MSE News: Sky Q and Now TV customers will soon...

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am a tester for Sky+HD software trials and they are still actively working on future updates with no sign of stopping.

While I don't doubt they are keen on moving people to SkyQ the sheer logistics of getting all the Sky+HD users across means that it is going to keep runnng for some time yet. I think I saw a figure somewhere that 90% of Sky TV customers are not on Q. The non dish version may make a difference.

I am not, honestly, sure that that many folks are that interested in Q. I don't know anyone who has it and can think of some who haven't heard of it.

Sky+HD caters very effectively for a lot of people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    NeilCr wrote: »
    I am a tester for Sky+HD software trials and they are still actively working on future updates with no sign of stopping.
    But it's already no longer possible to get a new Sky+HD decoder from Sky. All new subscribers only have the option of SkyQ. Manufacture of new Sky+HD decoders has been discontinued.

Obviously, Sky won't want to end support for the existing decoders, but the fact remains that as soon as they start to fail through age the only option will be to replace them with SkyQ.
    While I don't doubt they are keen on moving people to SkyQ the sheer logistics of getting all the Sky+HD users across means that it is going to keep runnng for some time yet.
    I'd say "keen" is an understatement, they have invested all their resources in Q and will want a swift return.
  • NeilCr
    As per this thread Sky will replace a failed HD box with a refurbished one.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky/Can-one-still-get-a-Sky-HD-2-Tb-box-or-is-Sky-Q-the-only-option/td-p/2805453.

And they are still investing resources (maybe not a huge amount) on HD+ software updates. I believe there is a road map for these for a number of years to come.

And, very easy to get an HD+ box on a well known auction site.

I completely agree with you about the direction Sky are going I just think it will be over a longer period than some on here believe. I don't think there is huge interest out there in Q - many are quite content with their current set up - and we are talking about a lot of (many possibly reluctant) customers.
  • [Deleted User]
    As per this thread Sky will replace a failed HD box with a refurbished one.
    Only for as long as their stocks of "refurbished" ones last, of course.
    How long do you suppose that might be?
    they are still investing resources (maybe not a huge amount) on HD+ software updates
    You appear to be simply worried that your voluntary "tester" status might be about to end
    very easy to get an HD+ box on a well known auction site.
    Again, only as long as supplies last. Unlikely to be unused boxes.
    I completely agree with you about the direction Sky are going I just think it will be over a longer period than some on here believe.
    As Sky have discontinued production of Sky+HD I'm afraid it's inevitable.
    I don't think there is huge interest out there in Q - many are quite content with their current set up
    The fact remains that the old boxes will very quickly no longer be available.
    Do you suppose Sky will backtrack on Q and re-start production on Sky+?
  • NeilCr
    edited 3 March 2018 at 1:36PM
    I don't give a toss about my voluntary tester status. What a strange thing to say. I am perfectly happy, however, with my Sky+HD set up as is my partner and all of my friends.

And, no, I know that Sky will not backtrack on Q. Why would they? And where did I say that?

The "only" point I am trying to make which seems to be passing you by is that I believe it will take much longer than some think to get everyone over to SkyQ (and they will have to factor in losses too). I remember a poster on here saying that it would be done in a year!
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I wonder if the Netflix app will become available on the Now TV Box? This would make the box great value. Should be possible, as its a Roku box with some functionality disabled.

I dip in and out of Now TV and Sky Cinema as there is not a lot there of interest, but I maintain a regular subscription to Netflix where I can always find something of interest.

I wont be combining my subscriptions - I don't want to be compelled to subscribe to Now TV or Sky Cinema every month.
  • [Deleted User]
    I believe it will take much longer than some think to get everyone over to SkyQ (and they will have to factor in losses too). I remember a poster on here saying that it would be done in a year!
    I'm not aware of anyone ever stating Q would be in everyone's home after a year!:eek:

I've said from the outset that Sky's strategy with Q will be similar to the rollout of Sky+ and Sky Digital.

However, I believe the rapid success of the latter two technologies will not be matched by Q, not least because (as I said) the Q boxes have been rushed into circulation.

What is certain to happen, though, is that legacy decoders will become harder and harder to source and support for them will gradually dwindle.

By the way, exactly what software updates are planned for Sky+? I doubt it will be anything revolutionary...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    By the way, exactly what software updates are planned for Sky+? I doubt it will be anything revolutionary...

There'll be a confidentiality clause for testers so they wouldn't be able to say anything.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I wonder if the Netflix app will become available on the Now TV Box? This would make the box great value. Should be possible, as its a Roku box with some functionality disabled.

Lol, did you forget what this thread is about? :p
  • [Deleted User]
    There'll be a confidentiality clause for testers so they wouldn't be able to say anything.
    I know. That's why I asked. ;)

I also know it won't be anything too exciting. Sky want all the "buzz" to be about Q.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure