Scam email allegedly from the 'Halifax'

I received an email today asking me to confirm my Halifax details via a link... hmmm, I don't bank with the Halifax!

I have phoned the Halifax, and forwarded the email to them. Hopefully no one here will be caught out by it!
The IVF worked;DS born 2006.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    These fake emails have being doing the rounds a few years now. Most of the UK banks have been targetted.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • There's a toolbar that can help you authenticate sites as an aid to thwarting phishing scams

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/help/tutorials/using.html
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You'll also get these purporting to come from Ebay and Paypal, as well as all major UK and US banks. They are quite sneaky in making the link look like it's official, either by means of a disguised link or use of a URL which is close to that of the bank in question. Sometimes they even link to the site itself in secondary links, quite often to warnings against precisely this sort of fraud (as a sort of double bluff)

Never ever sign on to a secure website of any kind using a link sent in an e-mail. Always type in the URL directly to the 'address' bar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure