Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • JayMan666
    • 4th Mar 11, 5:09 PM
    • 4th Mar 11, 5:09 PM
    I have followed Ray Boulger for a number of years and have always found him to be extremely knowledgeable; I would like to say that I am surprised by his findings on how the mortgage companies measure the market....but I'm really not....
  • Errata
    • 4th Mar 11, 5:43 PM
    • 4th Mar 11, 5:43 PM
    I have no idea why prices need to be seasonally adjusted. A house price is what it is, no matter whether it's January or July. So what's the point of it?
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
  • fiftiesfan
    • 4th Mar 11, 8:36 PM
    obfuscation rules
    • 4th Mar 11, 8:36 PM
    ain't it always the way!
  • crocks
    • 5th Mar 11, 12:52 PM
    Conflict of interest?
    • 5th Mar 11, 12:52 PM
    Ive always been dubious of House price indexes published by the major mortgage lenders... After all it is in their best interests to sell mortgages? so are They are always going to try and paint a rosier picture of the market to suit their needs??

The best and most reliable one to work on would be one generated by the Land Registry, Independant and impartial based on all the available data.
    • Gorgeous George
    • By Gorgeous George 5th Mar 11, 6:45 PM
    • 7,797 Posts
    • 8,484 Thanks
    Gorgeous George
    • 5th Mar 11, 6:45 PM
    • 5th Mar 11, 6:45 PM
    I don't see the point of reporting the data in the first place.

GG
  • charles_b
    • 7th Mar 11, 8:03 PM
    • 7th Mar 11, 8:03 PM
    As Mervyn King once said "House prices are a matter of opinion, whereas debt is real"

I agree with this totally. The price of a house is subject to many many factors, and ultimately a price index is really a finger in the air assesment of the state of the market

With transactions at a historic low, the problem you have is that spurious 'outliers' (in statistical terms) skew the honed calculations based on high volume consistent sales figures in a stable housing market

Debt on the other hand is a completely transparent figure of how much money you owe

In any case, a house is worth what someone is prepared to pay
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 8th Mar 11, 7:24 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • 8th Mar 11, 7:24 AM
    • 8th Mar 11, 7:24 AM
    As Mervyn King once said "House prices are a matter of opinion, whereas debt is real"

I agree with this totally. The price of a house is subject to many many factors, and ultimately a price index is really a finger in the air assesment of the state of the market

With transactions at a historic low, the problem you have is that spurious 'outliers' (in statistical terms) skew the honed calculations based on high volume consistent sales figures in a stable housing market

Debt on the other hand is a completely transparent figure of how much money you owe

In any case, a house is worth what someone is prepared to pay
    Originally posted by charles_b
    The bit I've made bold is the bit I query.
    I'm wondering if you mean a finger in the air to test the direction of the wind or something a bit ruder.
    Either meaning seems to make sense in the current market
  • charles_b
    • 8th Mar 11, 8:51 AM
    • 8th Mar 11, 8:51 AM
    Wind direction of course! Anything else would be plain rude.
  • miz.red
    House prices
    I didn't understand a word of all that!
    Can I please have it in very very very plain english, perhaps 2 or 3 sentences!?
  • rickbonar
    I have no idea why prices need to be seasonally adjusted. A house price is what it is, no matter whether it's January or July. So what's the point of it?
    Originally posted by Errata
    It all about banks, building societies, mortgage lenders and estate agents talking up the market.

In the last few years it served to embroider the market and the banking trough fed the banking pigs, now it being used to do the same with dreadful figures and sellers and agents virtually putting any price they fancy on their houses as they arent selling.

The saying of "when money speaks the truth stays silent" springs to mind.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 12th Mar 11, 11:26 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    hybernia
    I'm new to all this as hubby and I own our home, are happy where we are, haven't the money to be a property speculator and not the time or inclination to follow all those sad threads on the house prices / debate the economy board by people with some kind of obsession.

But I did find Mr Boulger's piece interesting, so thankyou to Martin for publicising it on here.

What is clear is that the Halifax is discredited by virtue of its shrinking sample size and a methodology it seems so strangely reluctant to share. But will this now stop MSE from reporting 'House Prices Up, says Halifax' or 'House Prices Down, says Halifax' or, worse, more heated debate about the fantasy figures dreamt up by Halifax?

I don't think so. Halifax produces this stuff to get free publicity and keep its name in the public eye. Obviously where the MSE house prices board is concerned, people there are happy enough to go along with such gimmickry to the point of actually taking it seriously.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,736Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter