Credit Ladder

Hi just wandering if anyone has used credit ladder to help build their credit rating by paying rent? They are wanting my bank login details to access bank statements, just want to make sure it’s safe before giving any details out.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Megzzie wrote: »
    Hi just wandering if anyone has used credit ladder to help build their credit rating by paying rent? They are wanting my bank login details to access bank statements, just want to make sure it!!!8217;s safe before giving any details out.

run away!! You should not give bank login details to anyone!!
  • That’s what I was thinking! But as it was off this site I thought it was legit until it asked for all that info
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Megzzie wrote: »
    That’s what I was thinking! But as it was off this site I thought it was legit until it asked for all that info

Where was it mentioned on MSE ?

I personnally wouldn't trust anyone else with my bank login details.
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I use Credit Ladder, though still not showing on my credit file. They never asked for those details from me, just a direct debit.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    It's mentioned on the MSE site here
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/rental-exchange-scheme

From what I can see there are more options to pay via SO.
    It's only asking for your bank login details as part of 'open banking' to read your statement.

Opt for the SO payment if you are going to use them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    I really can't see this having much of an effect on any lenders decision. It's just more of your personal information 'out there'.
    Personally, if I rented, I would like to be 100% sure that my landlord received my rent on time, every time. I don't want to hear about this months rent being a bit late due to admin errors or system glitches. How do these people make their money? Is there a fee? Why would any landlord/ agent sign up to it?
    Yes....I'm a cynic....but, IMO, you've got to be.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They say no fee and Experian do not pay them, so how do they survive?

"propped up by private cash" How long will that last before charges come in. But as they are part of Make Ur Move, maybe your going to be added to some advertising list?

You never give anyone your bank login details.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If they are asking for login details, I assume they are not yet Open Banking compliant. The reason that they just want your statements sounds fishy too. If you are paying rent via them, why do they need to have access to bank statements? You could provide them if needs be. Sounds like they are data scraping, finding your spending habits etc to target adverts etc.

Maybe that is their funding model, to be able to sell intimate knowledge of your financial history.
    - they make monetary gains and build up an increasing asset
    - you get a tenuous promise of some increase in a fictitious score, possible tension, stress and reduced security of accomodation (how quick do they pay the landlord, what guarantees, etc will your landlord look less favourably on you and less willing to renew a tenancy), possible increase in the amount of spam and targeted adverts, less financial security (if your login details get leaked if their systems get hacked, will your bank refund you?), etc ...

Personally I would run away. Even if you look at the core goal, improving credit file, you get the same effect of opening a subprime credit card, using it to buy something once a month and paying it off. You could argue its even less effective than a subprime card, since with the latter you may have your limit increase over time and show responsibility to use available credit.
  • Sometimes landlords don't keep to their obligations. There are all sorts of horror stories about dangereous substandard and neglected housing as well as unfair rent hikes. For example, you can refuse to pay a rent increase if it is unreasonable and you can appeal it. But, if you pay just once, you lose your right of appeal. You can also withhold rent if your landlord fails to carry out certain repairs.

If you sign up to 'credit ladder' and ever get into a dispute, you will not be able to withhold your rent because your landlord will punish your credit score.

In any case, rent paid in advance is not 'credit' so it is wrong to go on your credit file.

There is an obvious solutiuon which makes 'credit ladder' totally pointless:

Take out a loan from your bank for your year's rent, then pay the rent with the loan money and repay they loan in the agreed installments. This is real 'credit' and will boost your credit score but, you can still hold back on rent and keep all your rights if there is a dispute. Just make sure you pay the loan on time.
  • I have been with Credit ladder for over 18 months after reading about it on here, It seemed like a great idea and i was hoping within 12 months it would show up and might effect my score or at least show up .

Well after 12 months every month i was told by credit ladder it would go live soon on experian and also when it did all back payment s would show up .
    Well 6 months later i now get told it is live only when i joined experian for £14.99 for my report nothing is there.
    After contacting Credit ladder i am told on sorry it is only on a statutory report available for £2 and not on the main report.
    I spoke at length to experian who explained it was only on that report and also it would only show 12 months of reporting not my file of payments made to credit ladder and this was a trial and will go live later in the year maybe half way though it also had made no difference to my report at all.

I pointed out to experian that their website quite clearly shows on the main site that . " THE INFORMATION IN YOUR £2 STATUTORY CREDIT REPORT IS THE SAME INFORMATION THAT IS SHOWN IN YOUR EXPERIAN CREDIT REPORT AVAILABLE AS PART OF EXPERIAN CREDIT REPORT"
    It has been raised by experian that this is misleading and wrong on their part and was given a full refund of my joining fee to cover my complaint and they will be looking into this right away.

I am hoping i can past this information on to MSE so they can look into this but i can say at this time Credit ladder has not helped at this present time and seems like they are more interested in selling you a add on service for free tickets and a coffee.

D Mcchesney
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport