PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

My 4th or 5th NSD in a row :j ..... Looks like I might just make it to the weekend with NSDs...in fact -make that Monday as I had forgotten that hubby is golfing for the reme Friday and then has competitions Sat/sun :eek: good job THAT doesn't happen often.. mind he is off for 2 and a bit weeks from Friday -so perhaps it isn't a bad thing :rotfl: .. So NO shopping for me over the weekend :T ... We will go Blackberrying monday and nip into the NAAFI on a whoopsy search ..
    several plus points of hubbies golfing will be :-
    1. that I don't have to feed him much for those 3 days -his main meal will be provided :D ..
    2. I can take portions out of the freezer for me..and make abit more space:T
    3. ooohh and of course I won't feel the ittiest bittiest bit guilty for sitting on my behind x stitching n knitting for 3 days solid :D (not that i would anyway :p )
    Hubby managed to resist the Lure or the leftover savoury meat roll last night so we have about 1/2 of that left :D ... might have some for lunch and freeze the other for me when hubby is golfing :p ...
    I have a bowl of dough proving for a new loaf of bread and think tonight I might make some tortillas and use some of Sundays leftover chicken with salad -then freeze the rest to make canneloni later in the week ;)
    I have 2lbs of tomatoes to roast off again :j along with some peppers, chillies, patty pan and an aubergine all from the garden...so that will be some more bags for the freezer :D

right I had better get off and get some crafting done...woohoo.. have a great day everyone..and keep up the great work :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • taffy1969
    Options
    Philsmum - So sorry to hear your news. Hope you are ok. Taffy
    Need to sort my life out! :T
  • MrsHayes
    MrsHayes Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone :D Hope you are all well. Did my first shop for September last night. Got a trolley load of things in Lidl for £31 so was very impressed by that. Not so impressed with Mr A at all. Things I usually buy (such as sandwich fller) have gone up since last week some as much as 50p :eek: I was shocked when I came to pay. I am definitely going to try and get all my shopping in Lidl and only things that I can't get in Asda from now on. I forgot to budget for dog food as we buy massive bags which last a month so I was £7 over however I will try and make that up next week. I have stopped buying fresh rolls for my dinner at work (29p per day) and bought some pittas to bring instead - cheaper and better for the waistline! The only things I got that weren't from the grocery budget was some beer for Dh (on offer at £8) and £12.45 on lots of baking bits to make cookies and cakes for presents as I have 6 birthdays coming up! So they came out of the present fund.

Total shopping spend £47.58 =+ £10 Dh dinners = £57.58 so £7.58 over. Which I will try and make up next week! xx
    DS 1 born 12/02/2009
    DS 2 born 30/01/2012
    Married 07/07/07 <3
    xx Love my boys xx
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Have done that Nikki thankyou!

£10:05 in MrM, that included a fresh boned turkey thigh joint...I was looking at a Bernard Matthews frozen one, supposedly a breast joint but still made from "reformed meat" & that was £5:52 per kilo. I'm having a go at cooking up my own meat to slice for cold cuts, so got the fresh one @ £4:48 per kilo--breast was £6:69 I think.

£25:23 in my discount outlet place for loo rolls, sugar etc & a horseshoe gammon joint @ £3:99 per kilo.

I know I shouldn't have bought them both but they were very nice joints, both cooked in the oven at the same time last night & now awaiting a trip to me muvva's to use her electric slicer. So in theory I have been very :money: on the fuel & cost of sandwich fillings for the next couple of weeks...guess the final total will tell :o
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning Chums,
    well yesterday went well I spent 39p on rolls for the picnic as I used up some bread I had in my bread bin as well. So I have £49.71 left to last me for another 28 days as I have a NSD today as its tipping down, and I'm not going to bother to go out and get wet. I am putting on my slow cooker today to use up some spuds and a couple of leeks, and some sad-looking carrots to make some soup.I shall chuck in some dried pulses as well and hopefully shall have a large pot of veggie soup ,some of which I shall eat and some I shall freeze. I am going to root out some slices of bread from the freezer and also may make some of Twinks hob-nobs.
    Hope everyone has a good day and hangs on to their cash.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,
    Hoping for a NSD today as its is a cleaning/washing/housey day today and I am pretty tired also. I voted and commented on belfastgirls poll and hope that we manage to find something that accomodates us all without anyone feeling to left out by it. Will leave it at that for now, other than to say good luck everyone- :money:
    x OS
    Edited to say- the NSD went to plan, so thats one under my belt for September. I had originally put a second post on today but in light of recent discussion have deleted it. I have also gone through my posts (was surprised there were 14) and although most were hoepfully on topic I have deleted any that are not really relevant or edited out the less relevant bits.
    TBH I think I will just update my total on here and on my own spread sheet and basically pop on to read the posts, and post myself at the end of each week and then the month to let everyone know how its gone.
    This has been a valuable thread to me and thanks to all who contribute.
    Speak again on the 26th!
    xxx
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• angelatgraceland
    Options
    Mrs M-Please put me down for £300 for Sept challenge.
    Thanks
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    i had an nsd yesterday, just got to get 1/2 a dozen eggs for omlettes at dinner time - 69p from the paper shop;).

made 3 weekabix loaves yesterday but need to top up the flapjack tin.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Had 3 nsd's-Sat Sun and Mon so Im halfway through my first week already! Got back to the cooking yesterday and Sunday. Made Sausage casserole(well it was sos and burger casserole(using bits in packets from the freezer veg wise. Shepherds pie(just need to top with potato)and Chicken curry with homemade naan breads.Eaten all of the curry but froze all of the shepherds pies in individual tubs. I will boil up the spuds today to add the topping-I may freeze it separatly though so that I can serve it with whatever ~I like. Some casserole left-may freeze if if nobody wants it today. I seem to be adding chillis to everything lately and everyone is really enjoying it.
    Didnt go a bundle on the chicken in the curry-It was Iceland chicken breast strips-just the plain uncooked unflavoured stuff that is in the same freezer as the chicken breasts but I though it a bit watery and rubbery. Tasted ok in the curry-no complaints but next time I will buy the whole breasts and slice them myself. Tempted to do some branflake cake but it tempts me too much and Im getting fat!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • Hi Winky - i use a lot of starch too - this sounds good - what size of squirty bottle do you use - can i use any oil and does it keep if I dont use it all at once?
    Sorry for being a pest!
    TF xx

You're not a pest! The only reason for the essential oil is to make it smell nice. Size wise I used on old 500ml squirty/trigger type bottle (It was a glass cleaner in a previous life before I discovered the joys of Stardrops!:wink: ) and added a table spoon of cornflour. I also added a couple of drop of lavender oil .just to make it smell nice but you dont really need to.

I should imagine it would keep a little while, just shake it up to remix it as it settles. but at 2-3pennies a bottle its cheap and cheerful enough to make up a fresh batch each week.

HTH

Winky
    Right now I'm having amnesia and deja- vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure