Cannot Upgrade from Yosemite to El Capitan?

I am trying to upgrade my MacBook Air Mid 2013, from Yosemite (10.10.5.) to El Capitan. When I try and do this in the App Store, I simply get the message 'This Version of OSX 10.11 cannot be installed on this computer.'

Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Your MacBook Air should run the latest OS, High Sierra, without problems and you should be able to upgrade to that directly from the App Store. The older versions have been removed and the only way to get hold of them is via a saved copy somewhere. This also means that if you are likely to want to revert to an older version you will need to make a bootable DVD or USB stick with the existing OS on it before doing the upgrade.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    One possible place to look is the Mac App Store.

If you open it up and click on 'Purchased' at the top of the program window (you'll need to sign in first) it'll show a list of apps you've installed and OS X may be amongst those.

Are you trying to upgrade to High Sierra via El Capitan?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I agree with the post above that you should be able to go straight to High Sierra.

I was upgrading a Lion machine the other week which couldn't go straight to High Sierra, it had to go to El Capitan first which I'm thinking is why you can see El Capitan on the store. Since your OSX install is newer that (I think it was only 10.6 or 10.7 that needed the hop to El Capitan first), you should be able to go straight to High Sierra.
  • I will look into the High Sierra upgrade. The main challenges are disk space, and possibly some software packages I rely on, not being compatible.

Cheers.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I will look into the High Sierra upgrade. The main challenges are disk space, and possibly some software packages I rely on, not being compatible.

Cheers.
    Check the software you use is compatible with the OS.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Be very careful about this. Mac OS new versions are poorly back-compatible with old software so a whole bunch of vital and expensive software may need to be re-purchased.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Either you haven't got enough storage, or your computer is too old and not compatible with the new software
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure