Can you live off your investments/savings?!

Comments

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Living off investments is one thing. Living of savings is something completely different as the returns are just not there. To live of savings would you need far larger sums on the basis that it would need to last you for 'x' number of years, suffer capital erosion and inflation erosion with very little, if anything, being added to the pot.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    true that! Investing or a lottery win is the only hope.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Many retired people "live of the interest" on their savings avoiding using any of the capital, but it is not a good strategy.

Firstly it means your income goes up and down with interest rates. When the crash happened and interest rates fell many people who were living off large interest payments suddenly had to cope with less. A better strategy might be to take less out when they are high and more (i.e. capital too) when they are low.

Secondly inflation means you have less to spend each year, and it eats away at it surprisingly quickly. To counter this without eating into the capital (in real terms) you would have to add an amount equal to inflation each year. But since the interest rate is not likely to exceed inflation that makes the whole plan impractical.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    On today's level of savings returns and at current inflation rates I hesitate to say people can live off just the interest but many of us who are early retired have calculated how long the capital will last until other income streams kick in. Investment returns are higher but not guaranteed and again there are pitfalls in that you might not be able to access it easily at certain points in the investment cycle.

We use our savings/investments to subsidise our current pensions. A generally accepted good drawdown on investments is 3-4% without eroding capital. We only need them to last around 7 years though until our state pensions kick in too.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dividendhero
    dividendhero Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2019 at 5:58PM
    Yes it can be done, but you need a fair chunk of money.

UK average wage is £26k, to get this from the FTSE100 as a natural dividend you'd need £600,000 in a tracker. If you want to be more secure and go overseas you'll need a tad more £900,000 will do the trick

Good news is that you won't pay any NI and won't have to get out of bed in the morning :D
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    NoMore wrote: »
    The hope is the growth on the investments beats inflation

If income is withdrawn. Then there's a probability of a very low return in the longer term.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2019 at 7:30PM
    I'll be living off savings and investments pretty much completely until we get SP at 66 (I am aged 61 and a half right now). We're spending it as we will be dead at some point and as yet there is no guaranteed way of taking it with you......
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    A lot of it is just luck, as regards savings bonds anyway. It depends what sort of interest rate you can tie down when you take a bond out, and whether to gamble on the maximum term. I do this nowadays as I have no expectation of rates going up in the next decade.

Dreading 2020 and 2022 as my best monthly income bonds will mature, and it's highly unlikely I will be able to reinvest at a comparable rate.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• prezzacc
    prezzacc Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Really interesting reading!

As mentioned I've only taken more of an interest recently in finances and personally on current conditions couldn't see me living off interest. I've only just started to invest and to test the waters looking at the Lifestrategy 80 but it's literally a couple thousand that's all. Being in 30s I know I'm too late for it really to be anything to amass too!

Would anyone like to guesstimate what sort of value say in a passive index investment you would be happy to retire on? Or would it really be nearly 900k!
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    prezzacc wrote: »
    Really interesting reading!

As mentioned I've only taken more of an interest recently in finances and personally on current conditions couldn't see me living off interest. I've only just started to invest and to test the waters looking at the Lifestrategy 80 but it's literally a couple thousand that's all. Being in 30s I know I'm too late for it really to be anything to amass too!

Would anyone like to guesstimate what sort of value say in a passive index investment you would be happy to retire on? Or would it really be nearly 900k!

Ideally I would like to retire in about 10 years time with about £1m to £1.2m. My wife a few years later with a small government pension and about £0.8m

We shall see if thats possible closer to the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport