Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the twelth and final Grocery Challenge of 2011

Don't forget we have the Christmas 2011 OS preparation thread. The first post is an excellent resrouce for links and threads, so please do use it

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your November budget, then keep on posting in the November Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 17-11-2011 at 9:18 AM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 24
  • ShrinkingSavingKaren
    Just a catch up post 68 was last weeks goodies, also spent 12 in mrt in the week on bogof's so 80/400 so doing ok...
    228/400 dec groc challenge...
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 9th Dec 11, 9:43 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    mummyjane
    NSD today, ds still home poorly and I've now got it too

Hoping for another NSD tomorrow, have a shop coming from Mr S Sunday afternoon as I have vouchers. Have stocked up for Christmas with the basics range, mainly tinned and packets plus got a few presents half price too

Will update my signature on Sunday once the shopping's been.
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 9th Dec 11, 10:06 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    5.04 To report , have added it to my sig.

Get paid on 21st but will see how long a fiver can last me, just 1 more bottle of drink to get schloer or bottle green for crimbo and my contribution towards family meal, which will be paying for chicken pieces from cost co, both from my crimbo budget, also need to buy a basket for a gift and some lindt choccie bears to add to chocolate slabs i'm making with my god daughter, but all from a different budget.

Have all the food i can eat for now, freezers are bursting, fridge is o.k i don't anything but curry powder and bbq sauce, i saw reggae reggae sauce was on special at mr t's for 1 so will get some of that, also i bought my cuz the levi roots cookbook for crimbo pt 4, so think of buying 1 each of the sauces to bundle with it, the book cost me 7 so 9 prsent won't be bad.

Have the week off, not back until 19th, so hopefully i will be doing alot of cooking and eating from the freezers, to get the fridge down for crimbo bargains.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 9th Dec 11, 10:08 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    NSD today for me as I started with a tummy bug last night and have spent most of the day running to the loo! I think its going round so I exepct kids will get it..

I haven't eaten anything all day and DD2 was out for tea at a sleepover so I made some brisket for DD1 - I had bought it in Aldi - it was boil in the bag and it looked nice - I did it with mash and peas, which I thought was a herculean effort seeing as how I felt so bad - she wouldn't eat it as she said it was rank so the dogs got it. Won't be buying that again then.

I need to go shopping as we need basics llike milk, washing up liquid, soap powder etc but I don't know whether or not to stay in tomorrow too to make sure I am over this bug. I can make a loaf in the breadmaker and we have loads of Lurpak and we also have beans, fish fingers, oven chips, tuna and soup so they won't starve!

I made my Christmas week shopping list and reckon that it will cost me about 100 for everything - more than I hoped for even after I cut it down quite considerably! We always loads of teenagers in the house and they eat like they have hollow legs! Plus my sister is coming to stay and she can eat for England!

Just going to look on the vouchers thread and see it there is anything worth getting!! Still under half of the budget.....
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • dannie
    • By dannie 10th Dec 11, 5:55 AM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    dannie
    Hi,

A friend collected more milk for me so I have a few days supply. Also, an ebay order arrived for "essential" (edible) health products which normally last one week. Consequently my total spends so far have crept up.
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 10th Dec 11, 6:01 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Well today will be a spend day, as just remembered its the Farmers Market in the village at 9am so plan to go, I keep forgetting, but hoping to buy some nice food towards Christmas as well as local meat and vegetables. Just got to wrap up rather warm as its 1c out there and I will also only take out what I plan to spend at most from cash machine, about 40 unless I see something that really is a good bargain........so be back later to report spends
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 119.12/2012-? Save 12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
    • meg72
    • By meg72 10th Dec 11, 8:46 AM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    Feeling very sorry for myself as in a lot of pain my knees are swollen up and throbbing. I have done toomuch up and down stepladder topaint my living room.Oh well will keep me out of the shops for a while longer.
    Slimming World at target
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 10th Dec 11, 9:57 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Going to inlaws tomorrow so a free dinner for us... there is not much that can top a free dinner!
    Originally posted by xxlouisexx56
    Yeah there is... free dinner with a doggy bag to take home!!!!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 10th Dec 11, 10:36 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    I went to a$da yesterday for some boxer short, pyjamas, and a few other non-food bits, and ..... drum roll please..... I DIDN'T go to the reduced sections!! I'm so proud of myself! I didn't need anything, so it wouldn't have been a bargain.

Have a good day all,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • WelshWoofer
    Just back from Mr T's and even though I took a list I went a bit bonkers - I think sometimes you just get fed up of watching every penny and just get what you fancy - that's what happened today anyway. Managed to spend 39 from a budget of 30 - oh well, its not a complete disaster financially for me but a bit silly all the same (I did get some yummy stuff for a change though)

Sloping off to update the sig......I blame the weather
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • prepareathome
    • By prepareathome 10th Dec 11, 11:17 AM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 24,925 Thanks
    prepareathome
    Well was at the Farmers Market and managed to spend 110 I can take 10 off as non grocery as its a flower pot man sitting knitting leaning against a solar light ( I am a knitter) and another 10 for a beautiful wreath and some mistletoe but that still means I spent 90 on organic meat, sausages, chicken, cheeses, free range fresh eggs laid yesterday and veg Oh well will make sure I eat it in between normal meat, and there is enough there for quite a few weeks. So that has certainly bumped my total up, but not been there for over a year and most likely just as long before I manage to get there again. Did get a lovely piece of lamb - forget what he called it, top of the leg that looked almost nice enough to eat raw, organic, it cost me 12 and although I bought it for Christmas Dinner it will do us about 4 meals. Oh well off to update my sig.
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 119.12/2012-? Save 12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
  • tracey12
    Diesel is the issue for us, I have a 10 miles round trip school run twice a day plus at this time of year there are extra trips out there for discos and plays etc, I have a quarter of a tank left so it's not looking like it'll last, will have to find some money from somewhere for some more fumes
    Originally posted by mum26
    I know the feeling. My eldest dd is in school and my youngest dd is in nursery so just feel like I am driving around most of the day picking them up at different times. I have to drop dd at school for 8.45am, drop off dd at nursery for 9.00, then pick up dd from nursery at 11.30am and then go home and back to school for 3.00pm. It will be worse on Monday at eldest dd leaves school at 3.00pm and has to be back for 5.40pm as she has her nativity.

It will be a lot easier when youngest dd starts school in September. I am spending a fortune on diesel at the moment and I find that if I don't go straight home I end up spending loads at various supermarkets

A NSD for me today, we have been busy doing homework this morning. My youngest dd had a make a hat for her christmas party on Wed.

Tracey
    Officially debt free
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 10th Dec 11, 12:41 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    Updates from me for the last few days,
    Thursday finished my Christmas shopping all barring a couple of stocking fillers and fresh foods (veg, cream etc). Took mum to get a few veg from a house on a village near us, they have a shed that they sell bits from, got myself a huge cauli, some sprouts,carrots, some gorgeous pears and some black kale! All for 3.30.
    Friday our local MrT finally had some descent reductions, a lot of sliced meats, most in my freezer to be turned into main meals, a few given to DS1 to put in his (now overflowing) freezer to give him a bit of variety in his packed lunches, also got him a bag of apples for a whole 10p!
    Total spent 81.58 including pork and beef joints for Christmas.
    Today will be a NSD.

Random thought, would black kale, that looks purple, be classed as greens?

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • mandco
    • By mandco 10th Dec 11, 2:08 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 9,601 Thanks
    mandco
    well my plan of keeping it under 20 failed drastically lol total spends of 40 to declare though that does include a piece of gammon and a few christmas munchies that I dont need to get next wk now and a few bits for school xmas parties that I forgot about so not quite as bad as it seems hopefully.

apart from bread should be able to manage till my planned big shop near the end of next wk just need to stay out of the shops and stick to the meal plan.though the b1g2f j2o offer in mr m starting monday is tempting will be getting some anyway but it means making a special trip as theres not one local and then theres the temptation to buy extras while i'm there decisions decisons

overall not doing too badly so far this month though still have the big shop to do though hopefully that should pretty much see us through till the end of the month apart from f&v/bread/milk top ups.

hope everyones ok and not been too affected by this lousy weather.
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 10th Dec 11, 2:11 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 11,582 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    I need my hands smacked!

Went and spent 28 today! not all from budget, was in mr t's managed to spend 15 on 7 bottles of reggae rreggae sauce and relises, 3 of these bottles are to go with the levi roots cookbook as part of a pressie, a huge 2.5 kg bag of hme fries cost 1.20 after use of free bag coupon, a jar of honey, lemons, jus roll puff pastry on bogof, curry powder, carribean all spice and some half price blok icecream.

Then spent 5 in 99p store, a mixing bowl, a money tin to start my sealed pot challenge, 7 pack of golden wonder, moam pack and some choccies.

Then i went to my neighbors butchers, neither him or his wife were there, so didnt get a discount, spent 8 on 10 sausages, but they are all meat, dont give out any fat in my george forman and are way bigger than sm ones and great quality and tasty, so i didnt mind, next month will only go in if i see them for a discount, not including 8 of what i spent so 20 to declare.

So i am 15 over and just hope i dont buy anything else, had to rearrange things in the freezer and defrost more stuff to eat, i am eating at my grandmas tomorrow and have a curry and pasta bake cooking as i type, so won't need any food for the next 3 days at the least!
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 10th Dec 11, 2:30 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    meg72 - hope your knees feel better soon
    prepareathome - you are lucky having a farmers market near - we have one but there aren't many non-veg stalls there so it isn't worth me going.

25 spent in Aldi. DD2 was at a sleepover last night and this morning I got a call to say she had been sick so she has obviously got the bug I had yesterday. I had to pick her up and the kid lives right by Aldi so I nipped in to get some stuff. Got enough for a few meals plus bin bags, antibac cleaner, washing up liquid, washing liquid and foil.

I got some Ashfield farm sausages which were only about 69p for 600g so I hope they aren't horrible - my stomach is not better enough to be eating yet so I will have to wait a few days to try them.

Made a loaf in the breadmaker (my new favourite thing) and now have a raisin loaf in there. I need to get bread flour so that hopefully will be my only spend tomorrow.

Still haven't bought any Christmas cards or got the decorations up!!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • LittleMai
    I haven't posted for a few days so here is a catch up:

Thursday - 49p on reduced egg custard tarts, 5 on some Swedish candy. Ikea have stopped selling Swedish candy (apart from Ikea brand candy), so as a colleague's sister was coming over from Sweden I asked if she could bring some of my favourite candy over (Kex and Bilar, if you are wondering!!). Then in the evening was the Institute of Structural Engineers Christmas Dinner, so that was 18.65, I didnt have to go, but I wanted to go and meet some people (networking!).

Friday - NSD

Today (Saturday) - 7.40, on mainly treats, and a bit of veg for dinner. I know I should stop buying treats, but its so depressing in december, I need something to cheer me up. Its the short days that I hate, its already pitch black!!. Also 10 on dog food, but that will be a christmas present for the RSPCA where I used to volunteer.

So far this month I have spent 52.02, which is more than half of my 100 budget, and we're not even half way through the month.

I fear this month will be a case of too much month at the end of the money, rather than too much money at the end of the month.
    Last edited by LittleMai; 10-12-2011 at 5:44 PM.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 10th Dec 11, 6:05 PM
    • 5,082 Posts
    • 46,072 Thanks
    meg72
    meg72 - hope your knees feel better soon
    prepareathome - you are lucky having a farmers market near - we have one but there aren't many non-veg stalls there so it isn't worth me going.

25 spent in Aldi. DD2 was at a sleepover last night and this morning I got a call to say she had been sick so she has obviously got the bug I had yesterday. I had to pick her up and the kid lives right by Aldi so I nipped in to get some stuff. Got enough for a few meals plus bin bags, antibac cleaner, washing up liquid, washing liquid and foil.

I got some Ashfield farm sausages which were only about 69p for 600g so I hope they aren't horrible - my stomach is not better enough to be eating yet so I will have to wait a few days to try them.

Made a loaf in the breadmaker (my new favourite thing) and now have a raisin loaf in there. I need to get bread flour so that hopefully will be my only spend tomorrow.

Still haven't bought any Christmas cards or got the decorations up!!!
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    Thanks Recovering, knees are a bit better, hope your tummy bug is too.

I havent written a card or got any decorations up either.They are in the loft and cant face any ladder yet. Hoping my daughter will have time to do it tommorow or Monday.
    Glad you are enjoying your BM ,I would be lost without mine.
    Slimming World at target
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Around 30 spent in Asda today - budget isn't looking great! If I can manage to keep it to 5ish next weekend then I should make it in under, and I will need to empty the freezer a bit so we can get stuff in for Hogmanay. Only problem is I can't really avoid going to Asda next weekend, since I bought scales today that are absolutely rubbish (they must be faulty - I can't even set them and they're so flimsy, my fault for buying Smartprice I suppose) so will have to go in to return them, hopefully I won't end up spending money!
    February Grocery Challenge - 100.87/180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - 0.60/1.50
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 10th Dec 11, 6:55 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    expensive day here, gifts for the birthday party the twins were going to, then hubby brought our other wee boy to town for buns as he felt left out i told him to buy his a toy in poundland aswell, so he spent 8, then his parents bought us tea and hubby bought milkshakes as a thank you it cost 10 for all of us, so 18 food spends to add
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,556Users online

Martin's Twitter