Wedding photographer under £500?

Hi,
I'm having a small low scale wedding in Liverpool in August and am looking for a photographer. We've got a budget of £5000 for the whole wedding, I was hoping to get a photographer for a few hours on a Thursday afternoon/early evening, but most of the prices have been for £600+, Typically their portfolios are aimed at bigger weddings rather than our small scale wedding of 40 to 50 people.

I'd be interested to hear if there are photographers or alternatives within my price range - maybe I'm just being unrealistic.
Thanks

Comments

• StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Depends how important professional photos are to your day.

Some people on small budgets will be happy to let friends and family take informal photos of their day without needing any professional ones.

Or put an advert on Facebook or similar asking for students studying photography who may be willing to do a few hours to help build their own portfolio.

I have done a few for family friends for a fee (a few hundred). Did my dad's for free. Not a subject I enjoy photographing really and you aren't just paying for their time on the day, it is all the work afterwards to help you put together an album etc.

Do lots of research, speak to the photographer's you have found they may have packages suitable for a smaller wedding etc within your budget, have an idea of what you want and ask to see examples.

If it is a small wedding and you don't need professional looking photos to complete your day then think about having all your guests pool their photos of the day onto an online hosting site of some kind and then you can choose your favourites to print and make your own album
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Failing that typing cheap wedding photography in Liverpool into your search engine throws up options that have packages under your budget
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Haylescom
    Haylescom Posts: 342 Forumite
    I'm not in your area but our photographer is someone who works another job in media and photography as a sideline. We know her work is good but it does mean she's been a little cheaper (we're near London so still fairly pricey).

Are there any local colleges who maybe have students? Or apprentice photographers that will be cheaper? It's a toughy, we didn't want to scrimp too much on such an important part, but some of our quotes for a basic package and limited number of photos were over a grand!
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would advise to ask to view some previous work, a relative got a cheap, part time photographer, awful photos.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    The costs to the photographer are not much less for a smaller wedding, getting to and from the venue is the same, there is unlikely to be another option for the rest of the day and the only cost saving will be editing time if there are fewer images. You could go down the disposable cameras route and hope that there are enough reportage style shots to make and nice album, or rope in a relative with a decent camera before they get drunk!
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I went the Student route got two one charged £100 the other did it for nothing preferring to get some experience (with the other more experienced Student and from me as a former pro sport photographer) the latter has turned into a really good wedding photographer no idea what happened to the other one.

Over 5 years ago now (still married) our wedding was simply to satisfy the home office really as neither really needed to be married to be committed to a relationship.

http://www.ourweddingphotoalbum.co.uk/

The free student

http://byrebeccaphotography.com/#home-4

Ask to see samples of their work talk to them meet them make sure they are confident enough.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • PrettyKittyKat
    PrettyKittyKat Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    You will be able to get a photographer for this cost, the reliability and quality of the work will need thorough checking before you book them. Some people may be starting out and need work for their portfolio, or be a student. It doesn't mean you can't get good quality at that price but you will likely need to search abit harder for it. Make sure you ask to see a full gallery of a wedding they have shot so you can see exactly what you will be getting. I am on wedding groups on facebook and there are lots of photographers advertising packages for around £500 or under so it can be done, maybe try joining them and asking.
  • i was researching on this for ours too, many photographers quotes are easily over a grand, crazy?! then i came through a service called Perfocal, wanting some feedback on them now... their gallery looks good and the price is almost too good, anyone can help pls?
    Saving for Wedding 2018: £1980/£5000 :j
  • oh btw, i'm afraid they only cover London now... not sure if they will do other cities, worth checking it out!!
  • haylescom wrote: »
    but some of our quotes for a basic package and limited number of photos were over a grand!
    exactly!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family