2019 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• Hello Everyone.

Just done my November count up......a bit swings and roundabouts.

Had the boiler serviced and stocked up on smokeless fuel but both were budgeted for and hopefully I've done enough to get through the winter. Just need to organise a chimney sweep.

Food spend much better this month but I think I can still make further cutbacks without too much effort. I did have an unexpected car repair but fortunately it was only minor £74.

So on the whole not a bad month. Treated myself to a couple of knitted sweater dresses but they didn't break the bank.

I'm not going to penny pinch in December although I won't go mad either and then in the new year I want to look at earning a bit extra as well as living more frugally.

I'm looking forward to the challenge.
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Morning folks, well done Olaney on paying off another credit card. I remember how good it used to feel once another one bit the dust!!

I had a lovely frugal weekend this weekend with two lovely walks in the cold, frosty weather. I made a large batch of Lentil Soup and some HM bread for dinner on Saturday and Sunday evenings which went down well. I also washed a load of towels that were dried on the clothes horse and got some Christmas gifts wrapped and some cards sorted out.

I have started reading my library book which is Margaret Atwood's 'The Testaments' and so far I am enjoying it. I have another couple of books on order from the library which should hopefully be here soon.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone
    This month I am trying to make plans for the next year and Im putting ideas down in a notebook. There wont be many changes, I think its more a case of doing what I believe in and not get side tracked, but I have got into the habit of buying clothes from 'proper' shops, instead of looking in the cs or making them. (I have a sewing machine but am still a relative newcomer to dressmaking - well I used to make clothes but haven't for many many years!) I have lost a bit of weight and most of my clothes are too big now, bar the ones Ive bought.
    As already put somewhere Im going to grow more food that I actually eat, I know that sounds daft but I like trying new things but have found theres a lot Im not that keen on, so give it away!
    Anyway that enough waffling
    Nannyg

Oh and opened my homemade advent calendar yesterday, I bought brown envelopes (£l'nd) and filled them with Beanies coffee sachets but cheaply from HomeBargs, and very nice they are as well - no choc in sight!!
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• nannygladys
    Well the frugality continues, again I haven't been out so saved money and made flapjacks for visitors who took the leftovers home with them, I would only scoff the lot if left up to me!
    Having to go shopping tomorrow but will keep to shopping list, I try to menu plan but I never keep to it, so I tend to buy basics I need and then shop as and when, when needed. Im quite good at not shopping and cooking some odd creations though lol!!! Everybody is different.
    Nannyg
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.

• nannygladys
    I have had a look at the budgets for 2020, and they wont change a lot, so it will be a case of using up, mending and only buying when necessary. I would like to do some decorating though but I think theres a paint scrap store somewhere near so I will make enquires about that nearer the time, and any new accessories will be made or bought in CS, I have to get a clearer idea what I want in the room first. Oh and I must build the EF fund up again to a reasonable level.
    Nannyg
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover

• Hi all, I’ve had to change user name as I couldn’t log back in with my old one.

Could I please join next year?

Also, any tips for saving cash!!
    Grocery Challenge Jan 21 - £86.15/£360
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    BelleBaluu, all the links to the various moneysaving, costcutting and extra earnings that we've done over the past 12 years are listed in the very first posts at the start of this challenge - loads of reading materials there for you. Don't forget the basic rule of only buying what is absolutely essential and reuse, recycle or repair before replacing. If you need to buy, always price cmpare and if buying online, go via a cashback site so you get cash back in your pocket rather than in the advertiser's pocket :) My personal recommendation and friends referral link is https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/cyberdosh I joined this a few years back and even on my minimal spending habits, I have amassed almost £1,500 in cash back plus various vouchers and other offers. It has been well worth having the free 'membership' on this site. Also, if you are paying using a credit card, try to use one that pays cashback and only spend what you can afford to pay back in full each month if at all possible - every penny counts.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    It is absolutely torrential here and I got soaked to the skin so am now drying out, having a bowl of homemade lentil soup and contemplating how best to juggle extra income generation with current work and projects.my writing has taken a backseat and I completely missed the November nanowrimo challenge through complete lack of time, energy and focus.

We're no longer renting out holiday accommodation so that will reduce overheads and cuts out all the cleaning and admin. Now, however, all my spare time is being taken up rearing some orphaned foals that had been rescued. That's a whole other story best kept elsewhere. :) Christmas is a non starter here as there are no days off when nursing 'babies'. �� However, we'll fit in a proper cooked meal and I'll put the solar fairy lights back up again. Hope everyone is getting organised and planning for 2020.
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Crafty Lisa, thanks for sharing where you volunteer. Sounds like it is really rewarding.

Frugaldom, well done on rescuing those wee foals. What a beautiful act of compassion. To me that fits the spirit of Christmas so well and so much more than the rampant consumerism that seems to take over at this time each year.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Not been very frugal at the weekend, went to the theatre with dgd as part of her Xmas present - really good, and then into the big city for the day which was also enjoyable!! didn't spend too much but certainly more than I would if I'd been local, but then it wouldn't have been a day out for us!
    Anyway, going to check on pressies and cards this week and get them all sent off an make time to collect my new glasses. Xmas decorations now up and house looking cosy!
    Nannyg
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport