Ombudsman Contact

I claimed against Canada Square in November 2012. They rejected the PPI complaint back then. I did not go to the ombudsman within 6 months. I recently decided to put another complaint in and all they said was that there was no new information, they had already investigated and again rejected the complaint. Effectively starting the process again.

I then went to the ombudsman who tell me that because I did not go to them within 6 months of the final response in 2012 they cannot help. They asked Canada Square if they could look at my file and Canada Square refused. I was under the impression that if you started the complaint again, you then had the chance to go to the ombudsman.

They do say that if there were exceptional circumstances as to why I did not go to them within 6 months, they may be able to help and I did have some personal issues with my family back then but having opened the complaint again, I am unsure as to why they are unable to help?

:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    You cannot reopen or submit a new complaint for the same thing, that would be nonsensical.

The FOS are correct, your complaint has been timebarred. For exceptional circumstances to apply you would need to provide solid evidence of how they stopped you from appealing and why they have stopped you doing anything for the past five years.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You can't start the complaint again, you already complained once and were rejected and didn't use the FOS.
    You don't get to make the same complaint over and over.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was under the impression that if you started the complaint again, you then had the chance to go to the ombudsman.

No. That is not the case. It would also be illogical. You and the firms would be stuck in a constant loop forever.
    They do say that if there were exceptional circumstances as to why I did not go to them within 6 months, they may be able to help and I did have some personal issues with my family back then but having opened the complaint again, I am unsure as to why they are unable to help?

You would have to explain, not just the first 6 months after, but the whole period from 2012 to 2017. The FOS rarely overule the 6 month timebar. Cases where they have tend to be incapacity for the most of the period or bereavement where the follow up to the FOS is within a reasonable period after. I doubt you have had any issues that could explain away a 5 year period.

They cannot help as you did not refer your complaint within 6 months. You are now barred unless the firm volunteer to look at it again.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Can I re-open my complaint?

Each time you complain, a financial company needs to give you a final response. This response must mention the Ombudsman's free service, and it can get in trouble if it doesn't. In 2011, RBS and NatWest were fined for not doing this (see MSE News).

If you don't get a final response, or it doesn't mention your right to use the Ombudsman within six months of its letter, your timeframes are extended.

In this case, you’ve three years from when you knew you could make a complaint, OR six years from the event you're complaining about taking place.

If you're still within these timeframes and would like to pick up a complaint where you left off, simply contact the Ombudsman and ask it to take on your case. The Complain to the Financial Ombudsman section above includes links to the forms and a free guide to filling them in.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    They rejected your complaint. You got a final response. Are you saying they didn't tell you about the Ombudsman? They will be able to produce the letter that proves otherwise.

Your final response this time was "you complained about this five years ago and we are not going to look at this issue again". You have referred this decision to the Ombudsman and they agree with Canada Square.
  • In the middle of house moves, it ended up being bottom of the list then forgotten about. Never mind.
  • Blockyb wrote: »
    In the middle of house moves, it ended up being bottom of the list then forgotten about. Never mind.
    You expect the world to stop because you moved house?
  • Erm no but thanks for the constructive feedback. By constructive I do of course mean pointless and time wasting.

I have my own circumstances which i do not need to go in to involving health and family matters.

I was simply after some advice but I shan't ask again.
    :T:T
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Blockyb wrote: »
    I claimed against Canada Square in November 2012.

:mad::mad::mad:

Yes, but they have to be exceptional - including fire, flood, severe ill health or depression ie effectively incapacitating yourself from pursuing the matter in the usual timely manner.

Yes, it's also true that the RBS group did send out a few final letters around a decade ago in which they neglected to detail the customer's appeal rights, but I haven't heard of any such letters more recently than that.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure