Skirts ok for women, shorts not ok for men...

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Because real discrimination is people losing their homes because they cant work due to sexuality, religion, race or gender - not whether they can wear shorts.

Precisely.

Though personally I think management should say something like smart nearly knee length shorts. Some of my lads are turning up in navy cargo type shorts and that's fine with me. If they rocked up in some 1970s style running shorts.....ewwww.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    bugslet wrote: »
    Precisely.

Though personally I think management should say something like smart nearly knee length shorts. Some of my lads are turning up in navy cargo type shorts and that's fine with me. If they rocked up in some 1970s style running shorts.....ewwww.

Be careful what you wish for. One 'dress down' day where I worked they decided to have a sports theme to it. It was bound to end badly. One guy came in wearing lycra shorts. He was sat down when two of the women who sat opposite him came in, but the expressions on their faces when he stood up had the office in hysterics.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 July 2018 at 8:58PM
    Hi all,
    Our company has recently amended its summer dress code; it states that dresses & skirts are ok, but shorts are not. Am wondering what people's feelings are about this in terms of possible sexual discrimination, i.e. the men HAVE to wear trousers whereas the women have a choice. To clarify, this is office based work, with no health & safety factors to consider.
    No, no-one is allowed to wear shorts. Dresses / skirts have to be a 'modest length'.
    Yes, men can wear skirts, dresses or kilts and not fall foul of the dress code.

So talk me through how its gender discrimination?
    • neither men nor women are allowed to wear shorts
    • both women and men can wear skirts
    • both men and women can wear trousers
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If it had been a case that women were told they could wear light, casual clothing and the men told they had to continue wearing suits, that would have been discriminatory.
  • ALEXJONES1989
    ALEXJONES1989 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 July 2018 at 1:04AM
    Post in error
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    bugslet wrote: »

We did have one male member of staff who, before the dress code was amended, wore smart cargo shorts. However, as a direct consequence of a female member of staff wearing very short, sporty-style shorts, the dress code was amended to 'no shorts' (where previously shorts had not been mentioned).

Anyway... Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts on this (even those who appear to have read more into the OP than was actually there!) and apologies for taking my time in coming back to say so.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 7:39PM
    tbh id rather not see men in shorts at work, too much of it will turn my stomach.

Save it for your own time and/or whoever has to put up with it at home.

Im sure you can wear a skirt if you insist though, doubt they would stop you, if anything they would support your new lifestyle.

Give people too many rights and stupid things like this happens.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We did have one male member of staff who, before the dress code was amended, wore smart cargo shorts. However, as a direct consequence of a female member of staff wearing very short, sporty-style shorts, the dress code was amended to 'no shorts' (where previously shorts had not been mentioned).
    You see, IMO this is where a good manager would have spoken to them and suggested that very short, sporty-style shorts were not appropriate office wear, just as very short, skimpy mini-dresses might not be appropriate. No need to amend the dress code for one person not knowing where to draw the line.

I remember in a past life a manager asking a receptionist not to reveal her newly pierced midriff on the reception desk. She asked if it was because she wasn't young and skinny. No, the manager assured her that even if she was young and skinny it would not be appropriate to reveal her midriff on the reception desk.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Nothanks
    Nothanks Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This crops up every summer. File it alongside "women can wear flip flops" in the non-issue stop moaning pile.
    Union official.
    CiPD qualified.

Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
  • tbh id rather not see men in shorts at work, too much of it will turn my stomach.

Save it for your own time and/or whoever has to put up with it at home.

Im sure you can wear a skirt if you insist though, doubt they would stop you, if anything they would support your new lifestyle.

Give people too many rights and stupid things like this happens.

Same applies for women in leggings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport