Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16

Options

Comments

• Green_Karen
    Green_Karen Posts: 367 Forumite
    Options
    12/28 April
    5/5 WDC

Can I go for 2 nights for the weekend challenge please Shaggy. Am planning not to drink now before 17th April at the earliest, am doing the 30 day challenge again.

But then end of the month is my birthday so may have a little drinkie or two then :j
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello
    7/18 today, I've had a couple of boozy nights and am feeling it today!
    I don't have any plans for the weekend so I'm hoping to be AF... we shall see however. I'm having my hair cut tomorrow and they offer a glass of wine in the salon, it feels like a proper treat!!
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 April 2019 at 4:05PM
    Options
    It happens, ArsenalBarnie. At least you won something even if you indulged so it wasn't a waste of a night. As it seems to be a regular thing the way forward will probably be to work up a plan you can stick to, stage by stage, like the Apollo Missions.

I didn't know this when I was watching the first man walk on the moon as a child on very scratchy TV images, but each of the Appollo rockets did one thing to progress the moon landings. Appollo 8, for instance, orbited the moon and was the first manned space flight that did so, and Appollo 9's "major purposes were to qualify the LM [lunar module] for lunar orbit operations and to show that the CSM [command and service module] could separate and move well apart, before rendezvousing and docking again, as they would have to do on the lunar landing missions to come."

Nasa didn't just decide to land a man on the moon and work from being nowhere in the space race to Neil Armstrong's 'One small step for man, a giant leap for mankind.'

So I'd suggest the same step-by-step approach, where you carefully think through each stage of the night that drank when you didn't intend to. Was your intention not to drink undermined before you left the house, because you hadn't worked out what you were going to say to your friends, or even your partner, about not wanting to drink that night? Had you phoned the bar to find out if they stocked the drink you wanted? Etc etc.

Once you know you can rely on your partner to support your pub evenings with an AF choice, that'll make dealing with your friends much easier. If there's a bottle on the table when you arrive, all the more for them!

And once you know what AF drinks the pub stocks that you actually like, that'll dispense with the 'What shall I have?' conundrum. Etc etc

I don't know what your stages would be, but as an ex-drinker who struggled with this issue for at least a year I now don't leave these big choices to chance. I plan them. That way I don't get thrown when there isn't a choice. Occasionally I go to an event and the only choices really are red wine, white wine and longlife acidic juice that they tell me is orange juice. If you have ever eaten an orange and then drank that stuff you'll be aware that all it actually tastes of is metal. It's undrinkable if your taste buds are functioning, and because I neither smoke nor drink any more, mine are. I just go thirsty and leave early and OH knows that. He gets a bit twitchy if he sees the dreaded longlife carton on a drinks table and asks if there's anything else because he'll want to stay longer and therefore wants me to be able to enjoy myself. I like the fact that I have a very supportive partner; it makes a lot of difference.

I'm disappointed to say that after two days at 67.7 kgs, today I am 68.2 kgs again. Grr. I have eaten chocolate I'm so disappointed. New dog is settling in nicely but still wants to chase the cats. We've probably been walking her a bit too much; she's got wasted muscles in her back legs according to the vet, so today's walks are minimal to give her a rest. She's fast asleep right now and enjoying a bit of pottering between naps so that's a mile I won't be walking today.

12/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    10/26 AFDs today
  • Season_of_Mist
    Options
    Calling it early for tonight so I’m sitting at 11/27 thank you.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ArsenalBarnie 4/4dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Glenda 5/5dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    GreenKaren 5/5dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    LoveASale 4/5dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Maggie 4/4dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Maman 4/4dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Shaggy 5/5dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    WBF 4/4dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gifdancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    edited 14 April 2019 at 10:05AM
    Options
    Cathy /2

Green Karen /2
    Shaggy 1/24funnies_com_animated_emoticons_easter_14.gif
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    edited 14 April 2019 at 10:06AM
    Options
    April 2019

flowerz.gif = 7 Days

e5r5fp.jpg= 14 Days

4funnies_com_animated_emoticons_easter_15.gif= 21 Days

angel.gif= 28 Days

hippie.gif= 31 Days

dancing-hatching-chicken-smiley-emoticon.gif= Target Reached
    4funnies_com_animated_emoticons_easter_14.gif= Target Beaten

AnnieG 7/18flowerz.gif
    Arkers 7/10flowerz.gif

ArsenalBarnie 6/16
    Barney 10/26flowerz.gif

BestLifeNow /TF
    CathyBird 11/21flowerz.gif

CuppaTea 5/17
    Glenda 10/25flowerz.gif
    GreenKaren 12/28flowerz.gif
    Honey Bear 12/30flowerz.gif
    LoveASale 8/18flowerz.gif
    MaggieM 8/15flowerz.gif
    Maman 8/10flowerz.gif

PollyAnna 3/15
    Pricey 9/23flowerz.gif
    Rosy 10/28flowerz.gif
    Season of Mist 11/27flowerz.gif
    Shaggydoo 11/21flowerz.gif
    Sukeyboo 7/12flowerz.gif
    WannaBeeFree 8/19flowerz.gif

Please let me know if I've made a mistake!

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all, 12/21 and 1/2 for me today thanks :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • arsenalbarnie
    Options
    Thank you Honey bear your advice has really given me food for thought. I am such a pushover with everything. I need to think of myself and plan, you’re right. My friend at the quiz who shares the wine would think nothing of saying she wasn’t drinking. She has the will of iron when she is on the wagon but I seem to not want to be the party pooper. I’m not being one at all as I am usually the jolliest of all of us drunk or sober. And I should not think not drinking as being a party pooper, as I really admire people who don’t drink. I am going to have to say health reasons for cutting down. She is very overweight and used to be my slimming buddy at sl. club but we gave up. I have since gone back and intend to go forever I think, as it’s such a lovely group but I try not to mention it as I think she gets a bit p*eed off with her weight but won’t do anything about it. So good health it is. Baby steps and forward planning. OH is a bad influence as well. We went to nearby city to the big Swedish store last night. On the way home he asked if we had any wine and I cracked. Bit annoying as it was 10 o’clock and could easily have gone without by then :mad: Back onto healthy lifestyle today.

On another note my poor black lab has ocd! He keeps licking his leg when we aren’t there and now has a bald patch on it. We have a spray to use that tastes vile. He keeps hiding from us when he sees the bottle. I think I should spray some in my wine glass! My DS2 was laughing as me, him and DS4 have ocd and anxiety too. They say dogs are like their owners :)
    Total weight lost 6.5/73lbs starting yet again. Afds August 10/15. /8 Sept.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure