School Holiday Fines

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yawn...... really? again?? :huh:

This has been done to death, over and over and over and I've seen nothing new in the last half dozen threads. What is the point of starting another?? :wall:

There seems to have been an awful lot of pointless threads started by MSE folk in the last few months....... :whistle:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • I think this is yet another example of this Tory government penalising the poor whilst the rich do as they please! A £60 fine is not worth worrying about for the better off whereas for poorer families it can be make or break.
  • At my children's school they seem to go on wind down after the summer SAT's and other tests. The last week especially is spent playing and watching DVD's. Perhaps schools should be fined for failing to educate my year 9 & 10 children whilst they are in their care!
  • rawtalent
    rawtalent Posts: 21
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2015 at 1:21PM
    I've only had chance to have a quick read through. There are several errors.

To start.
    LEA's do not issue fines. They issue PCNs/ FPNs ( penalty notices).
    Only a court can issue a Fine.
    I help admin an advice/support group for parents.
    If everyone uses the correct terms it really would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jan

Against School Holiday Fines
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/320889104722130/
  • Hi Megan, nice article!
    Could you change the information on Wales to read "Head teachers in Wales have the power to authorise up to 10 days absence from school for family holidays and more in exceptional circumstances" See references at

parentswantasay.co.uk/pembrokeshire-parents-want-a-say-appears-before-welsh-assembly-petitions-committee
    Also
    gov.wales/about/cabinet/cabinetstatements/2014/clarificationonschoolattendance/?lang=en

Thanks!
  • What I do not understand is why achieving such a high level of attendance at a State school is so important but not at a private school.

It does very much make Dragon2273's argument look reasonable.
  • denerobt
    denerobt Posts: 35 Forumite
    Ok here goes.....

It is possible to take your child out of school for as long as you like and have them return to school whenever you please......on 1 condition.

If your school is NOT oversubscribed, then inform the headteacher that you wish to home tutor your child for a period of time. This only works if the school is NOT over subscribed as they have a duty to accept your child back. The laws on home education are so flexible as to be nearly non-existent. There is nothing in the current guidlines about a minimum length of time for home tutoring. you can say your going to home study your child then change your mind.
    There's nothing saying you have to follow any curriculam whatsoever. Someone from the LEA may visit....unlikely but they MAY.

You can inform your school you wish to home tutor your child 2 weeks before the summer holidays and then inform them your child wishes to return to normal schooling.

I've looked into this at length after I made a flippant remark about taking our lads out of school for a much cheaper holiday. That then got me thinking and reading.

If you find any writtings in the legislation then I'm happy to be corrected. Good luck.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,299
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    denerobt wrote: »
    Ok here goes.....

It is possible to take your child out of school for as long as you like and have them return to school whenever you please......on 1 condition.

If your school is NOT oversubscribed, then inform the headteacher that you wish to home tutor your child for a period of time. This only works if the school is NOT over subscribed as they have a duty to accept your child back. The laws on home education are so flexible as to be nearly non-existent. There is nothing in the current guidlines about a minimum length of time for home tutoring. you can say your going to home study your child then change your mind.
    There's nothing saying you have to follow any curriculam whatsoever. Someone from the LEA may visit....unlikely but they MAY.

You can inform your school you wish to home tutor your child 2 weeks before the summer holidays and then inform them your child wishes to return to normal schooling.

I've looked into this at length after I made a flippant remark about taking our lads out of school for a much cheaper holiday. That then got me thinking and reading.

If you find any writtings in the legislation then I'm happy to be corrected. Good luck.
    It's a risky strategy.
    I would imagine there are few good or outstanding schools that are under subscribed, in fact many will have a waiting list and that place will be taken within a heartbeat of you withdrawing your child.
    Of course, if it's a failing school you could argue that the child is better off out of it anyway........ :whistle:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 November 2015 at 6:20PM
    I think the decision will get overruled as regularly is vaguely defined.

"(3)

The child shall not be taken to have failed to attend regularly at the school by reason of his absence from the school—

(a)

with leave,

(b)

at any time when he was prevented from attending by reason of sickness or any unavoidable cause, or

(c)

on any day exclusively set apart for religious observance by the religious body to which his parent belongs."

However. If the parents make a religious pilgrimage during term time to Italy, spain or wherever then that is ok right?

"The EU is committed to be at the forefront of international efforts to combat religious intolerance and to defend freedom of religion or belief. In doing so, the EU remains neutral and is not supporting any specific religion or belief."

P.S. The cost argument is pretty much irrelevant. If the costs were the same during term time and school holidays then all that would happen is they would sell out quickly and the majority still wouldn't be able to go anyway. They couldn't increase supply as there isn't enough demand throughout the year to cover their costs. You'd still be forced to take your children out of school, but you'd have to pay the same for the privilege as someone who managed to bag time off during the school holidays.
    What I do not understand is why achieving such a high level of attendance at a State school is so important but not at a private school.

The staff at private school are prepared to help students catch up because their staff are motivated. If you ask the teachers to do more in a state school they will go on strike. You currently get fined because you are an inconvenience to them.

Private schools adapt to the paying customers, so some close extra days in January because of the skiing season. While state schools set their timetable to the working hours of Victorian children and hasn't changed since. They forgot that they are our employees and not our bosses.
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    phillw wrote: »
    I think the decision will get overruled as regularly is vaguely defined.

"(3)

The child shall not be taken to have failed to attend regularly at the school by reason of his absence from the school—

(a)

with leave,

(b)

at any time when he was prevented from attending by reason of sickness or any unavoidable cause, or

(c)

on any day exclusively set apart for religious observance by the religious body to which his parent belongs."

However. If the parents make a religious pilgrimage during term time to Italy, spain or wherever then that is ok right?

"The EU is committed to be at the forefront of international efforts to combat religious intolerance and to defend freedom of religion or belief. In doing so, the EU remains neutral and is not supporting any specific religion or belief."

Double standards eh? If a parent takes a child out for a 2 week holiday, they are bad parents who are disrupting their child's education. However, if it's for anything to do with their religion, it's OK. (Unless of course it's Christianity; Christians are not allowed special concessions.) ;)

phillw wrote: »

The staff at private school are prepared to help students catch up because their staff are motivated. If you ask the teachers to do more in a state school they will go on strike. You currently get fined because you are an inconvenience to them.

Private schools adapt to the paying customers, so some close extra days in January because of the skiing season. While state schools set their timetable to the working hours of Victorian children and hasn't changed since. They forgot that they are our employees and not our bosses.

:T Couldn't have put it better myself.
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport