Tesco - is this a scam?

Options
I've has a text on my phone telling me that I have a package waiting, following my 3rd place in a Tesco draw. A website link follows. It surely must be a scam? Anyone had the same sort of approach?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thousands will have had the same sort of approach.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did u enter a competition with Tesco?.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    I've has a text on my phone telling me that I have a package waiting, following my 3rd place in a Tesco draw. A website link follows. It surely must be a scam? Anyone had the same sort of approach?

Where is it waiting ?

Whats the number that sent the text ?
    Have you googled it ?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also have a package for you, just phone this 090 £25 call charge number and get your prize. (prize is a 99p pen)

Family have received a load of HMRC emails lately. American terms and phrases and the lack of a name. Lazy scammers.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Where is it waiting ?

Whats the number that sent the text ?
    Have you googled it ?

It came from 52267, addressed me by my shortened Christian name and provided a website name starting
    http://o0g.us/3nZ and then three more lower case letters. Which I haven't used as I was unsure where it would take me. I haven't entered any competition and haven't had anything to do with Tesco for a while. I'm not sure what I could google?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It came from 52267, addressed me by my shortened Christian name and provided a website name starting
    http://o0g.us/3nZ and then three more lower case letters. Which I haven't used as I was unsure where it would take me. I haven't entered any competition and haven't had anything to do with Tesco for a while. I'm not sure what I could google?

As it was provided I didn't know if the number was 11 numbers long, sounds like a scam.

If it was legit I would expect to be contacted via email or post.
    Surely if it was legit the link wouldn't be like what you posted.
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Greta_Sharbo Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Get them regularly purporting to be from both Tesco and Argos - same format all the time. Just ignore them.
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

About a couple of months ago I received a genuine text from Tesco, stating that I had won a coffee machine.

I had entered several competitions listed in Tesco monthly magazine and there were other winners. The text gave an email address to send name and address. A reply received, and coffee maker arrived a couple of weeks ago. There was no website link given.

If you haven't entered any Tesco competitions, the text you received looks like a scam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure