Can I Send My Mobility Car Back?

Options
Hi,

My mum had a drinking problem in the last 10 years, she went into rehab for 3 months, was sober for almost a year in total.. I wanted to get a mobility car to help get me around, she offered.. but now she's relapsed and the other driver on the insurance has passed away.. where do I stand? surely these are special circumstances that are not my fault?

I'm already stressed as it is with my mum drinking again she will probably end up dead.. I don't need the added stress of paying for a car I'm not using I can't afford it.. :(

Thanks MSE'ers I really appreciate it.. just really low at the minute as there's nothing more I can do to help my mum.. I have the stress of my own life and disabilities to deal with.. :(

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Call Motability customer services and explain the situation. Only they can advise for certain based on your particular circumstances. I have heard of others handing back their cars early, so it's not a unique situation.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There shouldn't be any problems in returning the car. Lots of people have done this in the past without any problems at all.
  • Cyclamen
    Options
    I arranged years ago for My Dad's car to go back at the time he could not drive due to his health and Mum was unable to drive.

I can't remember who i phoned but it was a really simple process and resolved quickly.

This doesn't stop you asking for a car again at a later date.. Dad is now well enough to drive himself but still poorly to qualify for motability.. and we were very honest saying he handed one back early and they were fine with it.

They did say the 'god condition' payment wouldnt be paid for an early return but then paid it anyway.. we phoned and they said keep it it was right.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    same with mine Cyclamen, the most recent car went back a year into the contract, no problem at all and again the good condition payment was made despite specifically being told it couldn't be
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure