Should I consolidate

Options

Comments

• duran68
    duran68 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DrEskimo wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask for more details on your car payment?

Obviously this will count towards your overall debt, and if you can look at options at reducing this, it would got a long way to helping you with clearing the £11k CC debt.

Hi , its with Barclays ,can't remember the exact figures but circa 11k @3.9% ,owe £6268 on it as of now
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    duran68 wrote: »
    Hi , its with Barclays ,can't remember the exact figures but circa 11k @3.9% ,owe £6268 on it as of now

Is that just a straight loan, or a PCP loan with a balloon payment?

Is it likely you could sell the car for more than the outstanding £6,268 and look to get a much cheaper car with no payments?

If you were to consolidate with the 8% loan over 5-years, and sell the car/cut budget to free up £250 per month to use as over-payments, you could be debt free in just over 2-years.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just been accepted by HSBC 28mnths 0% balance transfer card ,and shifting the Barclays and Tesco interest bearing cards balance onto that .
    Just enough room?...or some left so you can transfer some of the soon to expire 0% card balance(s)? Reason I ask is that sometimes there's a 60/90 day window for 0% BTs so best to get in quick...even if it's the same 0% it'll be 0% for longer.

Two further points:

1. You MUST pay £250 per month towards the cards (you said you could, remember), even though they're 0% interest. You never know what's around the corner! And if you can't/don't, then that's proof that a 5-year consolidation loan wasn't a good option to be considering!

2. HSBC has a 2.5% minimum payment from memory? Your Tesco was 1% plus interest, and Barclaycard may have been 2.25%? So your minimum payments may well rise compared to what you were paying before. You may need to tighten your belt further.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it likely you could sell the car for more than the outstanding £6,268
    If it's on HP, if that's the sum of payments x months remaining, and there's some way to go, then the settlement figure could be a good bit less?
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it's on HP, if that's the sum of payments x months remaining, and there's some way to go, then the settlement figure could be a good bit less?

Indeed, as you would be saving on interest!
  • duran68
    Options
    Is that just a straight loan, or a PCP loan with a balloon payment?

Is it likely you could sell the car for more than the outstanding £6,268 and look to get a much cheaper car with no payments?

If you were to consolidate with the 8% loan over 5-years, and sell the car/cut budget to free up £250 per month to use as over-payments, you could be debt free in just over 2-years.

Straight loan ,would probably be lucky to break even if I sold the car
  • duran68
    edited 17 April 2019 at 11:56PM
    Options
    Just enough room?...or some left so you can transfer some of the soon to expire 0% card balance(s)? Reason I ask is that sometimes there's a 60/90 day window for 0% BTs so best to get in quick...even if it's the same 0% it'll be 0% for longer.

Two further points:

1. You MUST pay £250 per month towards the cards (you said you could, remember), even though they're 0% interest. You never know what's around the corner! And if you can't/don't, then that's proof that a 5-year consolidation loan wasn't a good option to be considering!

2. HSBC has a 2.5% minimum payment from memory? Your Tesco was 1% plus interest, and Barclaycard may have been 2.25%? So your minimum payments may well rise compared to what you were paying before. You may need to tighten your belt further.
    Yes the HSBC card is 2.5% minimum payment so my payment on the 2 cards I transfer would be roughly £6 more than I pay now ,but obviously every penny paid in now pays off the debt ,which puts me in a much better position down the line,EDIT,the Barclaycard minimum payment is 2.5%
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Tbh no I haven't , but realistically with Tesco offering me a loan @8% I doubt I would get a 0% card anywhere now, Actually I,ll take that back ,just been accepted by HSBC 28mnths 0% balance transfer card ,and shifting the Barclays and Tesco interest bearing cards balance onto that .
    Thanks for your help guys ,I really don't know why I didn't think of a balance transfer card !!

Great news!

Shifting between 0% transfer cards is always a better way to get rid of debt than consolidating.
  • shiwen55
    shiwen55 Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone, ok I currently have £11100 of debt spread across 4 credit cards, various rates of APR , the lowest being Barclaycard @15% ,the highest being around 18% , currently paying the minimum amounts ranging from £81.69 for the Barclaycard down to Virgin @£26.07( still on 0% until July,) my Sainsburys card is on 0% until January 2020 and I pay £56.75 per month.

So I think I may be better off getting a loan for £11000 and paying every card off straight away , I can get a loan for £11000 @ 8% APR from Tesco @ £ 221 per month over 5 years , I,m currently paying £240 per month for all cards , do you think I,m doing the correct thing in consolidating? PS , I would be closing the Credit Card accounts down too

See if the loan APR is less than a balance transfer card fee, I'd go for it else balance transfer them
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    but the BT fee is a one off and the loan was 5 years at that APR.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure