PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does a decision in pronciple mean no house to sell

Options
Hi there

If someone has a decision in principle, does that by necessity mean they have no house to sell ?
Thanks

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    No, it means that a mortgage company will 'in principle' lend them what they're asking for.
  • tingly
    tingly Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh i see thanks. So i still might have to wait for a sale then. Thanks
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tingly wrote: »
    If someone has a decision in principle, does that by necessity mean they have no house to sell ?
    Oh i see thanks. So i still might have to wait for a sale then. Thanks

Are you saying that you've accepted an offer on your property, and you're wondering if your buyer has a property to sell?

You should really have found out that kind of information before accepting the offer. If they do have a property to sell, you'd also want to know whether it is under offer, if there is a chain below, whether the chain is complete etc.

If you're selling through an EA, those should be the type of things they automatically ask.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there

Thanks

No, the "in principle" means in theory we'd loan this much, depending on
    a) the house you're buying
    b) proof of what you've said about your affordability

They could still be selling a house and only borrowing the additional to buy your house if it's more expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure