Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 January 2017 at 4:46PM
    When did you start the switch Raxiel? Most suppliers have signed up to Faster Switching (takes about two and half weeks) but there are exceptions. If not signed up, it could be a couple of weeks before they make contact to apply for the account. Depends on the supplier.

Provided they apply for the account within the Price Protection window (as above, open 49 calendar days before the tariff end date until 20 working days after), you'll be okay.

Suppliers using Faster Switching usually apply for accounts very quickly after a customer agrees to move.

Might be worth checking Raxiel if only for peace of mind.

Malc

Thanks Malc
    It's Iresa, and they aren't signed up for faster switching. I signed up on the 9th and my fix ended on the 21st. The cooling off period ended over the weekend so they only started things on monday. The switch should be completed by the 8th/9th of feb and price protection ends on the 10th.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    razord wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I thought that to get that 20 day extension, the supplier had to make contact with E.ON before the last day of the previous tariff?

Hello razord and, to clarify, it's a bit longer than the tariff end date.

The Price Protection window is open 49 calendar days before a fixed tariff ends until 20 working days after. Provided the new supplier contacts us during this period to request the account, we'll make sure prices are protected and any exit fees waived up until the supply end date.

Should the new supplier fail to request the account whilst the window is open, our standard prices will apply from the tariff end date.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer razord. Let me know if still unsure as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Raxiel wrote: »
    Thanks Malc
    It's Iresa, and they aren't signed up for faster switching. I signed up on the 9th and my fix ended on the 21st. The cooling off period ended over the weekend so they only started things on monday. The switch should be completed by the 8th/9th of feb and price protection ends on the 10th.

Ah! I see Raxiel. With Faster Switching, registration runs parallel with the 14 day cooling off period plus an extra 3 working days to finish things off. Previously, registration didn't start until the cooling off period had ended and I think that's what Iresa do. Guessing though.

Hopefully, you'll be alright and they'll be in touch in time to make sure you're still inside the window.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Raxiel
    Thanks, one other thing you could clarify.
    When I called E.ON to enquire about tariffs earlier in the year the operative asked if I wanted a quote based on a 'new' meter reading, because even though I have a smart meter and have consented to frequent readings, apparently E.ON only pull the data once a month? (She put me on hold for a couple of minutes and triggered an upload there and then)

Now, I didn't get a reading on the 21st but presumably the meter knows what the readings were for that day.

In the event there's a hitch and the switch doesn't go through on time and I end up paying for a period on energy plan, will E.ON take any more smart readings before then to allow an accurate figure for the tariff change? Or do you disconnect that part once informed of the switch and just wait for closing readings from the new supplier?
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
    Thanks, one other thing you could clarify.
    When I called E.ON to enquire about tariffs earlier in the year the operative asked if I wanted a quote based on a 'new' meter reading, because even though I have a smart meter and have consented to frequent readings, apparently E.ON only pull the data once a month? (She put me on hold for a couple of minutes and triggered an upload there and then)

Now, I didn't get a reading on the 21st but presumably the meter knows what the readings were for that day.

In the event there's a hitch and the switch doesn't go through on time and I end up paying for a period on energy plan, will E.ON take any more smart readings before then to allow an accurate figure for the tariff change? Or do you disconnect that part once informed of the switch and just wait for closing readings from the new supplier?

It's the new supplier that drives the switch Raxiel. They'll send us the meter readings they're going to use to start their account. We'll use the same readings to close our account and issue a final bill. This is to make sure the same energy isn't charged twice.

The readings also go through a third party who checks they're in line with previous readings for the property. Sometimes a change is made and both suppliers need to use the same reading.

Even where we know of readings for the time of the switch, we can't use them if different from those from the new supplier/third party. They can be challenged, though, through an industry wide process known as an Agreed Reads Dispute (ARD). This is where start/end reads are re-agreed and approved by the third party. The difference has to be above set thresholds of 250 units for electricity and 45/125 units for a 4 dial imperial/5 dial metric gas meter. If not, the readings first advised by the new supplier stand.

Hope this explains Raxiel but please let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
  • Raxiel
    It's the new supplier that drives the switch Raxiel. They'll send us the meter readings they're going to use to start their account. We'll use the same readings to close our account and issue a final bill. This is to make sure the same energy isn't charged twice.

The readings also go through a third party who checks they're in line with previous readings for the property. Sometimes a change is made and both suppliers need to use the same reading.

Even where we know of readings for the time of the switch, we can't use them if different from those from the new supplier/third party. They can be challenged, though, through an industry wide process known as an Agreed Reads Dispute (ARD). This is where start/end reads are re-agreed and approved by the third party. The difference has to be above set thresholds of 250 units for electricity and 45/125 units for a 4 dial imperial/5 dial metric gas meter. If not, the readings first advised by the new supplier stand.

Hope this explains Raxiel but please let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc

Thanks,
    What I'm getting at though, is interim readings while I'm still E.ON's customer.

If the switch goes through within the 20 days it won't make any difference since it will all be on the same tariff. If there's a delay and I miss out on the price protection (all hypothetical hopefully) the final bill will presumably have a billing line for the old tariff, and a line for the new tariff within the billing period, and a consumption figure at which the rate changes. And then a final closing reading.

Will that figure be estimated or an actual reading from the smart meter?

If I phoned E.ON right now, and asked them to prompt an upload from the smart meter, presumably they would have an accurate reading for the 21st (backdated, because smart), but if I left things, by the time the final bill is generated you (I assume) no longer have access to any data stored on the meter and would have to estimate?

Due to some efficiency efforts and some changes around the house I'm using less electric than this period last year so if the third party revises them up and E.ON bills accurately I could end up paying more for the period I was on Energy plan.

Of course, all this depends on the switch being delayed and even then would probably only amount to a few quid, but it got me curious.
  • Mofette
    Mofette Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Chalk me up as another Eon leaver, because the increase would be £350 and I'm not even slightly swayed by an Argos voucher. It's really disappointing as I've had some awesome service from the people in the call centre, even when you couldn't handle 2 houses at once with meter readings.

I've moved to CoOp as of tomorrow!
    2 Credit Cards: PAYDBX 2018 - #131 £1566.37 / £8594.48 18.2%
    Thanks,
    What I'm getting at though, is interim readings while I'm still E.ON's customer.

If the switch goes through within the 20 days it won't make any difference since it will all be on the same tariff. If there's a delay and I miss out on the price protection (all hypothetical hopefully) the final bill will presumably have a billing line for the old tariff, and a line for the new tariff within the billing period, and a consumption figure at which the rate changes. And then a final closing reading.

Will that figure be estimated or an actual reading from the smart meter?

If I phoned E.ON right now, and asked them to prompt an upload from the smart meter, presumably they would have an accurate reading for the 21st (backdated, because smart), but if I left things, by the time the final bill is generated you (I assume) no longer have access to any data stored on the meter and would have to estimate?

Due to some efficiency efforts and some changes around the house I'm using less electric than this period last year so if the third party revises them up and E.ON bills accurately I could end up paying more for the period I was on Energy plan.

Of course, all this depends on the switch being delayed and even then would probably only amount to a few quid, but it got me curious.

Hello Raxiel and think I can see where you're coming from.

As our advisor explained, we generally take readings from Smart Meters monthly but we can request them at any time. We can also look back to see what they were at a particular time. This is where we have control of the meter. We lose this control when the supply switches. The loss starts when the new supplier applies to take over. At this point, the account is locked down and changes can't be made by either the customer or our advisors. This includes being able to download readings from Smart Meters.

If your account isn't applied for during the Price Protection window, you'll go on to our standard prices from the final day of the fixed deal until the supply end date. Assuming no bill is raised on the last day of the fixed tariff, readings for this time will more than likely be estimated as, at this point, I suspect we'll have lost control of the meter.

This isn't to say the billing can't be looked at again once the switch is done and dusted.

Hope this is a bit clearer Raxiel. Let me know if I've missed the point and I'll have another go.

Malc
    Mofette wrote: »
    Chalk me up as another Eon leaver, because the increase would be £350 and I'm not even slightly swayed by an Argos voucher. It's really disappointing as I've had some awesome service from the people in the call centre, even when you couldn't handle 2 houses at once with meter readings.

I've moved to CoOp as of tomorrow!

Hello Mofette and welcome to the Forums.

Sorry to lose you and that I don't have a suitable alternative to offer. Glad our Call Centre looked after you though.

Malc
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Forthcoming, Site closed for maintenance :-

Our website will be down for maintenance from 11pm on 1 February until 8am on 2 February. Account login won’t be available, but our live chat and phone lines will be open from 8am. Thanks for your patience.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family