Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    • 2,165Posts
    • 14,177Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 4:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 5:36 PM.
Page 112
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th May 19, 8:11 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Little Langley just going to sleep on the chest of drawers in the kitchen

Would love to see your picture of Langley Edwink. Awww I bet she looks so comfy and so sweet.

SisterAnna
    Originally posted by SisterAnna

3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    2 Ducks only now which survived a recent fox attack , bless them
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th May 19, 8:14 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Part of the new fence

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th May 19, 8:16 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    The fox jumped through the hedge and knocked all my flower pots over

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th May 19, 8:18 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Pingu and Hoppys OAP hut made from patio table and logs

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th May 19, 8:20 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Honeysuckle has been beautiful this year. Growing over the top of our log store by the house.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th May 19, 8:22 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Pingu and Hoppy relaxing. Hoppy is resting her head on the base of their feed store.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 26th May 19, 8:32 PM
    • 31,637 Posts
    • 186,733 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Those are amazing photos, Edwink, thank you for posting. They look such characters, and your fence is just wow.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Hope you enjoyed seeing some of the pics I have been taking. Didn't want to bore you all with them so just chose one of each selection I have taken over the past couple of weeks.

The first pic of Langley is one of my favourites I have of her. She was the little hen that was rehomed here after a fox killed 16 of her friends. She escaped the fox attack by flying up and perching on top of a fence and was the only one that survived out of 17 hens. She just found the highest place to sleep in the kitchen because that is where she obviously felt the safest whilst we were all chatting and having a cuppa, bless her.

I absolutely love the one of Hoppy resting her head whilst chilling out in the orchard area. Behind her are the old fence panels that are going to be fitted along the boundary in our allotment area to try and hold the hedging back as it's a mammoth task twice a year to cut it all back.

Cleaned out the ducks hotel today. I'm sure their hotel is actually cleaner than our house. Although there is only two ducks sleeping in it at the moment it is still cleaned out twice a week because of the warm weather. This is done not only for their comfort but also because I hate flies buzzing around it.

Finally will get some housework done tomorrow although I've still got to collect and tidy all the flower pots up that the fox knocked over before he jump through the hedge when my hubby chased him out. What a blooming mess he has made.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 26-05-2019 at 8:43 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th May 19, 9:15 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 44,513 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Lovely photos edwink, thanks for sharing I'll get round to sharing some one day I promise... Pesky fox knocking all your pots over Love the one of Langley asleep in the kitchen

Rusty had a little adventure earlier today... She's got into the habit of standing squarking in the front porch, which is amplified into the living room, and Mr Cheery always lets her in and she always ends up with some kind of treat

Anyway this morning she was squarking away so I let her in and she hopped up onto the sofa where Mr Cheery normally sits and was clucking and fussing and looking for him (well, that's how I interpreted it -I imagine really she was just looking for an apple core ) Anyway, Mr Cheery was still in bed, so I picked her up and we went to visit him

I'm not sure she was impressed It was a bit dark in there so I suspect she couldn't really see much, so we left again after about 30 seconds Not Sure Mr Cheery was too impressed either being woken up by a chicken

And I think I confused her by taking her out of the back door when she came in the front But all her pals were outside the back door and she doesn't seem remotely perturbed by it

Mixed their food with water this morning to make it into a mash. They don't seem to have been eating much of it, and I'm convinced they just don't like to eat the big pellets Well I have no idea if that's true but they certainly eat more of it when it's mixed with water into a kind of mush.

Possibly helped that I was doing some scything again this morning so left them shut in the run for about an hour after I let them out of their house, so they didn't have anything else to do in there but eat

Had a couple of soft shelled eggs lately, usually squashed in the house before I've got there, so I've started crushing up eggshells for them again - got out of the habit of that This morning I mixed a whole egg, and some crushed (really crushed up almost into powder) into their mash for a bit of protein/calcium.

Oh, and they may have had their first taste of banana this afternoon No wonder they don't eat their flippin breakfast
    Mortgage overpayments 1200 in 2018, 189.55 in 2019
    • edwink
    • By edwink 26th May 19, 11:53 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Rusty had a little adventure earlier today... She's got into the habit of standing squarking in the front porch, which is amplified into the living room, and Mr Cheery always lets her in and she always ends up with some kind of treat

Anyway this morning she was squarking away so I let her in and she hopped up onto the sofa where Mr Cheery normally sits and was clucking and fussing and looking for him (well, that's how I interpreted it -I imagine really she was just looking for an apple core ) Anyway, Mr Cheery was still in bed, so I picked her up and we went to visit him

I'm not sure she was impressed It was a bit dark in there so I suspect she couldn't really see much, so we left again after about 30 seconds Not Sure Mr Cheery was too impressed either being woken up by a chicken

And I think I confused her by taking her out of the back door when she came in the front But all her pals were outside the back door and she doesn't seem remotely perturbed by it
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Aww bless her Cheery. That reminds me of the time that mine were down at the house at the back and were pecking and tapping the glass on the French doors. I'd already given them some meal worms and chopped fruit for treats so I left them to it. A while later I went to take the recycling out the front door and when I opened the door there was a hen waiting to be let in. She just wandered past me in to the hallway and carried on in to the kitchen. When I came back in the front with the recycling bin she was chirping at the French door where the others were but on the other side of it. I opened the door and let her out and just stood there shaking my head. What peculiar & odd creatures hens are

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 26-05-2019 at 11:56 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 29th May 19, 7:57 AM
    • 40,783 Posts
    • 151,363 Thanks
    Pyxis
    As the colloquial Welsh for jellyfish is pysgod wibbli wobbli, (where pysgod means fish), my weird brain reckons that, instead of soft-shelled egg, it should be called wibbli wobbli egg.

Please take note, inwardly digest, and implement!

By the way, can wibbli wobbli eggs be eaten? Or is that not advisable, due to the risk of them being contaminated?

Love the photos, Edwink!

I see you have quite a collection of chickeny, ducky things!
    Last edited by Pyxis; 29-05-2019 at 7:59 AM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 29th May 19, 10:22 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    crv1963
    Great pics!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 31st May 19, 10:20 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi everyone, thank you all again for your support whilst going through this difficult time following the fox attack.

The fencing is finished....yay!
    What a mammoth task that was but it did make sense to renew other fencing whilst renewing the fox damaged areas. So that's over 200ft of fencing erected in individual slats and posts in just over 8 days. We knew we would need to replace some fencing in a couple of years time so it made sense to replace that now too. That's that major expense out of the way at least for another 15 maybe 20 years.

Sort of happier now with Pingu and Hoppys safety here but still on the look out for the fox all the time. The main fencing is 6ft 6 which is the permitted height and one wide area at 7ft now but that is not on any of our boundary lines although it still shouldn't be that high. Hopefully we will both settle and not worry so much but it's still hard knowing the fox can leap a 6ft fence. Still have not left Pingu and Hoppy unsupervised though so I can see netting being added before long

Just got to move the 3 greenhouses and build 4 very long raised beds for veg growing. Will post pics hopefully with Pingu and Hoppy in them as sure they will be as they are always round our feet trying to dig for worms when in our allotment area, bless them.

Hope everyone and their feathered friends are all doing well.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 31-05-2019 at 10:31 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 31st May 19, 11:01 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    As the colloquial Welsh for jellyfish is pysgod wibbli wobbli, (where pysgod means fish), my weird brain reckons that, instead of soft-shelled egg, it should be called wibbli wobbli egg. Please take note, inwardly digest, and implement!

By the way, can wibbli wobbli eggs be eaten? Or is that not advisable, due to the risk of them being contaminated?

Love the photos, Edwink! I see you have quite a collection of chickeny, ducky things!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Ok Pyxis they will now be known as wibbli wobbli eggs. You got that Cheery ?.

In theory they are in fact proper eggs but without their protective shell. But it's not advisable to eat them due to their shells being so thin as bacteria could easily transfer to the inside. We used to make scrambled eggs out of our wibbli wobbli eggs and give that as a treat to the hens after being thoroughly cooked. They absolutely loved it and scoffed the lot in minutes.

Yes we do have a lot of chicken and duck ornaments in our kitchen Probably around 100 of them in total all dotted about I'm a car boot fanatic and bring them home, put them in the dishwasher or washing machine and then they sit on any space available. Only ever had one chicken come out of the dishwasher without its painted face as it was washed off sadly We have them in the kitchen, living room, hall and cloakroom with none upstairs at all. You know me I am a bit nuts about hens and ducks. Have even got some fabric ones sewn on to what was a plain pair of dungarees and they are one of my favourite pairs. Oh and I'm a bit nuts about dungarees too but I won't disclose how many pairs I have of those

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 31-05-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 6th Jun 19, 9:42 AM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    All going well here with more netting fitted thankfully. Been really busy as in the process of sorting out the huge hedge that the fox leapt through. He hasn't made a complete hole in it as he actually struggled to get through it when hubby chased him out. We are going to use some of the old fencing that was taken down last week and fit it to the chain link fencing that is next to the very dense hedge, then we are going to fit chicken wire over the top of the fencing. This section is just over 60ft in length so a lot of work securing that area.

We have kept hens and ducks here for 10 years now and at one time we had 30 in total and never had any problems what so ever. We had seen foxes in the woods but looks as though one of them has found us now. Can not see any evidence of him coming in lately which is good but we are always on the look out for him and are still supervising Pingu and Hoppy whilst they are out of the coop and relaxing by the pond.

Our close neighbour had two dogs and had recently moved so it appears that the fox became brave and decided to take a chance and get in to our garden on much more than just one occasion. We are now just hoping that any new neighbours have a huge dog with a huge bark. We would like a dog ourselves as feel that would possibly help to keep the fox out but we are not ready to get one yet. We want to be responsible and know we are able to afford to keep one first. We have had 2 large dogs at separate times in the past but not whilst living here although we do have some friends dogs that stay with us from time to time.

Anyway we are still doing all we can to keep Pingu and Hoppy safe and that's all we can do at the moment. It's all just so time consuming sorting the boundaries out to make sure he can't get back in.

How is everyone else? All hens and ducks happy and healthy I hope.

Take care all.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 06-06-2019 at 9:47 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 7th Jun 19, 10:26 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    crv1963
    Hi edwink

We have two dogs and a couple of years ago despite being in their run a fox got in and killed our 3 hens, taking only one away to eat.

Our new run is covered but we have the problem of our Border Collie ripping the wire netting and going in and sitting with the hens! If she can get in then Mr Fox could! Tried heavier gauge wiring and blocking access but she still finds a way in!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jun 19, 8:38 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi edwink

We have two dogs and a couple of years ago despite being in their run a fox got in and killed our 3 hens, taking only one away to eat.

Our new run is covered but we have the problem of our Border Collie ripping the wire netting and going in and sitting with the hens! If she can get in then Mr Fox could! Tried heavier gauge wiring and blocking access but she still finds a way in!
    Originally posted by crv1963
    Looks like you will need to use chicken wire around the boundary of their coop if all else fails and your dog keeps getting in. That's what we have done here plus we cemented part of the lower half of the wire in to the ground and covered that in bricks/rubble before cementing it. That was all done as a way to protect ours at night. Unfortunately the fox that recently killed 9 of our girls and boys did so in daylight about an hour before their bedtime when all of them had reached the coop for the night. They all used to go up early as they were elderly and it took them a little longer to get there than it used too. If it had of been during the night when they were fully locked up the fox would never have got to them.

Sometimes it is difficult to know what to do for the best though isn't it?. There was a lot of work involved with cementing everything in as our coop is 24ft x 16ft but we are pleased that we took the time to do this as 10 years on it is still solid so there is no way the fox will get to Pingu and Hoppy at night when they are fully locked up. We are still supervising them during the day whilst they are out and in their pond even though we haven't seen the fox or any evidence of him gaining access to our property lately. We still don't trust him though because they are not known as sly for nothing.

Another idea is to lay paving slabs all the way around the boundary of their coop to stop anything digging under the sides, must be heavy ones though. But, if it still happens you can always lay another lot of paving slabs further out from the others you have laid and so on. Eventually it will be too difficult and too far away from the coop for a fox or dog to dig a tunnel under to get in.

Hope the above suggestions are of some help to you.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 07-06-2019 at 8:56 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Jun 19, 11:10 AM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 44,513 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Pleased to hear your fence is nicely underway edwink

Good luck with your dog crv1963. No suggestions from me I'm afraid Our run was originally covered with very heavy duty either 1 or 2 inch square wire stuff that nothing would have been able to rip (not remotely flexible) - but then a stoat got through that and into the hen house and killed 2 of our hens, so now op top of that we half quarter inch wire mesh as well - I imagine a dog/fox would be able to rip that stuff on its own, but the combination of the two should keep everything bigger than a woodlouse out (I hope )

All good here, although the hens are NOT impressed with this soggy blustery weather I've started giving them chicken porridge again rather than dry pellets - it's only dry pellets mixed with water, but they seem to eat that FAR more willingly than the pellets so with the extra small effort. They weren't bothering with the pellets much, I'm not worried about them starving as they're completely free range in the day, but we've had a few soft shelled eggs lately and I wanted to make sure they were getting the proper nutrition.

So chicken porridge it is, and as I say they're far more willing to eat that, and if there's leftover stuff in their run in the evening, they tend to eat that with more excitement than the corn that they usually get in the evening as well. So hopefully that will sort them out, and I've been mixing ground eggshells into it as well (I was mixing that with a separate bowl of grit - but given that they largely ignore the bowl of grit in favour of bits of stones etc from the drive and that they find in their foraging, it seemed safer to mix it into their food instead for a bit more calcium).

Sorry, that was very waffly

Had a little exciting trip last night, stayed over at my boss's house as we were at a work function til late so got to meet her chickens and ducks this morning She has four very pesky running ducks which keep escaping into next door's garden and four chickens - two big fluffy ones and two little fluffy bantams. Very cute - but not half as friendly as my lovely ladies and mostly ignored us.

I was planning on cleaning the hen house out today but I'm afraid the ladies will have to wait until it's stopped raining - I confess I am quite hungover today and the thought of being on my hands and knees in a soggy chicken run scooping out old bedding is not filling me with joy One more night won't hurt I'm sure!
    Mortgage overpayments 1200 in 2018, 189.55 in 2019
    • edwink
    • By edwink 12th Jun 19, 12:01 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 14,177 Thanks
    edwink
    Lets play spot the duck

Hens & ducks chat thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,747Posts Today

8,351Users online

Martin's Twitter