Beware A&L and Experian

Options
Anyone who took the A&L Premier a/c for the free £25 watch out i logged on to my experian file this morning to find a nice No1 theres no overdraft and accout has only had 1 deposit.
I called A&L they said you get the No1 for no account activity so closed it straight away this morning.

The biggest con i have ever seen a firm use of experian.

Comments

• Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I think you should protest both to A&L and Experian. To quote Experian a No.1 means "Payments are up to one month late". They can't stick a number 1 on your account just because they don't like you as a customer.

Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to have corrections made where information is wrong.

Point out to A&L they could have issued a "D" meaning "The account is not being used - no amount is owed", but not a 1.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hmmm... on closer inspection I notice the T&C of the Premier account say you are obliged to pay in £500pm (£1000pm on the Premier Plus).

If you have not done this you have indeed missed a payment and the "1" on your report is entirely justified.
  • mgr1970
    mgr1970 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    After i had the account for 3-4months i downgraded it to the standard plain current account which does not need the £500 plus the 1 month i didn't deposit £500 they charged the £5 account fee thats in the T&C's.

Will be fighting it through experian and the data protection act.

thanks.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... and they will have notified you, in advance, of the £5 charge (as banks are required to do for all charges) and if you failed to deposit £5 by the day the charge was debited, you would have been overdrawn without authorisation by £5 and hence a "1" was correct.

Or was your account sitting in credit after you'd downgraded it after scamming your £25?

I doubt it, somehow.

If you are going to try to scam people/companies, you have to follow the Ts & Cs. If you don't, it doesn't help your credit rating or sanity!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure