Start of a new chapter

Comments

• s1n25
    s1n25 Posts: 113 Forumite
    SSDD23 wrote: »
    Can you just take cash so that you can't spend more than you have budgeted for?

Good idea! I NEVER carry cash, always use my card, maybe that's where I'm going wrong? I always panic in case I get stuck somewhere or run out of cash and don't have my card on me. This is probs because I've not budgeted in the past! Need to be better with my money.

This weekend i'll be leaving all cards at home and only taking the cash out that I have budgeted for. I want to start this month good and not fall at the first hurdle, hoping this will give me the motivation to get through the month with limited spending!
    Debt Free Diary..."Start of a new chapter"
    Nov: Unsecured Debt : £2,900.. Bring your lunch to work 1/18..NSD challenge 5/20

• s1n25
    Did the 'big' shop last night for the week. I said to Mr M whilst walking round, how much I was enjoying looking for the cheapest option. Spent a good 10 mins working out how much chicken to get for our planned meals and which was the cheapest value for money. Budgeted £30 for this weeks shop.. came in at £28.57.
    Nov: Unsecured Debt : £2,900.. Bring your lunch to work 1/18..NSD challenge 5/20

• Well done at coming in under budget :)

It's soo easy to overspend just taking your card everywhere, you can kind of ignore the money disappearing whereas you see it going when it's in your purse lol :)
  • s1n25
    Ok. So, I didn't listen to the advice :( :mad:
    I went out on Saturday with the best intentions! Drove to our friends house, no alcohol... until... the group decided we'd go for a few drinks in a local bar before coming back for the BBQ. I was easily persuaded and because the bar was within walking distance I didn’t have to drive which meant I would only have ‘a few drinks’. Couldn’t find a cash point which again meant I had to use my card, spent more money than I would of liked!! £71.78 to be exact. BBQ didn’t end up happening and we ended up eating out plus taxi!!!
    Feel very guilty and annoyed at myself!! I had an extra contingence within my budget but didn’t want to spend that much of it so soon in the month. It’s done now. Aim is to be better at managing money on a night out!

I didn’t end up going out on Sunday which meant I didn’t spend the money I had planned to. (meal was cancelled)

Although the Saturday wasn’t what I had planned I have saved some money since Friday,

I’m planning on going to see my Friends for the weekend (17th) train ticket was going to cost over £60! Luckily, work have asked me to go to the head office for the week the train ticket is already paid for and is only a 30min journey from my friend’s house tickets will be £10 return! Down side of this I will have to pay for expenses whilst I’m away which means using my credit card but will be able to recovery all expenses in September pay. (will add to spread sheet how much to claim back in expenses) Weekend at my friends within budget as well.

I had Monday and Tuesday off work, spent clearing out all the crap that we’ve been hording! I’ve taken the majority of it to the charity shop but I did come across some items which I’ve managed to sell.

Found some gold sovereigns that were left in the attic from previous owner- sold for £120 (I think I acted in hast with these and could of sold them both for more money but just wanted to get rid)
    Old hair straighteners - £20 (sending to an online site that buys old GHDs)
    X2 old iPhone - £50

We spent £20 on lunch on Tuesday, treated ourselves, then put £100 away for Xmas. Once I receive the £70 this will be going in to Xmas pot as well.

Plan for this week….

• Family relation is 80 this week, £20 in the card for him. We’re going out tonight for a birthday meal but he insists on paying for this.
    • Food shop done £23.83 within £30 budget
    • We have enough food for lunch & teas till Saturday. We plan on staying in all weekend! No plans at all which means… no money being spent!! And I intend to stick to it this week!!!!

• Hi s1n25,

Thought I'd pop in and say hello :wave:

You're doing really well with your debt busting.

Pmo2
    xx
  • s1n25
    Hi s1n25,

Thought I'd pop in and say hello :wave:

You're doing really well with your debt busting.

Pmo2
    xx

Thank you pmo2! Really cheered me up. Having one of those weeks where nothing seems to be going right, getting frustrated with job, house, money! Everything. Thank you for the support :o xx

• s1n25 wrote: »
    Having one of those weeks where nothing seems to be going right, getting frustrated with job, house, money! Everything.

I've had lots of those, you have my sympathies.....onwards and upwards. Have a lovely day :D x
  • s1n25
    Morning All!! Hope everyone had a fab weekend!

Last week was a difficult week for me, not so much money wise, just everything else! Wasn't in the best of places, workload got on top of me, house work was pretty much the same, and I was just not in a very good mood.

Today is another day, and feeling a lot more optimistic about the week ahead.

I didn't spend too much money last week, all budgeted for apart from the £20 that was a for a relatives birthday (I forgot about). Weekend was much better than the previous week, apart from now that I’m managing my finances a lot better I’m noticing I’m spending a lot of money on food!! (it’s within budget but the odd meal here and there really does stack up and could be money saved and paid of my debts quicker) I think for Sept I’m going to have this as one of my objectives, spend less on eating out/food.

Friday night I was so drained from the week it was pizza (already had in the freezer) and early night. No money spent. Saturday was a similar situation, not sure what the weather was like where you are but it’s been terrible up north! Saturday was spent doing house work and watching Netflix (perfect, apart from the housework!) only money spent was some treats for Saturday night, taken out the food budget.

Sunday my sister was up from London we were going to a gig but I was driving (saving money on taxi’s) we ended up having lunch out and catching up. Only £25 spent and this came out the food budget. 3 weeks left of the month I need to be careful with what I’m spending on food now, cannot go over what budget I have left.

This week I’m away with work, wasn’t planned at the start of the month so no budget. I’ll be using my credit card all week but able to claim back what I spend on food in expenses. Downside the expenses won’t be received until Sept pay. No big shop done and no petrol needed this week. Breakfast will be at the hotel, Lunch I have already bought (soup) and tea will be paid from credit card and claimed back.

Nothing planned then till the weekend! Catch up with my Uni friends which I’m really looking forward to! It’s been too long.

Enjoy your week guys :heart2:

• s1n25
    Update:

Food budget: £150/£99.70 spent
    Petrol budget: £100/£30 spent

Total debt outstanding for myself - £4,600

NSD challenge: 8/15
    Bring lunch to work: 6/18

Saving money:

Xmas: £100
    Swag bucks: 226
    Selling items: £0

I’ve recently downloaded the Swag bucks app, still learning how it all works. Frustrating at times when you get so far in to a survey and get told you aren’t eligible! My plan is to earn as many points between now and Dec 1st and use what every points I have to buy a gift card that I can use for Xmas presents/Xmas food.
    Anyone have any help or advice on Swag bucks? Or any other similar sites? I’ll be spending some time this week having a read through some of the thread on MSE.

• s1n25
    Getting close to the end of the month and my budget is REALLY tight. I’ve spent all money I budgeted on food (need to increase this for next month as didn’t budget enough) increasing from £150 to £200.

Start to this week I have not been prepared at all. Got back late Sunday night after travelling with work all week then meeting friends for the weekend.
    Not had time to make lunch for work which has resulted in me having to buy sandwiches (expense I didn’t need) I’ve been working really late, not had the chance to do a full shop which has meant I’ve been using my local co-op to buy tea each night. The prices are so much more expensive!! I’ll have chance to go shopping on Friday which will prep for next week.

Strict budget now till pay day next Friday. Really hoped I wouldn’t be feeling like this at the end of the month but due to a few unexpected expenses (my own fault, eating out, nights out etc) I’ve spent more than I would of liked to.

I do still feel positive about this month, this is the first month in a long time where I feel I have been in control of my finances. I’ve known exactly what has gone in and what has gone out. Even if those expenses were impulsive at times... must learn to stop this!

The next couple of month leading up to Xmas are looking busy I really need to stay strong and not be tempted to over spend or agree to as many invites! Unless they’re free!!!

Weekend budget:
    Friday - Family meal. No money needed
    Saturday – Wedding night doo. Driving as can’t afford to drink (this is not an option, I will not be caving like last time!!)
    Sunday/Monday – No plans. May go out for a walk or something that doesn’t involve money.

10 days till pay day.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure