A whole new world, for now

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,065 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hope the meeting goes well. Sounds like a good decision to leave.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Glad you kicked the nightmare job to the kerb. It takes guts to do that when you are self employed but you have to draw the line somewhere.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Meeting went well but was dreadful. I've basically been asked what it would take to keep me on board. I then got a truly nice email from the chairman. I'm not sure what to do.
    However, this weekend I need to get on top of jobs for three other clients. I need to pay myself expenses and also pay my £500 salary for June. This gives us what we need to live on so I'm trying to stick to that amount.
    I am just about to make a list of what's needed before spending £25 to use my £5 off voucher. This expires tomorrow but I think the goods are in better shape on a Saturday. I also need to put supplies in place for DH's lunches. We need those £5 notes! Also, as the voucher offer still runs, I will get another £5 off to make use of in the next 10 days.

There will also be a trip to the charity shop to get rid of stuff before dd's return in just over a week. I wish this heat would ease off. I'm just not suited to it. When at home I'm living in vest tops and pj bottoms. Not a pleasant sight! Today I am grateful for
    Ready access to cool clean water
    DH and dog whose combined presence keep me sane
    Small inroads
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Meeting went well but was dreadful. I've basically been asked what it would take to keep me on board. I then got a truly nice email from the chairman. I'm not sure what to do.

:eek: I can't advise you what to do, but there are a few things to consider: what would make them less of a nightmare? Can that be altered, and if not, what price the sense of relief you had from leaving them?

If you did reconsider your position, could they pay more and maybe have a limitation on the hours? Could you stipulate better working conditions or an absolute say in critical areas?

Lovely that they value you, though.

And you are doing very well with those vouchers. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • The issue is neither the money nor the hours. It is a toxic staff member who appears to be untouchable. I've been asked if I would stay if the board apologise on his behalf! They'd sooner do that than tell him he needs to apologise.
    Yesterday I grocery shopped and did little else. I did however pay myself apr and may's expenses and my end of June salary. With careful management, hard given both offspring have July birthdays, and a hopefully tiny gas bill, I should finish July with the current account 1k buffer back in place. Plus I cashed out prolific. I am 75% of the way towards my next sb which will be for m&s. I had started to go for amazon to get my moisturiser but dh scored an additional £10 cash back offer from one of the cash back website and found somewhere that then offered a further 15% cash back plus was £8 cheaper so he treated me.
    I also had been keeping an eye on offers near where overseas sister lives as I had previously seen an item on sale but didn't access it on time. Yesterday, this came up again so she went and got it for me. It cost just under £30 as opposed to the over £70 in the shops here and I will get it when I go for the September wedding. It will be primarily used in winter so the timing works.
    Today I am going to get all the ironing cleared up soon before it gets even hotter. Then I need to get some client work done. I also need to drop some stuff down to mothers as I managed to get a mixed bag of left over bread yesterday that features some items she likes e.g. Wheaten farls.

Today I am grateful for
    The tiniest of breezes
    Access to music while I press
    A more than 25 year old press that will speed up time to be spent in the heat
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well done on the various offers!:j

Re the toxic person - we have some "protected species" at my firm as well. It's so annoying. Your point that the board is prepared to apologise but not make him toe the line says it all. Unfortunately he will probably carry on being a pain in the butt.

Your heat outfit of vest tops and pj trousers sounds very like my own. Can't wait until this really boiling weather cools down! Unless youre actually on a beach holiday I can't see the point of it!:D

Have a good day inod.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    An alternative suggestion from me. You know they are toxic, and that behaviour is unlikely to change significantly even if they are told. At what price point would the value of the work outweigh the behaviour? Price the job including the irritation factor and for a set period. If they say no then you are no worse off. If they say yes then bank the money and pin a smile on your face. One of the things I like about self employed/consultant is that I am there for a fixed period and the real annoyances don't get under your skin as much when you can grit your teeth and think of your hourly rate.

I have one client that I double my rates for - I'm still waiting for them to make a booking as a result but its less harmful to the professional relationship than me saying actually no you are a nightmare to work for and I'd rather live on paupers rations.

Don't apologise, just say this is the day rate for me to carry on on the basis of the climate and unanticipated challenges the project brings. Take it or leave it. Don't detail the person or their behaviours, just that this is you revised rate to continue.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Hope you reach a resolution that works for you.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Thanks for the advice. I can't up my price though. I'd feel bad as it's a charity. I also don't want to them thinking it's about money. I've lots to get thru work wise today. I emailed the manager to see when he wants to do the post holiday handover. He hasn't replied. He's probably too busy having canaries about the changes I introduced in his absence. Things like printing out colour coded charts in colour!
    Today I am grateful for
    Escaping unscathed from a visit to mother
    A slightly cooler night
    DH pitching in on some client work.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I emailed the manager to see when he wants to do the post holiday handover. He hasn't replied. He's probably too busy having canaries about the changes I introduced in his absence. Things like printing out colour coded charts in colour!

You extremist! :rotfl:

Glad you got through the visit to your Mum's okay. :)

I do see what you mean about not wanting to charge a charity more... tricky situation. If you leave, would your replacement charge the same as you? Or was the feeling of relief when you made the decision sufficient to tell you what to do?At the end of the day you are an important part of this equation so maybe you should ask yourself what would you advise a friend to do in the same position.

Hope you can work something out.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport