DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Comments

• selinek
    selinek Posts: 71
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Keezing wrote: »
    How you choose to pay your debts is up to you, not Step Change. If Step Change are not acting in your best interests, then it’s best to cut them out.

Personally, I would direct all of my available funds towards the enforceable debt.

The unenforceable debts can wait. For as long as you choose to make them wait. Forever, if need be.

Thank you keezing. I was thinking I was being ungrateful because step change had got me out a financial hole. I will sort out tomorrow.
  • selinek
    Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    If only one debt is enforceable, you no longer need a DMP.

Cancel it, just deal with the one remaining debt yourself.

If any of the others do produce compliant paperwork in the future, look to self management.

Thanks to you... I’m more confident in what I’m doing. No doubt I will be sent threatening letters , but I’ll hold my nerve now I know whos in the right :)
  • Hi selinek,

If I were you i would go self dmp we are all here to help you. As for your creditor with the correct paper work i would keep paying the same amount that they currently recieve and put the rest of the money that you were paying your other creditors in your emergency fund or a savings account incase you get a great full and final offer through, that is what I am currently doing , 1 off my creditors is for 13k they were getting nearly £100 per month, I cca,d they in may still not received it yet so I stopped paying them and put the money away for when I get a decent full and final offer through

Hope this helps

Max
  • selinek
    Forumite
    Hi selinek,

If I were you i would go self dmp we are all here to help you. As for your creditor with the correct paper work i would keep paying the same amount that they currently recieve and put the rest of the money that you were paying your other creditors in your emergency fund or a savings account incase you get a great full and final offer through, that is what I am currently doing , 1 off my creditors is for 13k they were getting nearly £100 per month, I cca,d they in may still not received it yet so I stopped paying them and put the money away for when I get a decent full and final offer through

Hope this helps

Max

Hi Max that’s really to good know. I was reluctant to end my ties to step change for the reason mentioned earlier. I am coming to understand that whilst I am grateful to them I have been scared to change . I feel confident and reassured by the support shown on here to take over my debts.

The creditors you’re not paying did they get nasty , if you know what I mean ?
  • Hi selinek

No not really as what is the worst they can do?, YOU don't have to speak to them on the phone , if they do phone you tell them you will only deal with them through email or letters, without the proper paper work all they can do is ask for you to pay but they can't force you i,e take you to court , so ignore them until they produce a legitimate cca

Max
  • selinek
    Forumite
    Hi selinek

No not really as what is the worst they can do?, YOU don't have to speak to them on the phone , if they do phone you tell them you will only deal with them through email or letters, without the proper paper work all they can do is ask for you to pay but they can't force you i,e take you to court , so ignore them until they produce a legitimate cca

Max

You’re right max . Thank you :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    selinek wrote: »
    You’re right max . Thank you :)

You will find, if you write to the accounts that have not produced compliant paperwork, and tell them outright you are not paying because they are in default of your CCA request, they tend to go quiet.

Occasionally they will sell on the debt, you just respond telling them the above, that usually shuts them up.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • selinek
    Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    You will find, if you write to the accounts that have not produced compliant paperwork, and tell them outright you are not paying because they are in default of your CCA request, they tend to go quiet.

Occasionally they will sell on the debt, you just respond telling them the above, that usually shuts them up.

I will definitely give it go. I’m ready for whatever happens. Emailing letter to stepchange cancelling DMP as my 1st step . :D
  • torheb
    torheb Posts: 20
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi just after a bit of advice - dmp has been set up with SC since May but barclaycard haven’t frozen the interest on our outstanding credit card debt and we keep getting letters saying we owe so much in late payment fees etc - is there a template letter for getting them to freeze interest and charges and has anyone had any direct experience like this with barclaycard - thank you
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    torheb wrote: »
    Hi just after a bit of advice - dmp has been set up with SC since May but barclaycard haven’t frozen the interest on our outstanding credit card debt and we keep getting letters saying we owe so much in late payment fees etc - is there a template letter for getting them to freeze interest and charges and has anyone had any direct experience like this with barclaycard - thank you

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Freeze-interest-%28sole-name%29.aspx

Change a few bits, mention the DMP with SC etc.

Note that they do not have to do so, but you can argue of unfair treatment of someone in financial crisis if the continue to refuse.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure