Daughter moan

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A £4 taxi ride makes her 'stuck up'? More like sensible.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How much is it to leave your car at park and ride for the duration of your hol?

Will it be covered by your car ins for this period away from your home and in what amounts to a public car park?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are spending £5K + on a river cruise, flying to start point but flight is from Manchester at daft o'clock am. So we opted for a hotel stay overnight, followed by very early breakfast and a short shuttle bus to the terminal. We both have mobility problems: I walk with a stick, we carry a roller case each and a backpack each for cabin luggage. Mobility issues mean a whole different way to go than yours, but I recall with horror deciding to walk years ago, across seemingly endless London streets to get the Gatwick shuttle, from Victoria bus station. Never again!

We are far from wealthy, in our seventies, but this is a big anniversary year so we decided to "put the boat out"! (Pun definitely intende, lol!)

Get there how you wish, but were we in your shoes, even if we had hale and healthy bodies, I would take the taxi and start the holiday in comfort.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I see the OP is scottish, but even so walking!!! to a cruise terminal, has to be a wind up
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    I see the OP is scottish, but even so walking!!! to a cruise terminal, has to be a wind up
    I think so too.
    Especially when the OP has posted:
    r2015 wrote: »
    I usually stay and park at a hotel near the airport, it sometimes works out cheaper and is handy if your flight is early in the morning.
    :cool:
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think quite a few posters have not understood the dilemma that OP is wrestling with. The big question is whether to drive, incurring fuel and other costs, or to take the free bus and then either walk or taxi to the cruise ship at a cost of either £0 or £8. I think even the OP is likely to think that the walk is a bit daft, so it's whether to pay fuel costs (and possibly have the daughter using the car while away) or £8.

I'd probably be inclined towards the £8 option except I can't quite see why the fuel costs would be for 120 miles of travel, when the port is 30 miles from home, so surely it's 60 miles for the return journey.
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    I'm tight/poor, my thought was "why skimp so much on travel if you're going on a pricey cruise". Seems a bit lop-sided. It's important to save money where you can, on things that you can do without/go without - but, I'd rather arrive at the boat fresh, rather than moaning about fellow bus passengers and any hold ups.

I don't think 3k is a pricey cruise to be honest, £1500 each is very reasonable obviously depending on where you are going though.

We cruise at least twice a year, usually departing from Southampton, well over a two hour drive for us, we either catch a bus down then taxi to Cruise Terminal even tough it is within walking distance of Bus Depot,usually less than half a mile, or park and board, either way you still have to walk a short distance to the Ship.

OP do what's best for you and enjoy sailing.
    :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I'd probably be inclined towards the £8 option except I can't quite see why the fuel costs would be for 120 miles of travel, when the port is 30 miles from home, so surely it's 60 miles for the return journey.

The OP's daughter would be dropping them off and picking them up. You must be really tight with money if you expect the daughter to wait there for the whole cruise and not drive home after picking them up :rotfl:
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    R2015. My daughter likes dropping me off at the airport so she can keep my car while I'm away too. :rotfl:

p00 xx
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    The OP's daughter would be dropping them off and picking them up. You must be really tight with money if you expect the daughter to wait there for the whole cruise and not drive home after picking them up :rotfl:
    The OP appears to be considering leaving his car at a Park & Ride:
    r2015 wrote: »

So I can leave my car at a park and ride and get a bus to the town where the cruise is sailing from and then either walk from the bus terminal, about 1.2 miles, or get a taxi.
    Rather him than me. :whistle:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport