PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade Budget.

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 December 2018 at 2:48PM
    Painted toenails :j Something I only do during the summer, when my toes are on show - it’s about the only makeup I use!

I spent a lot more than normal in December but had to restock my kitchen cupboards - I like to have the cupboards/freezer pretty well stocked over the winter in case of bad weather, but then run them down over spring/summer so it balances out over the year and I had the funds in my grocery ‘pot’ to cover it.
    I also had my daughter and son-in-law and my parents here for Christmas, but I had saved up my tax credits and this paid for the turkey etc. (My mum brought her homemade Christmas Pudding and made me a small Christmas Cake. I made them a Brie and Cranberry puff pastry plait, as they don’t eat meat, and also a cheddar and caremelised red onion puff pastry plait which we had with cold meat and jacket potatoes on Boxing Day :) )
    My water bill also arrives 3rd week of December (what genius thought that was a good arrangement!? :mad: :D :rotfl: ) but, again, have funds in the utilities ‘pot’ to cover it.
    I pay for everything on my credit card to collect the reward points, but always shift the funds spent from whatever spending ‘pot’ the expenditure comes from to a separate ‘pot’ and pay the bill off in full with this every month :)

Today I have taken a piece of rump steak out of the freezer to defrost, so will treat myself to steak and chips for dinner tonight (at a fraction of the cost of eating out ;):) )
    Then it’ll be an early night, with earplugs in as no doubt some inconsiderate so-and-so will be letting off fireworks, waking everyone up and terrifying all the pets and wildlife due to their self-centred sense of entitlement :mad: If people want to celebrate the arrival of the new year, that’s fine, I just don’t understand why they have to inflict their celebrations on everyone else! :mad:

Happy 2019 everyone :beer:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • I am staying in tonight. I'm going to have a few drinks and watch a concert on YouTube.:D My husband decided to go out at the last minute. I'm not really bothered.:rotfl:
    My store cupboard has taken a bit of a hit over the holiday, no frozen bread in the freezer, used lots of tins of tomatoes. I must fill the gaps this week so bread, tins of toms, rice and pasta are already on the list.

I'm the same and about to go through my storecupboard. I need to be more organised next year. I'm going to get rid of anything I don't use like random gadgets that I keep in there too.
    I have just updated my budget for December and the amount I spent on Christmas and groceries is a shocker - my resolution for this year must be to manage my budget daily rather than let life get in the way and do it monthly :o

Yes, since we paid off our mortgage this year I haven't been sticking to a budget at all. I know how much we have in our bank account but I haven't been keeping track of how much we spend at all.

I really need to turn over a new leaf next year.:)
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    We will be having a quiet night in. I really cant be bothered with all the fuss for NYE plus we have cats and so need to make sure that they are OK when all the fireworks kick off.
    So, we will be joined with by our eldest daughter and son in law and I am doing a traditional roast dinner of pork (bought reduced and stuck in freezer) which has been tenderly cooking away in the slow cooked.
    This morning I went and got a load of veg from our local Junkfood project - carrots, parsnips, potatoes, pitta bread, vegan corn snacks etc etc and so the veg will be accompanying the meal this evening. Home made trifle and a roulade that has been in the freezer left over from Christmas. Table set nicely and it beats going out and paying £30 per head. Daughter will have a nut roast that I've found in the freezer :)
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I use YNAB for budgeting and budget for the month after I receive it, ie all the money coming in during December has funded January. I'm really pleased that we managed to stick to our budget during December and even had money left in some categories to fund part of January spending.

I'm hoping that there will be even more leftover in our accounts at the end of January as we won't be at home for 3 weeks of it (going on holiday) so February should be funded easily with January incomings.
  • Hi all - This is a great thread - thanks LL.

I have been retired just over a year now and, whilst OH and I are OK financially, there is certainly room for improvement! We are certainly not well off but I do tend to spend on unnecessary things that don’t necessarily make me happy or give me joy. My aim for 2019 is to live the fullest life I am able to, within my budget. I have already stated on previous threads that my aim is not to buy any clothes this year. I shall start to enjoy what I already have and to have fun trying out different ways to style them. I have just turned 63 and by now, I should know what suits me, and what doesn’t! I shall certainly join you LL in not buying new clothes for 6 months, hopefully I will last the whole year!!

I think living the champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget is a wonderful concept, and as I write this on New Year’s Eve, I am sipping a glass of Aldi sparking wine (special offer). I will have the rest with the lovely meal that OH are going to share. (OH is TT!!!).

My champagne moment today was to dig out the lovely champagne flutes my ex boss gave to me when he took early retirement. They were a beautiful, limited edition, crystal set of two, in a lovely wooden presentation box. Because they were so expensive, I kept them in the box and put them safely away. It’s now 9 years, and I got them out today for the first time and now I am drinking my very nice “budget” fizz from them. I feel like I’m sipping the most expensive champagne! I will still store them in the box, but will certainly use them regularly and not save them for a “special” occasion. Every day is going to be special in 2019! Happy New Year to everyone. ::beer:
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,249 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I think we all put things away for a special occasion when really every day should be special as you say Retired lady. I will whisper this but I actually prefer cava and Prosecco to champagne. Ssh who said that :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    DH & I aren't keen on champagne either! I have to add cassis to it if I ever have it and DH likes lime cordial, LOL!

We've bought some sparkling wine from Sainsbobs today which we saw on James Martin's show at the weekend @ £11 a bottle but when we went to buy some this morning it had been reduced to £9! Have to say it's the best sparkling wine I've ever had, not too dry for me - I find most sparkling wines too dry. It's a sparkling from the Loire region of France.

Denise
  • Hi SA and Joe - I prefer cava and Prosecco as well!!! As a matter of interest, I googled the glasses tonight and on eBay they are selling for £69.95!!!! £35 a glass!! He must have liked me! I will not be selling them - but now appreciate the thought that went into the present. They are very beautiful and I will now get lots of pleasure in drinking my Supermarket bargains from it. Must remember to put the glass back in the box after use though.:rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,
    Just popping in to wish everyone a "Happy Hogmanay":beer: - no parties here but my kids are cooking a lovely Chinese meal and I've been banished from the kitchen with a glass of wine:D.
    Christmas budget has more or less held - a few ££s over because we decided to have folk round at the weekend but all covered from using some of my "entertainment pot".
    The kids are off to their Dad's tomorrow and I'm hosting for 6 here, salmon and lamb are being roasted both bought on SO in the run up to Christmas. A few Negronis will probably be consumed:)
  • Happy New Year Caronc inspired by you I will be living on £1,000 a month from now until I go back to work in April. I should be apprehensive but actually looking forward to it. :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family