Virgin wifi paying for 150, only equipped to receive 100

Hi, just need some clarity and some idea of what to do next. We have been with virgin media for 14 years and 4 yrs ago we moved onto the 150 package which Is supposed to provide you with 150 speed. Now my problem is that when we changed to the 150 package we were given a new hub and we thought cool we are upgrading from the dark ages. However 4 yrs later when we were unable to use the telephone or the Internet we were told that the hub was not designed to accept speeds of 150 only 100. I have since rang them and asked for the money back for the extra 50 per month we were never being provided with but were paying for. After ringing countless times and being ignored, transferred and hung up on, being told we will get a callback. we have finally received a letter called a deadlock letter, stating that we had been offered resolution but we haven't been and telling us to go to CISAS. Has anybody had any experience with Virgin or CISAS and is it worth continuing with the complaint. I'm tired of listening to miserable excuses and not sure I have the fight left to deal with this. I have heart failure and my time and energy is precious to me.

Comments

• Bardy123 wrote: »
    Hi, just need some clarity and some idea of what to do next. We have been with virgin media for 14 years and 4 yrs ago we moved onto the 150 package which Is supposed to provide you with 150 speed. Now my problem is that when we changed to the 150 package we were given a new hub and we thought cool we are upgrading from the dark ages. However 4 yrs later when we were unable to use the telephone or the Internet we were told that the hub was not designed to accept speeds of 150 only 100. I have since rang them and asked for the money back for the extra 50 per month we were never being provided with but were paying for. After ringing countless times and being ignored, transferred and hung up on, being told we will get a callback. we have finally received a letter called a deadlock letter, stating that we had been offered resolution but we haven't been and telling us to go to CISAS. Has anybody had any experience with Virgin or CISAS and is it worth continuing with the complaint. I'm tired of listening to miserable excuses and not sure I have the fight left to deal with this. I have heart failure and my time and energy is precious to me.

But what speeds were you actually getting?
  • Between 20 and 70 depending on where we are in the house. Apparently if you are near the hub you don't get good speeds.
  • Bardy123 wrote: »
    Between 20 and 70 depending on where we are in the house. Apparently if you are near the hub you don't get good speeds.

That's WiFI and is never guaranteed, only the speed from a wired connection to the router is of use.
  • I can't remember but virgin guarantee that you will get 75% of the speed you are paying for. Even that guarantee doesn't hold up for paying for 150 and getting 80 tops.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bardy123 wrote: »

This is an issue you should have brought up 4 years ago when you did some speed tests and realised you were not getting the speed you are paying for.
    If you only use Wi-Fi and have never done a hard wired speed test you have no proof you never received the 150 speed.
  • In not disputing what speed they have provided, I am disputing the equipment they supplied was not able to receive 150 only 100.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    What was that equipment model as someone can check the actual capabilities .
  • The hub we were supplied with was confirmed by virgin as being the models that is used for up to 100. They have now given us a newer model but for 4 years because of the model they provided us with wouldn't accept higher than 100, there is no possible way we have been receiving even 75% of the 150 that we were paying for. Virgin have actually admitted this.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Understood its just the wifi bit in the thread that is confusing .
  • Do you know of there is a way that Martin Lewis can investigate these things on our behalf. Is there something on the website I can go onto to ask?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure