PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do Estate Agents make money?

ddavemac1981
ddavemac1981 Posts: 28
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
edited 24 April 2019 at 10:39AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi All,

First time post here. My wife and bought our first flat in 2016 - we exchanged the day of
Brexit! Last year, we thought we may well move to South London, so put our flat on the market. EA's were tripping over themselves to get our flat (North London, Zone 3). We were on for about a year, used 3 different agents, and dropped the price from 450k (ludicrous to think now) in stages down to 400k, but did not get one offer!

This led me to genuinely wonder how EA's make money. While our property was new, there were plenty of viewings, but as it stayed on for a while they seemed to lose interest in it. Also, it was wildly over priced to begin. How do EA's sustain this model? My understanding is that EA's fail to sell as many as the succeed at, and surely by over-pricing properties they are shooting themselves in the foot? How do they pay for photos, online listings, paying their staff for viewings etc, when there is no guarantee of a sale?

Any thoughts or answers?

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Once they have clients on their books then they wil be getting a constant-ish stream of income from them as a whole even if some take some time to sell.
    Looking at a different field, advertising, lets say Alpha Corp spends a million on advertising a year. They need enough income from that to make the overall spend worthwhile. The fact they are paying for adverts i will see and have no interest in, or i may have an interest but buy from Beta Company instead, doesn't matter.
    So, regard the extra properties on the EAs books as similar to marketing/advertising spend.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How do they pay for photos, online listings, paying their staff for viewings etc, when there is no guarantee of a sale?
    In much the same way as any other business which doesn't get cash upfront from its clients i.e. initially by a load of borrowing (and/or the owners putting up their own cash) until the income starts coming in. Of course many of those overheads themselves don't need to be paid immediately anyway.

Their pricing obviously takes into account the amount of time they spend on fruitless sales pitches to potential vendors and trying to sell properties which don't shift.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,292
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    How do they pay for photos, online listings, paying their staff for viewings etc, when there is no guarantee of a sale?

Like a lot of businesses - it's a speculative business model.

For example, they might spend money on marketing 30 properties, but only actually sell 10 of them.

As long at the fees from the 10 properties cover the marketing costs of the 30 properties - plus make some profit - everything's fine.

But, if they don't sell enough properties to cover all their costs, the EA will go bust.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,835
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Most estate agents now have a rentals division. Charging management fees is a constant market that can be relied on when sales are low.
  • How do EA's sustain this model? My understanding is that EA's fail to sell as many as the succeed at, and surely by over-pricing properties they are shooting themselves in the foot? How do they pay for photos, online listings, paying their staff for viewings etc, when there is no guarantee of a sale?

Is this really the case though or is it an urban myth?

When we were house hunting in 2017, we kept a close watch of Rightmove for a good 6-9 months before we were in a position to make an offer (long story - the short version is we hoped to start the process in June but actually had to wait until November). In that time we must have looked at literally thousands of listings and bookmarked a few hundred (to get a good idea of realistic selling prices for the type of property we were interested in), a lot of them went to SSTC within a month of listing. In addition we accepted an offer on our old house less than a week after listing.

There were of course some houses which had been on for a year or more and others where the listings were removed entirely (presumably meaning no sale with that EA) but it seemed to me they were outnumbered by the quick sellers.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    On my recent sale the solicitors bill was £825 and the estate agent £8,250.
    I don't think the estate agent did 10x the work so my fee helped paid for those sales where they were not successful.
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Most are duel agents and the bulk of their regular income in recent years will have been from the lettings fees money for nothing gravy train, with commission from ever dwindling sales just a nice little bonus.

Once the lettings fees ban comes in (in June) the agents might find they have to get back to the business of actually selling houses, rather than just generally indulging deluded vendors with fantasy figure, pie in the sky valuations and asking prices (which currently results in over half the houses brought to market subsequently being withdrawn after failing to achieve a sale)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    surely by over-pricing properties they are shooting themselves in the foot?
    Gwendo40 wrote: »
    Most are duel agents

The risk of self-harm is always there, but when people buy property, there's generally a killing to be made by the facilitators....
  • Gwendo40
    Gwendo40 Posts: 349 Forumite
    Doh! Well spotted.

Very good!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Gwendo40 wrote: »
    Most are duel agents and the bulk of their regular income in recent years will have been from the lettings fees money for nothing gravy train, with commission from ever dwindling sales just a nice little bonus.
    Until June 1st.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport