PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Address issue

Options
I recently moved into a recently converted flat in an area with both block of flats and houses.
The problem I am having is that the delivery guys often get confused with my address and either deliver to the wrong address or simply give up and leave.

To be more specific, the original address was number 9, XXXX Rise. The current address, also registered with Royal Mail, is Flat 2, 9 XXXX (it's a first floor flat, the ground floor is Flat 1, 9 XXXX).

Couriers get confused when they try to locate Flat 2 within the blocks of flats, which doesn't exist, or sometimes misread the address as "Flat 29".

Is there any way of making it clearer? I though about switching the first 2 lines, like: 9 XXXX Rise, Flat 2, but I don't know if that makes even more complicated.

As far as I know the previous owners originally used the address as Flat A and Flat B, but then they changed it to Flat 1 and 2 upon checking with Royal Mail.

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried contacting Royal mail to fix this?

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/update-your-address
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What do you mean by Flat 2 doesn't exist? Is your flat called something else?

I have a similar issue with couriers in that I live at 21 Pigeon Street but within 21 there are 3 separate properties. Royal Mail refers to all 3 properties as 21. SAA have our addresses as flat position, 21 Pigeon Street. Some systems have the addresses as Flat A, Flat B and Flat C Pigeon Street which gets very confusing because in total separate building there are 21A, 21B and 21C Pigeon Street. Then to make things more confusing for couriers there is also a North Pigeon Street and an East Pigeon Street also with number 21s.
  • arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    Have you tried contacting Royal mail to fix this?

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/update-your-address
    As I said, Royal Mail was contacted by the previous owners and they agreed to use Flat 1 and Flat 2 in the address instead of Flat A and Flat B. So if I called Royal Mail I wouldn't actually know what to ask them as they have already given their opinion.
    I would rather come up with a solution myself, if that's possible, and only then contact Royal Mail and ask them to change the address on their registry.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »

I have a similar issue with couriers in that I live at 21 Pigeon Street but within 21 there are 3 separate properties. Royal Mail refers to all 3 properties as 21. SAA have our addresses as flat position, 21 Pigeon Street. Some systems have the addresses as Flat A, Flat B and Flat C Pigeon Street which gets very confusing because in total separate building there are 21A, 21B and 21C Pigeon Street. Then to make things more confusing for couriers there is also a North Pigeon Street and an East Pigeon Street also with number 21s.

Not to be confused with Pigeon Palace under the solar panels.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We have just started having similar issues! We live in flat 2 of number 3, this being the first property in the road. However, a new build has just been completed between us and the main road, and that has been designated no 2.

We used to get the occasional person looking for 'number 2' but that has increased hugely over the past week or so - this morning alone we have had 2 workmen at our door and 1 letter, all wanting the new house.

We have met the new owners and they seem very nice, so I really don't mind helping them out - especially as I hope things will settle down in time. However, I am going to look out for our postie and explain the situation, otherwise he will continue delivering their mail to us!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • arciere
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    No, my flat is called Flat 2, the problem is that it's not a proper flat, it's a house. In this area there is a mix of houses and flats, but the flats follow the same numbering pattern as the houses (like, there is no Flat 11 and House no.11, number 11 is either a Flat or a House).
    When some couriers read the address, they go to the blocks of flats, expecting to find a Flat 2, which is not there. They don't bother looking for house no.9.

I don't fully blame them, I do understand where the confusion comes from, but some of them should really take the trouble to at least read the second line of the address.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Not to be confused with Pigeon Palace under the solar panels.

Pigeon Palace? This part of the world is a Scurry Stronghold. :D
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    arciere wrote: »
    No, my flat is called Flat 2, the problem is that it's not a proper flat, it's a house. In this area there is a mix of houses and flats, but the flats follow the same numbering pattern as the houses (like, there is no Flat 11 and House no.11, number 11 is either a Flat or a House).
    When some couriers read the address, they go to the blocks of flats, expecting to find a Flat 2, which is not there. They don't bother looking for house no.9.

I don't fully blame them, I do understand where the confusion comes from, but some of them should really take the trouble to at least read the second line of the address.

I see what you mean....I think. Do you share the same letterbox and entrance with Flat 1?
  • arciere
    Options
    hb2 wrote: »
    However, I am going to look out for our postie and explain the situation, otherwise he will continue delivering their mail to us!
    And that's the thing, I rarely have problems with mail, Royal Mail seems to have understood the situation quite well (occasionally they delivery to Flat 1, 9 but that's ok). The main issue is when I have deliveries from Amazon for example. Yesterday evening I was stalking (:D) the delivery guy on the map and I saw him/her wandering around the blocks. 2 minutes later, got a notification saying that they were unable to deliver due to address issues. My lemon tree now needs to wait another day for its food :T:T:T

Food deliveries like Just Eat follow on the list.
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Add a block or flat name? "Cosy Nook"? "Bide-a-wee" or something from Tolkien ( "Mirkwood") or Game of Thrones ("Volantis") if you're of a more fantastical turn of mind?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure