Gardening leave!

hey everyone

so I am new to the forum and I therefore hope I have put all of this in the right place!!

I was fortunate enough to be offered a new job so duly handed in my notice with my current employer. They put me on gardening leave 7 days after handing in my notice and I have approx 3 weeks left to go until I am 'free' so to speak!

Some of the reasons for my leaving was due to bullying I was experiencing at the hands of a fellow manager. I was then asked to hand everything over to this person on the day they put me on gardening leave. Since leaving I know that there are things I did not hand over - everything was so fast and I was expected to get out so quickly I didn't have a chance to think about the smaller things. None of this is anything major and things which are easily solved.

Being put on gardening leave has exacerbated my stress levels as I am not there and I am not in a position where I can protect my reputation or how people perceive me or what I have done. I do not in the slightest trust the person I handed things over to and have been worrying about how she might be portraying me since I left or miss out information I gave her to make me look bad. I really feel I did my best to hand over what I could within the time constraints I had. I warned my director that things were not in the place they could or should be, and by no means was this how I wanted to hand things over - lots of things unfinished and not concluded.

My question is what can they do whilst I am on gardening leave? Whilst I don't see that they have any reason to take action against me, could they for something which was unresolved even though I had every intention of resolving it before i left but they wanted me to go? I want to spend the next 3 weeks relaxing but finding that very difficult when I am still technically employed but have no access at all to the system my emails or anything. I told them to call me if something came up and I would try to help, they said they would do that but I have not heard from them.

To make things worse on social media yesterday my boss posted a picture of a snake tagging in the person who I handed over to. I could not see the comments on the post and rather conveniently it had been taken down and altogether removed when I went looking for it again! I am sure I am just being paranoid but it felt like it might be aimed at me!

Any advice someone can give me is very much appreciated on how I can reduce my stress levels and stop worrying. or if there is any action I should be taking while I am off to aid in anything which I may have missed on my handover - on the one hand I dont know if they dont ask but I also dont want to get in any trouble or have them perceive me as a bad person when I am not :(

thank you in advance for your help and advice!!

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This doesn;t seem helpful but just forget about them, youve left the job, forget it. You're being paranoid and its not going to help.

It doesnt matter if they think you are bad. You admit your handover was rushed and not very good, but seriously just forget about it. They didnt give you enough time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Just focus on your garden, or whatever else you wish to do with your gardening leaves.

Such opportunities don't come round very often.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,804 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you really think the omissions are going to cause a problem, I'd start building up an draft e-mail/list of bullet points mentioning them, which you can review and send just before your official leaving date - keep it brief, just something like, 'here are a few more things that have come to mind since our handover that you may wish to be aware of ....'

If you think of something, just quickly add it to the draft and then forget about it - as Katrina says, you're moving on and you;ve done what you were asked so it's not really your prblem anymore, just enjoy your time off.
  • Mrs_CP
    Mrs_CP Posts: 50 Forumite
    It's a little thing but it is often the little things that drive us most mad.

It's 'Garden Leave'.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    You have been put on Garden Leave because your existing company doesn't want you involved with their operation. It was their decision to do that, so any problems they have with lack of handover is entirely of their own making. Don't worry about it, just view it as an extra 3 weeks holiday.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Mrs_CP wrote: »

It's 'Garden Leave'.

Gov.uk calls it Gardening Leave:

https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice/gardening-leave
    Know what you don't
  • Oh and have a digital clear out of your social media accounts ......does your stress levels wonders
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    They put you on garden leave, their problem.

One of the reasons for garden leave is so you can call back employees if something crops up.

Your manager(s) should know what you were working on and the status their responsibility to sort it out.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament

It's 'Garden Leave'.

Origin
    "Gardening leave" as used in the civil service pre 80's

1986 a classic yes PM episode .

6:40 into the show(start at 6:00 for a bit of context)
    12:50 second reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLD0YK6CdjE
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

It's 'Garden Leave'.
    Not necessarily. eg. https://www.gov.uk/handing-in-your-notice/gardening-leave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure