Care at home costs?

Options
My mother is next week having care needs assessment carried out by the local council,after this it says she needs to have a financial means test.

I know the limit at which council help towards funding stops at £23,500 and she has over this so will be self funding,however ive read the more you have the more you pay. So would someone with £30k pay less than someone with £50K or is it the more you have up to £23500?
Anyone have knowledge of the approximate hours per week allocated (is there a lower/upper limit) and are the costs hourly or any other advice please leave a reply,totally new to this so everything is appreciated.
Thank You.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's up to £23,500. How many hours depends on the needs of the person needing the care/support.
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are self funding you can decide how many hours you want to fund and what for. You don't have to stick to the 'care plan'.

Costs vary hugely and change with areas.. some care agencies also have two rates.. the one they charge self -funders and a lower one they charge council funded. This is so very wrong but the council rarely pay enough to meet the agency standard rate.

If you employ directly you would need to have employers insurance/do payslips with TAX unless you fond a genuine self employed person.

Over £23, 500 she would be self funding. If she is only slightly over this threshold is there any equipment that is needed eg wheelchairs, new bed etc to make her life more comfortable that can be purchased before her assesment. Obviously be aware of excessive/unneceesary spending but do see if anything is needed.
  • Londonlisa12
    Londonlisa12 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 27 May 2019 at 5:20PM
    Options
    Thank you both.

So do you go through the financial assessment if you agree beforehand you have more than £23500 and happy to be self funding?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My dad has carers 4 times a day for around 20 minutes a visit, he currently pays around £150 for this.
  • Londonlisa12
    Options
    Venison, is that total self funding or a percentage and partly paid by the council?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    He's not short of a few bob so is self funding, but he can manage at home with this help, the alternative would be him paying around £900 a week in a home
  • Londonlisa12
    Options
    The same as my mum and she / we do not mind paying.

What type of things do they help your dad with?
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    My mom had to have carers when she lived at home. They used to come in and make sure medicines were given early in the morning and breakfast and ad with her washing herself if needed.
    I did the pm visit to check she was ok.

The carers did the evening again medicines and a wash and supper.

Things like shopping and household duties you would probably employ someone else to do. My moms visit were 30 minute visits.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure