We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Dead Apple Tree ?

Options
I've got a very very old apple tree Lord Lambourne I think. In the six years I've known it, it's cropped reasonably well only a couple of times, but always blossoms and comes into full leaf.

This year it blossomed, but what few leaves did appear eventually dropped off

Some of the branch twigs are brittle (apple is like that anyway ?) but some are still very supple. The question is: Is it dead, or just resting ?

It needed a good pruning anyway, and I'm wondering whether to do it now or leave until the winter to conserve what energy is still in it

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?

Comments

• pinklady21
    Options
    [QUOTE=unrecordings;74743827 The question is: Is it dead, or just resting ?

Has it drawn up the curtain and joined the Choir Invisible?
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Really needs to be pruned every year to crop, I do mine in late Autumn/early winter.

Can you take a photo of a leaf, front and back? and one of the whole tree ideally.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2018 at 7:35PM
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    Really needs to be pruned every year to crop, I do mine in late Autumn/early winter.

Can you take a photo of a leaf, front and back? and one of the whole tree ideally.

No leaves I'm afraid - I identified it a few years ago as Lord Lambourne via FruitID. Let's see if I can rustle up an old photo

In the meantime, thanks, yes, waiting till a lot later in the year would be better

Edited to add: I've not really pruned it that much through one thing and another, last good prune was probably autumn 2016 (I was on steroids then :beer:)

• Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    The easiest way to tell if any shrub or tree is still alive is to find a small stem, and scrap the bark off with your finger nail. If you see any green it's alive, if not try another stem, and if it is also brown looking then it cut through a slightly larger piece, and look for any green. No Green - DEAD!

If you tree has no leaves at this time of year it sounds very much like it's dead, did you have any small brown mushrooms growing near to it this year? Honey Fungus is a big killer of trees and shrubs.
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    My apple trees haven't been pruned since 2014. I've never seen most of them crop so well as they've done this year.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    I checked a few weeks ago and most of the tips I tried were still supple rather than brittle - bit I'll find a supple one and check for green too. Yes honey fungus is creeping up that side of the garden in the privet. Although it's done nothing to stunt the growth of young blackthorn & jostaberry which sit between the privet & apple tree

I'm just going to give it a prune anyway in the winter and see what happens in spring

• unrecordings
    Options
    Since I couldn't do a great deal about it, I thought I'd leave it till this spring. It's definitely dead, some branches drooping even (which I assume is a complete absence of moisture in the wood). So I'm going to start taking it down - it's just a stepladder job...

But, leave it partly standing - Bladerunner 2049 style - if nothing else the local woodpeckers will love it apparently...

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    When we moved into our house we were told by the previous owner that the apple trees were rubbish croppers. They did not look well and we thought we might lose them as they had not been pruned for decades. My husband took it upon himself to look after them and they are really healthy now. Don't give up on them without a bit of TLC
  • unrecordings
    Options
    It has been declining for a few years - honey fungus, the beast from the east and last year's heatwave all took their toll - and there's a lot of bark coming off. I'll be lopping down to about 12-18' and see how it goes from there (well someone else might be doing the lopping & ladders, since I can barely do either)

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It has been declining for a few years - honey fungus, the beast from the east and last year's heatwave all took their toll - and there's a lot of bark coming off. I'll be lopping down to about 12-18' and see how it goes from there (well someone else might be doing the lopping & ladders, since I can barely do either)

Of course, if you are made of money you could get a chainsaw sculptor in to make it an artwork, or at least a talking point

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/17572588.royal-victoria-country-park-unveils-new-fairy-garden-this-easter-weekend/
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure