IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

DCBL Notice Of Debt Recovery

Hello

Firstly, i have read the Newbies section but couldn't find anything specifically worded or related to the company in the searches so apologies if this has been repeated elsewhere. I received this letter this morning, after previously ignoring PCNs and not making contact to Northern Parking Services (North East)

" Your overdue payment of £100.00 due to Northern Parking Services (NE) Ltd in relation to an unpaid debt has now been passed on to DCBL (Direct Collection Bailiffs limited) to recover the debt on their behalf. A furhter £50.00 + vat admin and recovery fee has now been accrued therefore the total amount due is £160.00

"Failure to address within 14 days of the date of this letter will result in your case being reviewed for legal recovery and such costs being added to the debt of your recovery"

I've had PCNs before and just ignored as they have eventually gone away but this seems a bit more menacing, what is the best course of action to take or not take, any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    There is nothing you can do in relation to this, DCBL send a maximum of two letters. Just ignore
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you've read the Newbies thread you'll know what it says about Debt Collectors. The fact they've got bailiff in their name and there is a TV programme about them doesn't change the advice to IGNORE debt collectors.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Post four of the Newbies Sticky covers this completely - so people don't need to start yet another identical debt collector thread.

Overthinking your situation is a very big mistake.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    they have their debt collectors hat on, so IGNORE like post #4 of that newbies thread tells you

come back if or when you receive an LoC or an MCOL in the post, within 6 years
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The advice to ignore PCNs has not been given since the law changed in 2012. The PPCs have up to six years to start a court claim against you.

The advice to ignore debt collectors is however correct.

All of this is explained in the NEWBIES.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Thank you everyone, it was the "as featured on Channel 5 debt collectors" logo that got me as ive seen the show!

Really appreciate the quick responses
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 24 January 2019 at 5:00PM
    agreed, but if you have ever watched any of those tv programmes you would be aware that every case has been to local county court (or a default CCJ issued) and then been escalated to the high court for a high court writ because each case was over £600 , they always tell the recipient and the police that they have a court order to enforce and are acting as high court bailiffs

yours has none of these elements
  • BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The letter will also say they are not acting as bailiffs in this case
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Daytime TV, the bane of MSE parking forum regulars.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    The whole industry is a scam, relying on threats of court, and the public's ignorance of the Law, A bill is currently before parliament which will regulate the scammers, many of whom are ex-clampers.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of alleged contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors. Is has been suggested by an MP that some of these companies may have connections to organised crime.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, (especially Smart}, and others have already been named and shamed in the House of Commons as have Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each week), hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned. They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

The problem has become so widespread that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers.

Sir Greg Knight's Private Members Bill to curb the excesses, and perhaps close down, some of these companies passed its Second Reading in the Lords this month, and, with a fair wind, will l become Law later this year..

All three readings are available to watch on the internet, (some 6-7 hours), and published in Hansard. MPs have an extremely low opinion of the industry. Many are complaining that they are becoming overwhelmed by complaints from members of the public. Add to their burden, complain in the most robust terms about the scammers.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback