PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have discovered that the balaclava I'm knitting for myself has gone wrong when I started turning. I know I should have the same number of stitches each end once I've done an even row, and I've got three more at one end than the other. Not sure how many rows will need undoing but a bit peeved, and it is too hot to think about it.

also made no progress with sewing up the mohair cardigan. Just too sticky.

But ... I went out for the day with a friend, for her birthday, and she suggested a wool shop I have not been to before! We started with a lovely lunch at a place neither of us had been to, but it was right by where we'd parked. Then rolled down the hill a few yards to the shop.

And I found the PERFECT buttons for the cardigan! I've been looking for ages, I've knitted some but don't much like them, and the trouble was I knew what I wanted - a round button in the main colour, with a shank so you wouldn't see the stitches. But the main colour is slightly variegated, and I just couldn't find anything I liked enough to pay over £1 per button (I need 10!)

These are the perfect colour red, and they have a little swirl in them, a bit white and a bit purple so they look fab on the purple ribbing. And they were only 25p each, and as there were only 11 left I got them all for £2.50! I did say I'd have bought 12 if they'd had them, always worth having a spare IMO.

But I was also led astray and bought some Stylecraft DK, 75% acrylic, 25% cotton, multicoloured in Just My Colours. £2 for 100g, and they had 8 balls, so I have bought them all, and a pattern for a cardigan which is long in the body and has pockets, and a V neck. I know I could have looked online or asked my sisters, but I just thought 'no, I know I like this, I'm just going to get it.'

But I'm going to sort out the cardigan and the balaclava first. Honest.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds like a wonderful day was had Sue!

Today is colour change day on my blanket which always pleases my spirit.

I also have another 3 project ideas to sketch up in my book, to add to the ever growing list LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Savvy_Sue
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    Sounds like a wonderful day was had Sue!
    It was a really super day, and I will definitely go back to that shop next time I need buttons: they seemed to be much less scary prices than any I'd found elsewhere.

Tonight I have taken the balaclava back as far as I intend to go. Tomorrow I'll start knitting it again ...
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    It was a really super day, and I will definitely go back to that shop next time I need buttons: they seemed to be much less scary prices than any I'd found elsewhere.

Tonight I have taken the balaclava back as far as I intend to go. Tomorrow I'll start knitting it again ...

Sue, I've been meaning to ask... Why are you knitting a balaclava?

- Pip

(I have visions of a squad of stealthy, balaclava wearing MSE-Ninjas, confronting shoppers and demanding to know "Is it in Budget?", "Did you save up for it?", "Do you really need it?" and slapping away hands reaching for credit-cards....)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Savvy_Sue
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Sue, I've been meaning to ask... Why are you knitting a balaclava?

- Pip

(I have visions of a squad of stealthy, balaclava wearing MSE-Ninjas, confronting shoppers and demanding to know "Is it in Budget?", "Did you save up for it?", "Do you really need it?" and slapping away hands reaching for credit-cards....)
    Not just ANY balaclava, it's a pink balaclava ...

I knitted one in grey cotton and wore it a few times when Nordic walking: there's an icy wind where we usually set out from and I don't like cold ears. People laughed at it, but less at the end of the walk when my ears were still toasty warm and theirs weren't.

Anyway, I thought I'd run out of the grey cotton and ended up buying a ball of this lovely pink stuff, a cotton and tencel mix, to finish it with. So I thought I'd do another balaclava, in my favourite colour. And as I did then find a small ball of the grey cotton, I can always finish it in grey if the pink runs out ...
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Awaiting delivery of one ball of wool (yes one!) to be able to continue the blanket.
    So I opted for a one day project to keep me occupied, 200g of a Hatfield super chunky and I have a lovely variegated cowl scarf for Autumn which blends nicely with a beige\oatmeal duffle coat I have. The yarn is blue,sea greens, light green, pale pink pink and oatmeal. Happy with how it turned out, especially as I was attempting a new stitch pattern . Some mistakes made but that's life.

I may now give my fingers a break from looming LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Savvy_Sue
    Tonight was signature update day because - drumroll, fanfare - I HAVE FINISHED THE MOHAIR CARDIGAN!

And so glad I bought the extra button because I fudged the neckband / front bands and realised I'd better put an extra buttonhole in the neckband, even though I will NEVER do it up!

anyway, I'm left with a question over the new cardigan pattern: in the 'general instructions you probably don't need to read' it says something like "after casting off you'll be left with one stitch on the right hand needle which is not included in the following instructions" and I have absolutely no idea what that means ... thoughts?
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Tonight was signature update day because - drumroll, fanfare - I HAVE FINISHED THE MOHAIR CARDIGAN!

And so glad I bought the extra button because I fudged the neckband / front bands and realised I'd better put an extra buttonhole in the neckband, even though I will NEVER do it up!

Congratulations. You must be pleased.

Photo please!
    anyway, I'm left with a question over the new cardigan pattern: in the 'general instructions you probably don't need to read' it says something like "after casting off you'll be left with one stitch on the right hand needle which is not included in the following instructions" and I have absolutely no idea what that means ... thoughts?

What do the instructions say further on? You really need to read the whole pattern because that stitch will be relevant but, possibly, only to the making up instructions. For now, I’d put the stitch onto a safety-pin/clip-style stitch marker and leave it.

Incidentally, what is the pattern? (Name, designer, link to it on Ravelry.). Have you read other people’s project notes on Ravelry? You may find them enlightening.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Savvy_Sue
    Congratulations. You must be pleased.

Photo please!
    Well, I am pleased, but as you'll see from other posts I don't really 'do' photos. Plus it's clear from the photo DH took that amazing as the finished cardigan is, it does nothing for my figure. :rotfl: Think Michelin man in red mohair with purple trim ...
    What do the instructions say further on? You really need to read the whole pattern because that stitch will be relevant but, possibly, only to the making up instructions. For now, I’d put the stitch onto a safety-pin/clip-style stitch marker and leave it.
    I've read the whole pattern, and at no point is this final lonely stitch referred to again.
    Incidentally, what is the pattern? (Name, designer, link to it on Ravelry.)
    I bought the pattern at the same time as the wool. I thought "I can see that this pattern is the right style, goes up to larger sizes, and takes less wool than I'm buying. I can either buy it now or go home and spend the next three weeks looking for something similar on Ravelry." No brainer ...

The pattern is downstairs and the computer is up but the two may come together soon ...
    Have you read other people’s project notes on Ravelry? You may find them enlightening.
    Please don't encourage me. MSE takes enough of my time. :rotfl:
  • Savvy_Sue
    The pattern is downstairs and the computer is up but the two may come together soon ...
    Stylecraft 9549 - but the wool is variegated so I won't be doing contrast stripes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure