2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Options

Comments

• AW2011S
    Options
    I've contacted the council and need to contact the owner but he's tight fisted and wouldn't pay half to put a tiebreaker in the loft between our houses so I am going to get advice on what my rights are. My insurance won't cover it due to dry rot being treated as a gradual cause like wear and tear.
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Nicky_Sue - So sorry about the bungalow :( it's such a shame LL think like that I'm a great believer in everything happens for a reason and I'm sure there is a perfect property out there waiting for you :)

Ecoelle - Thanks for the link :)

Pay day for me today (woop!) git a bit of shopping but I am going to get some more bits tomorrow :)

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nicky-sue sorry to hear about the bungalow such a shame - hoping something else comes up in the near future.

Not doing so well today - work has gone crazy busy and we are implementing a new system which looks to be a nightmare - its all being completely rushed and it's just so stressful.

Also looking likely that we'll have further belt tightening to do soon - husband is a staff rep and has been called into a big meeting today at work for a "significant announcement" the company was taken over last year so I'm sure this is not going to be anything good :(
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys.

Our electricity figure is for gas as well as electric. I am trying to reduce it. We are being more careful with lights, turning things off at the wall. I have booked in for a smart meter fitting in April. Hoping it will help to track the usage.

The pet figure is high. I am going to try and reduce it. We lost one of our cats recently to cancer so i have been spoiling my furry baby.

The insurance is job cover for my husbands work plus a policy for life and critical illness, i have a syndrome which may lead to me having to stop working before retirement so we took a policy.

The food I'm working on. Stopped buying so many treats...stick to the list!!!

We do get child benefit but i save it for my daughters future so don't count it as income in that sense.

We both have pensions through work so didn't include those figures as it comes out before tax so is not included in take home pay.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I am going to monitor spending closely this month..fingers crossed it's a good one x
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree that gas and elec look high. Ours is £86 a month for a 4 bed house. Have you switched recently? Might be worth a look on the energy club on here. You probably need to do at least annually.

Water also looks high. Ours is £20 a month but only 2 of us on a meter. If you have more bedrooms than people definitely worth doing.
  • Jabeezah
    Options
    Well I finally did it! Make some skincare night facial oil from essential oils and a few carrier oils. Cost me pence to make as opposed a well known Spa brand would be charging 60 quid. (used my birthday Amazon vouchers to purchase ingredients). Been saving loads of empty jam jars and bottles. to refill from what I've already used to be eco friendly Next on my list is moisturiser and hand cream for Hubby . I bought some cheap utensils from Wilkos (metal bowl, whisk etc )and some beeswax and shea butter online and after that I plan to make some bath bombs as I found a website that sells fragrance oils' Snow fairy' and 'Alien' fragrances which my daughter loves. My daughter got a snow fairy body spray from Lush 20 QUID !! I will be making that next (bit of witch hazel ,vodka and mineral water with fragrance) and that will be a fraction of the price. Think once I get a bit bit competent I will make as presents for others throughout the year
    I worked in the beauty industry for many years and it never ceases to amaze me what a rip off it really is ! But to me skincare is as important as healthy eating and exercise being the largest organ of the body etc. I will keep you posted and I may even post a few recipes if anyone is interested ???
  • ecoelle
    ecoelle Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm interested Jabeezah. I currently make my own home fragrances and my own tooth paste but haven't done any skincare yet.
  • Flossygrows
    Options
    Not a bad couple of days. Delivery of 12 eggs from my friend on Friday. Don't pay her for them but often give her a pot of homemade jam or similar. She had some of the cheese my other friend had given me last week. So far have made egg mayo for sandwiches and banana muffins with bananas out of the freezer - I pop them in with their skins on and when I get them out let them defrost a little then just snip the top off and squeeze them out. Great to then mash for muffins!

Big vat of courgette (from the freezer) and potato (last in the garage from the allotment) soup made. I didn't like it but luckily OH did especially when I added some chilli flavoured cheese!

Also found some blackcurrants in the freezer so decided to make some cordial. Haven't made it before so hopefully my DD will like it!

Did have to go and buy DD new school shoes but got these from the local outlet stores so Clarks shoes for £24.99 so a necessary buy at a good price. I have had terrible problems with my feet and joints over the years so insistent she is fitted and has sensible shoes (gosh I sound like my Mum!)

No weekly shop this week as we are going to use from cupboards and freezer until DSS gets back on Friday. Small £8 shop of necessary fruit and veg today and a few bits for DD packed lunch. Going to try and last out now until Friday or even the weekend if we can. Going to OH parents for dinner on Saturday night and a friend for lunch on Sunday (we will take pudding) so if I can even stretch until Monday even better!
    Mortgage free wannabe £28855.13 to go as of 1.1.21
    2021 mortgage payments 0/£6000
    Frugal living challenge live of £500 per month for groceries and other spends
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a curly girl too - your devacut is very reasonable - whereabouts in the country are you if you don't mind me being nosy?

Skint_Chick
    I'm up in North Yorkshire. Usually £37 for a Cut & Rough (wet cut) but £25 for the dry curl cut as less time/product etc. That's a win!
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [QUOTE=spudsmum;75384957]Nicky-sue sorry to hear about the bungalow such a shame - hoping something else comes up in the near future.

Not doing so well today - work has gone crazy busy and we are implementing a new system which looks to be a nightmare - its all being completely rushed and it's just so stressful.

Also looking likely that we'll have further belt tightening to do soon - husband is a staff rep and has been called into a big meeting today at work for a "significant announcement" the company was taken over last year so I'm sure this is not going to be anything good :([/QUOTE]

Thanks lovely. Keeping fingers crossed for your husband's work.
    MSE-ing since 2007
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport