Orbis £100 match offer - Now Ended

Comments

• BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 7:16AM
    I'm not really sure why you are pushing this fund so hard, given that there are loads of funds, many with excellent historical performance. I noticed that it is ~50% US, which people need to consider before they invest, given the high P/E levels for the US.

My own belief is that the current bull market has a year or two to run before something comes along to pop it, such as a nuclear war with North Korea, a huge financial scandal etc. However, my view is in reality worth diddly squat.
  • jamei305
    jamei305 Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm not really sure why you are pushing this fund so hard, given that there are loads of funds, many with excellent historical performance. I noticed that it is ~50% US, which people need to consider before they invest, given the high P/E levels for the US.

I have a world index tracker as part of my portfolio, and that has a similar US allocation. It's what I'd expect from a global equity fund. I am actually considering swapping it for this.

I am sure there are some funds that might try to avoid markets with high P/E ratios, or some other random statistics, but if high P/E levels were proven to actually mean anything at all, then money would have already flown out of the US and P/E levels would have dropped.

If I was certain of an imminent market crash and wasn't investing for the long-term then sure, I wouldn't be interested in this fund.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The point of the thread, correct me if I'm wrong, is not to extol the virtues of their fund(s) but to capitalise on their up to £100 bonus offer.

I've taken a £100 punt in their GIA, the funds offered are reasonable and the top up is a huge bonus in percentage terms.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 January 2018 at 5:12PM
    I'm not really sure why you are pushing this fund so hard, given that there are loads of funds, many with excellent historical performance.

Yes but with the £100 matched offer and being available as a GIA (not just an ISA for those of us with ISAs elsewhere) then I thought it was a good deal, especially if you only invest £100 for now, worth bringing to the attention of the group.

Still as I said at the start contrarian investing won't be for everyone, your money is at risk, and you might even end up with nothing so I wouldn't suggest anyone puts a significant proportion of their wealth in these funds as a result of this thread when more mainstream and traditional options are available. Still if you can afford to take the risk for the possibility of long term upside then it is worthy of consideration.

Alex.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    To me it is worth a small punt for the top up from them - that is is the faster payment ever makes it into my account (it is taking a long time to show). I will use it something to play with.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Alexland
    edited 16 January 2018 at 8:46AM
    Viking_mfw wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Alexland - opened a GIA for me and a JISA for my little one - we weren't investing in one for him because we both want to retain control just in case but I'll take a punt on his behalf for £100 plus the same in free money!

Yes with Junior ISAs lack of control is a concern. We are only planning to contribute 2 years of annual allowance (both in the first 12 months to get the fee-free units) plus dividends and the £400 in the year after when we close our GIAs after a year which will go into normal units. Should be about £10k at age 3. We need to make a decision before the 12 months is up on how to leave the allocation of fee-free units between the 2 funds.

As we get nearer the withdrawal date (if it looks likely our son will go to university) we might transfer to to a Vanguard Junior ISA and use a target date fund to reduce volatility and increase certainty of outcome.

Alex.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    any child account becomes theirs at 18. You'd have to be messing with trusts and such to avoid that - or hold in your own name with reduced interest rates and tax to pay. If they are still a 'little one' then there is plenty of time to educate them so that they make good choices when they hit that mark. With 2 years to go to that milestone my DD's ISA funds are now all in cash.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,611 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My own belief is that the current bear market has a year or two to run before something comes along to pop it, such as a nuclear war with North Korea, a huge financial scandal etc. However, my view is in reality worth diddly squat.

I assume that's a typo and you mean bull market. If this is a bear market then I'd hate to think what a bull would be!
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Alexland
    jimjames wrote: »
    I assume that's a typo and you mean bull market. If this is a bear market then I'd hate to think what a bull would be!

We could be in a bond bear market?
  • Thanks for the heads up. Have just put £100 in a GIA in the Global Equities. I didn't want to open an ISA as I'm just waiting for some money to come through and I will then use this year's allowance on Vanguard. I will probably top the £100 up to £1,000 and then leave it to do it's thing and see what happens :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback