Has my name been updated with HMRC?

Options
Hello, I’m a little bit confused.

A little while ago, I went to my local council customer service with regards to updating my details (my name) because I get income tax and showed my marriage certificate as proof. The woman behind the counter took a photocopy of it and told me that it would be updated on the system.

Does that mean my name has been updated with HMRC?

I have looked on the HMRC website and it states:

“What happens next
HMRC will update your personal records for:

Income Tax and National Insurance
tax credits and benefits, including Child Benefit
services, including the Pension Service”

So since I have updated my name with income tax, does that mean I don’t need to bother updating my name via the HMRC website or by phoning up the HMRC customer service? In all fairness, I’m not comfortable with typing my personal details online, no matter how safe the website is said to be, do you think that someone from the HMRC customer service will be able to tell me if my name has been updated and if not update it for me?

The HMRC website gives the option to use the HMRC website by creating an account or to phone a number to update your name or address.

Thank you.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello, I’m a little bit confused.

A little while ago, I went to my local council customer service with regards to updating my details (my name) because I get income tax and showed my marriage certificate as proof.

We're a little confused too.

(1) Your local Council wouldn't be able to update your details for income tax. They are not HMRC.

(2) You don't get income tax, you might get income support (a benefit). You pay income tax.

So when you went to the local Council, what document did you take other than your marriage certificate - a DWP (benefit) award letter? a council tax bill?

I would suggest you go onto HMRC's website and provide them with the update of name that way.
    Link: https://www.gov.uk/tell-hmrc-change-of-details/relationship-or-family-changes
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • EvanderEvans
    Options
    We're a little confused too.

(1) Your local Council wouldn't be able to update your details for income tax. They are not HMRC.

(2) You don't get income tax, you might get income support (a benefit). You pay income tax.

So when you went to the local Council, what document did you take other than your marriage certificate - a DWP (benefit) award letter? a council tax bill?

I would suggest you go onto HMRC's website and provide them with the update of name that way.

A council customer service place that deals with tax, benefits, etc. The place in your city or town you go for anything to do with tax credits, housing benefits, etc.

Yes, sorry, I receive income support.

After I got married I took down my marriage certificate and asked for my name to be updated.

I don’t want really want to create a Government Gateway, do you think I’ll be able to get it changed on the phone?
    Yes, sorry, I receive
  • EvanderEvans
    Options
    A council customer service place that deals with tax, benefits, etc. The place in your city or town you go for anything to do with tax credits, housing benefits, etc.

Yes, sorry, I receive income support.

After I got married I took down my marriage certificate and asked for my name to be updated.

I don’t want really want to create a Government Gateway, do you think I’ll be able to get it changed on the phone?

Sorry, I don’t know what happened with the last post.
  • EvanderEvans
    Options
    Local customer service councils must be part of the HMRC because I moved home last year and I updated my details at my local customer service council and a few months later I received my tax rebate at my new address,

It makes sense considering that the local customer services deal with the different taxes and the HMRC website states that one’s Income Tax and National Insurance
    tax credits and benefits, including Child Benefit services, including the Pension Service all share the same records.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well you might, but you'll find more and more that without a government gateway account, you won't be able to do what you need to do. For example, driving licence, passport, checking your tax affairs.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you'd be best off taking all your paperwork to your local citizens advice bureau and ask for their help in sorting out who you should tell about what, as it's not very clear from what you've said.
  • EvanderEvans
    Options
    I’m sorry for not making myself more clearer.

As far as I know, every city or town has a place where one can pay their council tax and that place is normally referred to as a council service centre which has services available for council tax, housing benefits and other types of tax.

A few weeks ago I went to my local one with my marriage certificate and spoke to a woman and explained that I had recently got married and needed to have my surname updated. She told me that would be no problem and took a photocopy of my marriage certificate and said that my details would be updated instantly.

And, like I mentioned, I received a tax rebate which was addressed in my marriage name.

I really can’t imagine that a council customer service which deals with the different taxes does not update people’s details with HMRC.

Nevertheless, I’ll phone up the HMRC customer service tomorrow to find out if my details have been updated.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry, I don’t know what happened with the last post.

You accidentally deleted the "[/QUOTE]" text at the end of the block of text you were quoting from Tigsteroonie's post.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You could simply ask the council service centre where you provided your documents. They will presumably be able to tell you which services / organisations will be updated by the chnages they make, and can probably help you to update HMRC is they have not already ben updated.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Local customer service councils must be part of the HMRC because I moved home last year and I updated my details at my local customer service council and a few months later I received my tax rebate at my new address,

It makes sense considering that the local customer services deal with the different taxes and the HMRC website states that one’s Income Tax and National Insurance
    tax credits and benefits, including Child Benefit services, including the Pension Service all share the same records.

I work for HMRC and can categorically tell you that this is not the case!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure