Builder Issues

Options
We have started work on an extension and awarded a builder the job. But we have issues and wondering what our rights are if any.

Builder says they will show up at 10am to start work. Instead they showed up at 12:45. Did some work, then finished before 5pm and drove away without saying anything.

We have some decking in our back garden which is getting on bit. To erect scaffolding a piece of old decking has been removed - it was loose. Surely the builder should have asked permission?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have started work on an extension and awarded a builder the job. But we have issues and wondering what our rights are if any.

Builder says they will show up at 10am to start work. Instead they showed up at 12:45. Did some work, then finished before 5pm and drove away without saying anything.

We have some decking in our back garden which is getting on bit. To erect scaffolding a piece of old decking has been removed - it was loose. Surely the builder should have asked permission?

Would you rather your decking damaged?

So what’s in the contract about hours and schedule of works?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So what’s in the contract about hours and schedule of works?
    This. What did you agree when you awarded the builder the job?

You have the right to do as you please but you also have responsibilities to go with them, which include being clear about what it is you expect from the builder and him being clear about what he will do for you. What's does it say in your contract?
  • marginalone
    Options
    The quote listed what they were going to do. Nothing about hours of work.
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    We had the same problem with a builder. We terminated the contract and threw them out. Yes we had a delay in someone else taking over but we didn't want a bodged job or unhonest workmen working for us. The trust had gone
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    The quote listed what they were going to do. Nothing about hours of work.

If you have no contact and you are engaging contractors based purely on a quote (whatever this includes, and however this is defined) then you have no grounds for complaint.

This may sound painful but the converse could be the case. If you have not buttoned up your works by adopting a professional approach including a contract, then the builders could be taking advantage of you. It is possible you are being viewed as a soft touch, or a pushover, and you will be messed around from now until the end of the works.

Take your decking as an example. Scaffolding needed to be erected, your old decking was in the way, the builders probably thought this is old and manky, so it was removed. The builders view should also be considered - were you there when this occurred? If not why not? But also why had you not removed it before the works started? Clearly it was a hindrance to the builders and a safety issue - you cannot pitch scaffolding off decking. Which means it is possible the builders are annoyed with your lack of preparation. Since this is only day one perhaps matters do not look good for a harmonious building scheme?

Have a quiet think, and reflect on whether you need to up your game. Or whether you need to sit the builders down with tea and biscuits for a business meeting.
  • marginalone
    marginalone Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Furts wrote: »
    If you have no contact and you are engaging contractors based purely on a quote (whatever this includes, and however this is defined) then you have no grounds for complaint.

This may sound painful but the converse could be the case. If you have not buttoned up your works by adopting a professional approach including a contract, then the builders could be taking advantage of you. It is possible you are being viewed as a soft touch, or a pushover, and you will be messed around from now until the end of the works.

Take your decking as an example. Scaffolding needed to be erected, your old decking was in the way, the builders probably thought this is old and manky, so it was removed. The builders view should also be considered - were you there when this occurred? If not why not? But also why had you not removed it before the works started? Clearly it was a hindrance to the builders and a safety issue - you cannot pitch scaffolding off decking. Which means it is possible the builders are annoyed with your lack of preparation. Since this is only day one perhaps matters do not look good for a harmonious building scheme?

Have a quiet think, and reflect on whether you need to up your game. Or whether you need to sit the builders down with tea and biscuits for a business meeting.

I have been at home all the time and I was told that " we are putting up scaffolding " I left them to it.

Should I nanny them? ;-)
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    I have been at home all the time and I was told that " we are putting up scaffolding " I left them to it.

Should I nanny them? ;-)

Great response - completely ignoring all the valid points made and going for a winky face to try and mock someone who was offering valid and helpful advice.

Charming.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Should I nanny them? ;-)

If you're going to question everything that they do after each event, then the answer is 'probably'.

They won't like it, neither will you.

You could just ask them the question though. It makes sense to me that you can't have the weight of men transferred down a scaffolding poles then held up by a decking board. It's blatantly dangerous. Decking can be lifted and screwed back down again. No harm.

Are these questions really after one day of work? The timing may well have something to do with the availability of the scaffolding people. 10am isn't a normal start time for trade so they probably had a job beforehand. No one is going to start the next phase straight after scaffolding. In my timeline, scaffolding day is scaffolding, nothing else unless we've got unrelated work able to take place indoors.

If you ask your builder these questions, it's far better than getting annoyed, secretly asking the internet and then antagonising people who give a perfectly straight answer. You haven't employed someone on a contract which means you have decided to trust them. You need to do that on some level or the job will collapse faster than scaffolding built off a decking board.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you agree a timescale for the works? If not, then they can start when they like. It's common for builders to 'multi-task' between sites.
    Suggest you see how they get on over the next few days.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I don't think I've heard the term 'awarded' used for domestic building jobs before. It makes me wonder about the OP's expectations. My experience is that you're doing well if you get a builder to award you with a visit for a quote.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure