Sorting Orange/lowell Debt.

Hello All.

A little bit of background.

I took out a phone contract whilst at uni in 2012 with orange. In the summer of 2013 I moved away from the UK for the summer and tried to pay my bill from another bank card as I closed the bank account I started the contract from. I contacted orange and tried to pay the bill but they refused and even put the phone down on me once.

I should have been cooler at this point but because i was not able to pay my bill i left it until i returned to the UK in September 2013. Not a good idea.

I tried again to pay my bill by going in store in September 2013, but this time they couldn't even find my account on their system. Apparently I didn't exist?

I'm not try to bat this debt away. I was young and foolish and I should have paid more attention.

Anyways. I didn't receive any bills through my door until this year ( 5 years later) when i bought a new phone through carphone warehouse.

Now lowell are sending letters saying I owe £380 and are offering a 40% discount, which seems reasonable.

I've now graduated uni and i am employed full time, I'm thinking of buying a house in the next 12-16 months and I'd like to have this debt settled sooner rather than later. (t might have damaged my credit score too much to get a mortgage?:mad:)

What is the best way to pay this debt off? Do i simply call them and pay over the phone or should i get some written evidence that I have paid the debt off?

I've seen some horror stories online of people paying their debts and lowell still chasing them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Firstly you don't have a credit "score" its a fictional number, if you are happy with the 40% discount offer then do it all in writing making them confirm its a "full and final settlement"
    Then when the time comes the effect of this debt will be wearing off.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    You can pay Lowell through there website, or by online banking, they offer a number of ways to pay your account, even in instalments with the 40% discount applied.

Despite what you might read, they are one of the more compliant debt purchase companies.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • murraynt
    murraynt Posts: 20 Forumite
    venison wrote: »
    Firstly you don't have a credit "score" its a fictional number, if you are happy with the 40% discount offer then do it all in writing making them confirm its a "full and final settlement"
    Then when the time comes the effect of this debt will be wearing off.
    sourcrates wrote: »
    You can pay Lowell through there website, or by online banking, they offer a number of ways to pay your account, even in instalments with the 40% discount applied.

Despite what you might read, they are one of the more compliant debt purchase companies.

Thank you for your replies.

It's good to hear that they are one of the more reputable companies.

Venison, you said "Then when the time comes the effect of this debt will be wearing off." Could you explain this a little more to me? is there a certain amount of time after I pay my debt that it will show?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    The default will remain on your credit report for six years from the date of default.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • murraynt
    The default will remain on your credit report for six years from the date of default.

Thank you Willing2learn.

I have register with Lowell online. When i look at what i have left to pay I am given two options. Options 1 is a discounted balance option 2 is the full balance.

The website says if i use the discounted balance it will show up on my credit balance as "partially satisfied" instead of "Fully Satisfied"
    Note: If this account is on your credit file and you opt to pay the 'Discounted Balance' your credit file will be updated to show as 'Partially Satisfied' once your payment plan is successfully completed. If you choose to pay the Full Balance your credit file will be updated to show as 'Satisfied'. It may take up to 50 days for your credit file to be updated.

Should I go with the full balance in that case?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Whether partially or fully satisfied - the difference is probably marginal. The default itself is the bit on the credit report that really damages your credit score when assessed by potential lenders.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • murraynt
    Whether partially or fully satisfied - the difference is probably marginal. The default itself is the bit on the credit report that really damages your credit score when assessed by potential lenders.

Ok. Thank you for your help. I will pay it off tonight. :T
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Murray

Have you checked your credit file to see if this debt is recorded, and if so what it is showing? There are 3 credit reference agencies and they can hold different information so it's worth checking all of them. You can request a free statutory report, or use these associated websites to also access it for free:

www.noddle.com.uk
    www.clearscore.com
    www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub

As mentioned above, the debt will be removed from your credit file 6 years after the date of the default (assuming one has been registered). That's regardless of whether you fully or partially settle the debt.

It's very important to have details of the full & final settlement confirmed in writing before making a payment. That way if you are ever pursued again in the future you have evidence that they agreed they would not pursue you for the remaining balance of the debt. You can find more information on this here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/fullandfinalsettlementoffers/lumpsumoffers.aspx.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • murraynt
    Thanks for your reply Susie.

I've tried to access my credit file with experian and clearscore but neither sites could find me. I've re registered on the electoral role so I will try again next week.

Thanks for your advice. Would an email chain suffice or should it be a posted letter?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi again Murray

Written confirmation for the full & final settlement is ok by email or letter. However make sure it is clear who the email is from and always keep a copy for your records, should you be pursued in the future. I hope it all goes well.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure