope the above is of interest. Thanks also for sending in regular meter readings. It's the best way to keep things accurate.

Malc
  • elizabeth2015
    Options
    I've been with Eon for the last year and my tariff is about to end. I have been very happy with them apart from a little hiccup at the beginning over my intial meter reading.
    I think they have been a little slow coming out with a new fixed tariff to replace the old one and so I have already set a move in place as the variable price was going to be too much and I wanted to get moved before that kicks in. I was subsequently told by Eon via email a new tariff was coming out today but havent had any notice of it. Anyway, my switch is in progress but would be happy to come back to Eon if they could produce a comparable tariff.
    Options
    Hi elizabeth2015

Glad you've been happy with us, except for the hiccup at the beginning, and totally understand why you've looked to switch. The new tariff we emailed about is now on the website. Hope it's of interest.

Malc
  • RichieUK
    RichieUK Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been with Eon for nearly a year on the v14 tariff and whilst I have been happy with the CS the new v17 tariff doesn't appear very competitive for me. In particular the electricity is 13.703p/kWH on v17 compared to 10.440p/kWH on v14, a 31% increase. For me I can save approx £100 by switching suppliers, perhaps slightly more if I choose one which utilises my E7 electricity meter and I put the washing machine/drier and dishwasher on overnight.
  • stugra
    stugra Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Just spent 50 minutes on the phone to ask if E.ON wanted to keep me as a customer - they said not. For me:

Scottish Power £35 a year plus £30 cashback cheaper
    nPower £78 a year plus £30 cashback cheaper

A little incentive of just the £30 cashback equivalent would have been enough for me to stay :(

Time to switch again......
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure