A word to the wise about Tesco and Highview Parking

daddynocred
daddynocred Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 18 June 2019 at 11:44PM in Praise, vent & warnings
A word to the wise ... On the 4th July I received a parking fine from Highview Parking for an alleged 7 hour stay at Chichester Tesco car park on Thursday 16th May. What I did in reality was visit the store twice that day. The letter was automatically generated and sent out without a human checking that the car did park for the alleged time. Being nice, Highview will charge you £22.50 (first offence) for the offence ... The letter I received, talked of 14 day to respond but had a cut off day of 11/06/2019 (so 7 days in reality), and if you don't pay up the fine goes up to a £72.50. I called Tesco complaints. They were not interested and told me to talk to Highview Parking. Highview Parking were disinterested and told me to appeal. To avoid getting hit my the higher amount, I decided to appeal online (which automatically defaults to a £72.50, if you lose). My appeal was successful, but it took me 3-4 hours of my time to gathering evidence and justify my actions. I called Highview to complain, and the woman I spoke to said Highview are doing the same for other supermarkets.

I wrote to Dave Lewis, CEO Tesco, pointing out that Highview Parking put no effort in to checking if a customer's stay really breaches Tesco parking policy and I was told by a Customer service person:

"The store has introduced a time limit due to the number of vehicles being parked by non-customers. Our customers were complaining they could not get parked.There is number recognition cameras on the entrance and exit to the car park. They will photograph your car coming in and again when you leave. If you are over the time limit allowed the system will generate a parking charge notice. We have found, on occasion, that there have been issues with the camera. If you leave and then come back the same day the camera does not always pick this up."

So, rather than invest in making sure the right vehicles are ticketed, they are sucking the innocent and vulnerable into what is essentially their problem. I pointed out that I was not prepared to risk getting fined. I do not keep receipts and would struggle to provide evidence, so would no longer be shopping at their stores. The response I got was:

"I am sorry you are going to shop elsewhere rather than retain receipts from your shopping. If you use your Clubcard we can see the dates and time you have been in, and this would be evidence to prove your visits rather than keeping paper receipts."

What arrogance !

So, bottom-line: 1) Don't go back to the same Tesco store twice in a day unless you want to catch a fine 2) keep all your receipts to provide evidence. Be warned !

I'm off to find a more friendlier shopping experience.

Richard Moore

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    OP, a parking company cannot issue a fine, they have given you notice of a parking charge. If you post your problem over on the Parking section of the Motoring Forum then there are some very knowledgeable and helpful people over there who will be able to offer you help to get this charge cancelled.

Please don't pay it until you have posted there.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,794
    Forumite
    If you do post over on the Parking Board, here, then take out any personally identifying info.

"Double Dipping" as it is known, is a common scam with these companies but as LadyDee says the Parking Board can help.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    A word to the wise ... On the 4th July I received a parking fine from Highview Parking for an alleged 7 hour stay at Chichester Tesco car park on Thursday 16th May. What I did in reality was visit the store twice that day. The letter was automatically generated and sent out without a human checking that the car did park for the alleged time. Being nice, Highview will charge you £22.50 (first offence) for the offence ... The letter I received, talked of 14 day to respond but had a cut off day of 11/06/2019 (so 7 days in reality), and if you don't pay up the fine goes up to a £72.50. I called Tesco complaints. They were not interested and told me to talk to Highview Parking. Highview Parking were disinterested and told me to appeal. To avoid getting hit my the higher amount, I decided to appeal online (which automatically defaults to a £72.50, if you lose). My appeal was successful, but it took me 3-4 hours of my time to gathering evidence and justify my actions. I called Highview to complain, and the woman I spoke to said Highview are doing the same for other supermarkets.

I wrote to Dave Lewis, CEO Tesco, pointing out that Highview Parking put no effort in to checking if a customer's stay really breaches Tesco parking policy and I was told by a Customer service person:

"The store has introduced a time limit due to the number of vehicles being parked by non-customers. Our customers were complaining they could not get parked.There is number recognition cameras on the entrance and exit to the car park. They will photograph your car coming in and again when you leave. If you are over the time limit allowed the system will generate a parking charge notice. We have found, on occasion, that there have been issues with the camera. If you leave and then come back the same day the camera does not always pick this up."

So, rather than invest in making sure the right vehicles are ticketed, they are sucking the innocent and vulnerable into what is essentially their problem. I pointed out that I was not prepared to risk getting fined. I do not keep receipts and would struggle to provide evidence, so would no longer be shopping at their stores. The response I got was:

"I am sorry you are going to shop elsewhere rather than retain receipts from your shopping. If you use your Clubcard we can see the dates and time you have been in, and this would be evidence to prove your visits rather than keeping paper receipts."

What arrogance !

So, bottom-line: 1) Don't go back to the same Tesco store twice in a day unless you want to catch a fine 2) keep all your receipts to provide evidence. Be warned !

I'm off to find a more friendlier shopping experience.

Richard Moore

On the 4th of July, now I dont know about you OP but do you have a time machine or are you refering to July 2018 ?

Nothing wrong imo with double dipping. Surely its the way the cameras are setup.

Whats wrong with the suggestion for keeping receipts?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong imo with double dipping. Surely its the way the cameras are setup.

Are you saying the PPC is within their rights to setup their equipment to scam motorists, by pretending that 2 separate visits are 1 long stay? :eek:

I hope it's just the way your post was worded, and that you're not seriously saying that this is acceptable.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 June 2019 at 8:43PM
    DoaM wrote: »
    Are you saying the PPC is within their rights to setup their equipment to scam motorists, by pretending that 2 separate visits are 1 long stay? :eek:

I hope it's just the way your post was worded, and that you're not seriously saying that this is acceptable.

I think maybe you have misunderstood or Ive writren the reply in a way that you have misunderstopd.

I don't agree that its acceptable whats happened.

Drivers shouldn't be penalised for making 1 visit to a retail park and leaving it but then returning to the same place later on in the day.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I must admit. I don't like to pay for parking.
    I had a similar experience locally with a vehicle, it was challenged and they dropped it
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    On the 4th of July, now I dont know about you OP but do you have a time machine or are you refering to July 2018 ?

Whats wrong with the suggestion for keeping receipts?

The area I had a problem with didn't require a receipt
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492
    Forumite
    Thread summary:
    - Is told to keep receipts as proof of visit
    - Doesn't want to keep receipts, so is given another (useful) option
    - Doesn't like this either

Fantastic, 5 stars!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors