Where is the student accommodation area in Newcastle for University?

Hi all

I know this may not sound like a money saving tip but eventually it will because hopefully we will choose the right accommodation. So our daughter has just passed her A-level exams and in September will go to Newcastle university. As we only got the results a few days ago we now only have Less than four or five weeks to find student accommodation for her.

This weekend my wife and I have a free weekend so we decided to go to Newcastle for the weekend and enjoy some fun, food & drinks etc in Newcastle on its own merits. However we thought that while we were there, in between visiting pubs and restaurants we would go and visit the student area to furnish ourselves in advance and maybe Give our selves some ideas of what we are talking about when it comes to choosing the accommodation with our daughter.

Our daughter has a car a friend of a friend told us she would be better leaving her car at home here in Manchester because Newcastle University is quite close to the city so she would be better commuting from accommodation to university by bus simply because it would be very difficult to get in and out of the city centre and parking is difficult. Also, bloke down the pub told me that the student area in Newcastle is called Jesmond, yet when I looked online the house prices in Jesmond seem quite high which would indicate that this area called Jesmond is quite affluent and may not be the student area.

I would be grateful for anybody’s opinions on what I have written here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,571
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As it's your daughter's first year at University, students usually spend their first year in Halls and although it costs an arm and a leg, it will be preferable for your daughter in a new city as she will be with others in a similar situation.

Has your daughter definitely got a place at the Uni starting this September, if so, apply here for accommodation. If it's Newcastle University apply here for accommodation:
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/new-students/apply/

Newcastle has two Unis, Newcastle and Northumbria so make sure you have the correct one.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • She should look at going into student halls of residence for first year. It's likely that she'll be guaranteed a place, and the university will have already sent her details of the application process when her place was confirmed, I'm sure.

It's never particularly wise to go into private accommodation for Y1 for most students, in my experience.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As we only got the results a few days ago we now only have Less than four or five weeks to find student accommodation for her.
    Slight correction: your DD has 4-5 weeks in which to find accommodation, and abundant details will have been sent to her to help her do so ...
    Our daughter has a car a friend of a friend told us she would be better leaving her car at home here in Manchester because Newcastle University is quite close to the city so she would be better commuting from accommodation to university by bus simply because it would be very difficult to get in and out of the city centre and parking is difficult.
    This is almost certainly true: I don't know the layout of either of the universities in Newcastle, but it's extremely rare for students to be able to park on campus (if it's a campus), and there may be restrictions on parking around the campus too. Plus, if it's not a campus, parking is likely to be very thin on the ground anywhere near any of the popular facilities.

Plus, whatever her experience of winter driving around Manchester, conditions may be very much worse 'oop north'. I was at Durham, where they keep the snowploughs dotted around the countryside all year, and the winter I DID have a car there was very 'interesting' from that point of view.

Plus plus, not many of her friends will have a car, which means she may find she's very popular for nights out, going to the supermarket, taxi alternative to the station etc etc etc.
    Also, bloke down the pub told me that the student area in Newcastle is called Jesmond, yet when I looked online the house prices in Jesmond seem quite high which would indicate that this area called Jesmond is quite affluent and may not be the student area.
    Bloke down the pub may be right: I can tell you that the student area in Bristol covers Clifton and Redland, where every other house has been turned into bedsits in order to cover the sky-high mortgages.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Your daughter will not need her car in Newcastle, Jesmond is the main student accommodation area and they do have a metro system so she can easily get into central Newcastle.
  • Jesmond and Gosforth are nice, safe areas close to the uni
  • jesmond is so nice!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family