Appealing a fine & points?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I discovered on my mock driving test that I couldn't read the plate at the right distance - I had already done all the test paperwork, and had a date for the actual test. I wore glasses on the test.

I have 01 on my licence.

So it's definitely as simple as "Is the candidate wearing glasses? [x] Yes [ ] No" = 01

There's a myriad of ways in which somebody who did wear glasses might not need them now to be legal, so the 01 can only reasonably be advisory. Lenses, corrective surgery, simple and natural changes in the eye etc etc.

If he's had a fixed penalty through, then he has a simple choice. He can pay it and take the points - or he can contest it, and take it to court.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    They go to alcohol & drug swab him, the driver cop gives him a hard time over it trying to make out like he's panicking & sweating (he wasn't & wasn't) .

What is this swab test? Never heard of it.
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post
    So what offence are they intending to prosecute him for?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sheramber wrote: »
    They go to alcohol & drug swab him, the driver cop gives him a hard time over it trying to make out like he's panicking & sweating (he wasn't & wasn't) .

What is this swab test? Never heard of it.

Saliva test for certain drugs.

Here an explanation
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39655137
    ====
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    I discovered on my mock driving test that I couldn't read the plate at the right distance - I had already done all the test paperwork, and had a date for the actual test. I wore glasses on the test.

I have 01 on my licence.

So it's definitely as simple as "Is the candidate wearing glasses? [x] Yes [ ] No" = 01

There's a myriad of ways in which somebody who did wear glasses might not need them now to be legal, so the 01 can only reasonably be advisory. Lenses, corrective surgery, simple and natural changes in the eye etc etc.

If he's had a fixed penalty through, then he has a simple choice. He can pay it and take the points - or he can contest it, and take it to court.

Ditto! I was doing final preparation for my test and my driving instructor said "Better just check your eyesight, but I'm sure it's ok..." She was shocked that it was so bad! Didn't have time for an eye test (I didn't wear specs then) so did test without and passed. Got my eyes tested a couple of weeks later and was amazed what a difference specs made. But opticians keep telling me I don't need them for driving(?).
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Every day is a learning day. I've had my licence since 1984 and never noticed the 01 code. Not really a problem as driving without some form of sight correction would barely get me out of my drive.
  • Mercdriver wrote: »
    Just because we have had our differences, doesn't mean you have to carry them into every interaction :)

On the case of removing the "01" DVLA should be able to tell your friend, but it may require an eyesight test at an opticians first to verify.
    Well first off i'm used to everyone else bringing it in to every interaction so it's just an auto-reaction. So on that note, apologies. It's never anything personal but the sheer number of people looking to pick any little hole has me on the defensiveoffensive every time. I can't say it wont happen again but nothing is meant by it really.

Regards the eyesight test - genuine question here, but another one? Bearing in mind he had one yesterday and has the 'results' card as proof?
    Tarambor wrote: »
    When he did the HGV medical he will have been asked prior to the eye test portion of the examination whether he wore glasses or not. He would have then taken the eye test. That would have been entered on the HGV medical form and whether he needed to wear them to pass the test or not.
    I was never there so obviously can't comment but let's say you only need them in my case - for being on the PC at home but don't need them for anything else.

This would then get marked on your licence as needing them to drive??

Seems a bit silly and very wrong. If you can pass any 'can you read that number plate over there' test or any other eyesight test they do then why should wearing glasses at night time when reading impact on your driving?
  • a.turner
    a.turner Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post
    Well first off i'm used to everyone else bringing it in to every interaction so it's just an auto-reaction. So on that note, apologies. It's never anything personal but the sheer number of people looking to pick any little hole has me on the defensiveoffensive every time. I can't say it wont happen again but nothing is meant by it really.

Regards the eyesight test - genuine question here, but another one? Bearing in mind he had one yesterday and has the 'results' card as proof?

I was never there so obviously can't comment but let's say you only need them in my case - for being on the PC at home but don't need them for anything else.

This would then get marked on your licence as needing them to drive??

Seems a bit silly and very wrong. If you can pass any 'can you read that number plate over there' test or any other eyesight test they do then why should wearing glasses at night time when reading impact on your driving?

No, because you wouldn't need them to drive and even if you did until the dvla are informed there's no marker.

What offence are the points for?
  • robatwork wrote: »
    I need glasses or contact lenses for driving. If I didn't wear them I would be more than dangerous.

So from the police point of view they can't see on a licence if a) I am very short sighted b) just a tiny bit short sighted c) admin error and I don't in fact need any correction.

So your "fish for any little thing" is asking the police to guess that Bob was b) or c)

Are you really saying it's a jobsworth thing to stop someone driving who needs glasses but isn't wearing them?
    I knew someone would take exception to the jobsworth comment.

The copper was basically being an A-hole, end of.

He had 2 options. Option 1...

Right this is why we've stopped you. Can you prove you're insured?

Yes
    Ok thanks. We're just going to test for alcohol & drugs.
    That's fine.
    Right now can i just have a look at your licence?
    Yes
    Ah you weren't wearing glasses. Here's a fine.

No problem there.

However he took the unnecessary idiot approach...

Throwing Bob's phone back at him, snorting that the email with the pay reference for the road tax payment was 'no good to me'. Then once the insurance had been proven & was asked what about the tax now it 'doesn't matter' ... yet it mattered 10 seconds ago. Make your mind up!!? If the photo of the email wasn't 'good enough' then surely he should satisfy himself until he has something that IS good enough.

Grilling him on the drugs & alcohol test. You've got something to hide haven't you. You're sweating (he wasn't) you're panicking (he wasn't - on account of not having drank for god knows how long and doesn't do drugs).

If he had passed the licence 'test' i've no doubt that moron copper would've then got out of the car and pulled Bob's car to bits looking for any little thing that he could have him on, but as he'd done this on test number 3 he had satisfied himself so didn't need to go to that stage.

His attitude was totally unnecessary. If Bob had been an A-hole to begin with and given the attitude then i could understand, but Bob knew it was in his interest to play the yes sir no sir game.
  • Ditto! I was doing final preparation for my test and my driving instructor said "Better just check your eyesight, but I'm sure it's ok..." She was shocked that it was so bad! Didn't have time for an eye test (I didn't wear specs then) so did test without and passed. Got my eyes tested a couple of weeks later and was amazed what a difference specs made. But opticians keep telling me I don't need them for driving(?).

Yes i get your point - which is also the reason i told him to get back down to the opticians after this episode for another test (as well as the fact he hadn't been tested in a little while).

My reasoning was based on the point you're getting at - two people can say 2 different things. My wife can only see out of 1 eye (birth defect on account of being born after only 21 weeks or thereabouts). Her other eye is like Hawkeye. She went to an opticians years ago & they told her she needed to wear glasses. She explained the situation but they said she needed to wear glasses. Fact of the matter is no operation will give her sight in her bad eye, she's blind, end of so it can't be corrected. She can go instantly to the smallest writing on the test card & read without hesitation.

...goes to another optician who tells her they don't know what the other optician was talking about but she most certainly does not need glasses.

So just because one says [XYZ] doesn't mean it's correct or incorrect.

In the case of Bob, if he can pass these sight tests and feels he doesn't need glasses to drive then it's worth a second opinion as to whether he does or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure