My Furry Baby's Gone

Options
Charlie died today, aged 18 and a half. We are devastated. I can't bear it. He will never snuggle against me in bed again. Please, somebody, say something.

Comments

• SuperMoose
    Options
    So so sorry to hear about Charlie :(
    Sending hugs to you all xx

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fak.imgag.com%2Fimgag%2Fproduct%2Ffull%2Fap%2F3066884%2Fgraphic1.gif&f=1
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much, SuperMoose. We loved him so much. It was kidney failure, which I know is common in older cats but four months ago he wasn't just fine, he was great. Still flinging himself on to the top of six foot fences, all of that.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
  • SuperMoose
    Options
    Charlie sounds absolutely lovely :heart:
    He was very lucky to be with people who loved him so much :)

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F236x%2Fb6%2F11%2F22%2Fb611227ccb9bef25b271421c71b6845f.jpg&f=1
    Please put out food and water for the birds and hedgehogs :)
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Thank you so much, SuperMoose, you are an angel. :A He was truly a great soul, the only cat I have ever heard of who would let me cry on his shoulder. He had some Bengal in him and, apparently, they do not dislike water as most tiggers do.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    So sorry to hear your sad news, Smodlet.
    :grouphug:
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Thank you, Pollycat, your kindness is very much appreciated. He was our last one; we lost his sister four years ago. I can't do it again, it hurts too much but we were so privileged to know both of them and the other cats who graced our lives.

Charlie was "the one", if you know what I mean, though of course, I loved them all but he was my best furry friend. It was as if he could read my mind. He always knew when I was down. He is greatly missed.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I lost my last 2 boys to kidney failure, it really is heart-breakingly sudden.

We've not had another cat, although it's (almost to the day) 6 years since Murphy died. I'm in tears now.
    We holiday a lot, 7 weeks planned this year and when you add on the extra days at the beginning and end of each holiday to go to and from the cattery, that's too long for a cat.
    Our old boy was used to it, he was only 5 months when he first went in and we were still working then so limited on the amount of holidays we could take. And by the time we'd retired, he was used to going to his 'second home'.

I harbour a secret wish that a little cat will turn up on my doorstep desperately needing a home - so it will be a 'done-deal'.

Have you ever read Deric Longden's 'The Cat who came in from the cold'?
    My old boss bought it for me when I'd lost my previous cat.
    I laughed and I cried. And laughed again.

He wrote quite a few others about his various cats and 2 others that you might have heard of:
    Lost for Words filmed with Thora Heard and Pete Postlethwaite
    Diana's Story filmed as 'Wide-eyed and legless' with Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters

Thinking of you.
  • Smodlet
    edited 5 February 2018 at 11:33AM
    Options
    OMG, Pollycat, OH and I have just been saying the exact same thing. We can't have another cat, we're too old to give the years to a healthy one and cannot face taking on one we know is already old or ill but what if one just rocked up on the door step...?

I have not heard of the book you mentioned but may look out for it on second-hand sites. Really skint at the moment, what with all the vet's bills and being royally messed around by the insurance company.

I am very sorry for your loss, too. Sorry to have reminded you but I bet Murphy was a real character, wasn't he? I am trying to remember the good times; please do the same.

Thank you again, and to SuperMoose, for being so lovely. :A:A
  • jenny-wren
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie. Although I didn't know him, there are tears in my eyes as I type. It's heartbreaking when you have to say goodbye to a pet.

Our pampered puss was diagnosed with kidney disease just 3 months ago. We don't know how long she has and although her treatment is going well, we are taking each day as it comes and making every day the best we can for her. As pet owners it's what we do. Charlie obviously has a special place in your heart and you gave him a fabulous 18 years of love. :heart2:

We never really planned to have a cat but our kitty turned up as a stray on our doorstep 4 years ago next month. Now we can't imagine life without her. Cats find their way into our homes and into our hearts. You can never replace Charlie but, who knows, another cat may just find you.

Hugs :grouphug:
    Norn Iron Club Member 330 ;)
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So sorry for your loss, Charlie is at peace and will always be with you in happy memories.

Kidney failure is very hard to detect unless they are running blood tests and it comes up. My girl is nearly 15 and because she was at the vet for something else and they decided to do a full spectrum blood work they found she had started towards kidney failure. They started her on the medicine and special food with blood tests every 2 months. She looks fine and no sign of kidney problems before the tests. I know at some point this will stop working but I and my vet are trying to keep her from going downhill for now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure