Why is my gas use so high?

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 December 2019 at 3:24PM
    mitbrille wrote: »
    you had 25m3 of usage during 4 days. That adds up to 89p (usage) + £1.42 (day rate)
    That's nowhere near to £11.
    Wrong ! If you use this site it comes to £9.91 usage plus standing charges of £1.42 which gives a total of £11.33.

Update: Beaten to it by mac.d Telepathy at work again...
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Single glazing is your problem. However, having the boiler on low is probably a bad idea as it's burning gas but not really heating radiators enough to have any effect. It's probably running on low 24/7. Run it at it's highest temperature, get some heat in the radiators and then the thermostat will actually get to the point of switching the boiler off. It'll then run for short bursts at full heat output to maintain the temperature.
  • sorry, I was wrong about how the cost of usage calculated above.

It seems you have a condensing boiler. Vokera Easi-Heat Plus 29C: 89.0% Efficient
    That's not too bad.

Tell us how the boiler is set up. You could be right, the old thermostat on your wall is not working anymore. You can set up central heating on the boiler.
  • LostCdn
    LostCdn Posts: 43 Forumite
    How do I know if it's Central heating or the thermostat isn't working?
    I've got tht
  • LostCdn
    I've got those plastic insulator things on all my windows and thick curtains up....
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    To test the thermostat - gently turn it right up and then down will hear a click.

It's an easy job to replace it - find the model number/make and then have a look on You Tube (make sure your switch the electrics off at the main switchboard)

The boiler may well have two temp dials on it - one for radiators, one for hot water - if it has one select the E setting.

Do you have a programmer - that enables you to set times for days of the week.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • LostCdn
    So my thermostat is a very ancient one. Honeywell just a wee dial. No screen at all.

The boiler has one dial for hot water and one for the radiators....
    I will put the dial all the way up and put the heaters on high for an hour and see if that fixes the thermostat if I've understood correctly?
  • LostCdn
    This won't let me.reply directly - sorry! Maybe I'm daft.

Re: bulb - it was the third cheapest option and seemed to have by far the highest customer ratings. Didn't get the referral from anyone but have since heard of people I know using it with decent feedback. Unlike SSE :mad:

As for the thermostat - it's such an old model there doesn't even seem to be a model anywhere!!
    If I turn it up then back down and hear a click - does that mean it works? I don't think I can submit a pic or link here to show you but it's literally just a dial....
  • LostCdn
    Update! I took my metre index this morning and turned the boiler off! Then looked at the metre index now, with the boiler still off and it's gone up by 1 unit!
  • Hi

For you, as a consumer, billing is largely irrelevant for prepayment meters. It's how much you're topping up and what the meter is telling you i.e. what credit you have left on the gas meter.

If it's not an issue with the boiler being on all the time - surely the rads would be hot all the time if the boiler was constantly running or you've got very hot water?

Then it could be the actual debt recovery rate left on the meter from a previous occupier. The utility company should send an initialisation flow to reset any debt collection which is transferred when you put your key meter in to the meter after topping up. Also, you should be able to tell what the DRR rate is set to on the meter by scrolling through the meter options - pressing the button next to the display, If in any doubt contact your supplier and ask them to talk you through it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure